Do you still buy CDs?....VOL...BEST BUY

I just cancelled Apple Music and made the switch to Tidal
Yeah I've jumped around a bit. Was with Google Play Music before they split up the YouTube Red/GPM subscription. Then went to Spotify a bit, still use Spotify on my Xbox when at home/not listening to music on my phone. Then jumped to Tidal when 4:44 released. All had their pros and cons when it come to music selection(at least hip hop/rap wise) though.

Yeah I've jumped around a bit. Was with Google Play Music before they split up the YouTube Red/GPM subscription. Then went to Spotify a bit, still use Spotify on my Xbox when at home/not listening to music on my phone. Then jumped to Tidal when 4:44 released. All had their pros and cons when it come to music selection(at least hip hop/rap wise) though.

Apple music blocks songs mostly good songs from some albums I've been noticing tidal doesn't I used to use spotify but I had the free version. Nevermind

Last edited:
Google Play Music is way better than YouTube music. The shuffle is straight up broken on YouTube music and on the main page, it doesn't even show recently played songs half of the time, not to mention I have a hard time setting up a proper "que" list when I want to play specific songs by making my own list. Messy all around.

With Apple Music now streaming Hi-Res Lossless audio, there really no need to CD's anymore IMO.

Unless, you want the physical copy to play while offline.

I think it's necessary to actually own at least a digital copy and or a physical copy of any media you want. Not all music is available on streaming platforms and periodically some music is taken down and put back up later.

Every now and then I look for a song and only the edited version is available :smh:

When was the last time yall burned a cd :nerd:

I think it's necessary to actually own at least a digital copy and or a physical copy of any media you want. Not all music is available on streaming platforms and periodically some music is taken down and put back up later.

Every now and then I look for a song and only the edited version is available :smh:

You bring up a good point. Some music gets taken off streaming platforms due to contractual issues. Sometimes I'll experience some songs not being available in my region as well.

This is my exact reason for owning physical media. I see my sister paying for multiple streaming spots and I just can’t bring myself to do it. My original plan is to put all my music into an external hard drive and pull out songs onto a flash drive stick and into my car stereo.

I somewhat got back to actively doing it now. I already have a lot of Big Krit’s stuff on cd or my laptop, and very glad I do after his stuff was re-upped on streaming apps but of course songs had samples removed or the songs were removed entirely. Fat Joe & DJ Drama had released the really nice sample based EP sometime last month, and I had wanted to buy it cause I felt like it would eventually get removed, and of course that’s exactly what happened and I didn’t buy it on time, and now it’s like that EP doesn’t even exist.

Sometimes I'll experience some songs not being available in my region as well.

This is worse than the music being taken down completely or never on the service at all. It's on the platform and other people can listen to it but behind my imaginary line I can't.
Music blackout :lol: :smh:

I see my sister paying for multiple streaming spots and I just can’t bring myself to do it.

I'll grab those free trials like we did with Amazon Prime back in the day but paying to rent music was never an option for me.

People went from downloading MP3s and burning CDs/DVDs to paying $10-15 month to multiple companies to rent music, tv shows and movies. Paying for things we don't actually own.

Slowly but surely they flipped the game and it's gonna get much worse as time goes on. From entertainment, electronics, to cars etc

TBH, the business model for streaming services is pretty insane. We're playing for the convenience of never having to hoard physical media around.

But to be paying ~$15/month for just ONE streaming platform, and never really OWNING the media is kind of a rip off. It's more like a perpetual leasing agreement on a car.

Let's do the math and see if the economics makes any sense:

Apple Music: $10
Netflix: $17.99
Amazon Prime: $12.99
HBO Max: $11.99

That's about $53/month and you're not even owning any of that content, and you're not getting live sports.

Legendary...

1631208730556.jpeg

I somewhat got back to actively doing it now. I already have a lot of Big Krit’s stuff on cd or my laptop, and very glad I do after his stuff was re-upped on streaming apps but of course songs had samples removed or the songs were removed entirely. Fat Joe & DJ Drama had released the really nice sample based EP sometime last month, and I had wanted to buy it cause I felt like it would eventually get removed, and of course that’s exactly what happened and I didn’t buy it on time, and now it’s like that EP doesn’t even exist.

I didn't even know Fat Joe and Drama had a mixtape. That song with Sevyn Streeter :pimp:

I lost all of my digital music in 2017. Over the past 2 years or so I've been slowly rebuilding my collection and lot of stuff from the mixtape era and the blog era disappeared or is buried deep online. Once I cop more hard drives I'm gonna start saving everything...even stuff on Youtube and Instagram disappears

TBH, the business model for streaming services is pretty insane. We're playing for the convenience of never having to hoard physical media around.

But to be paying ~$15/month for just ONE streaming platform, and never really OWNING the media is kind of a rip off. It's more like a perpetual leasing agreement on a car.

We stopped hoarding cd's long before streaming services took over. Everyone had music on their Ipod, mp3 player or their phones. Even some older folks had little cheap mp3 devices. Apple/Itunes store and Netflix started this nonsense.

The only cd player I even have any more is in my car. I was pretty suprised when I broke out my CD collection and found out my PS4 won’t play them.

Having a physical copy trumps all.
I bought the Shawty Lo album on Amazon music and after he passed, something happened with the contract and it was removed from all streaming services and the CD jumped to something crazy like $50. I was SO salty. I contacted Amazon and of course there was nothing they could do. This is an album l paid for. You never own anything that's digital.

Bay area peeps: I miss Rasputin's.....

used to spend hours there when I was young....

Having a physical copy trumps all.
I bought the Shawty Lo album on Amazon music and after he passed, something happened with the contract and it was removed from all streaming services and the CD jumped to something crazy like $50. I was SO salty. I contacted Amazon and of course there was nothing they could do. This is an album l paid for. You never own anything that's digital.

You paid for the album but didn't download it from Amazon?

Whatever random person that owns Shawty Lo's masters is the issue not digital media. If you have a digital copy in your possession you own it otherwise you're renting it like with Spotify/Netflix.

Generally when you buy a physical copy on Amazon it comes with a MP3 version you can download.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom