Does NT listen to Reggaeton?

Feel like there is so much revisionist's history with the genre. Credit is not given to the real pioneers. See Vico C getting repped in here hard, but he was only known in PR. Going to the clubs in the city you never heard him. You know who was breaking into the rotation? El General. He made the early sound international. He got airtime on radio stations during normal hours, while everyone else had to be played at 1am in the morning being called underground. Dude made it so these artists could make some real money. Was getting played all over the world!

Going all around to here groups like Fulanito, Oro Solido, Grupo Mania at the Copa, LQ's, and a hundred other hole in the wall joints in Queens, NJ, and all over the tri-state, the only artist even close to reggaeton being played in between sets was El General. I know cats want to go back in time and claim credit for this and that, but those jokers are still stuck on an island if not for what he did.

Mad Props to El General for what he did. But at the end of the day, he belongs to the Reggae en Español (Reggae Panameño) movement, not the Reggaeton movement. Just talk to an old Panamanian head, and they'll tell you that El General never did Reggaeton. Saying El General is Reggaeton, its a common misconception. But I know the real history. That's why I don't rep El General on this thread.

Big Boy, Vico C, DJ Negro, Ruben DJ, Brewley MC, etc. These guys are the real first Reggaeton/Spanish Rap Pioneers.

My point is his music was the precursor that paved the way for the early reggaeton. Nobody was listening to Vico C outside the island. He was localized hip-hop. Spanish Rap.
This came out in '88. He may have evolved it from reggae, but you can't tell me this wasn't the inspiration for modern reggaeton.

I'm not denying the fact that Reggaeton was inspired by those Panamanian cats like El Gneral, cause they have even said it themselves. But El General was never part of the Reggaeton movement, like I said before. He represented the Spanish Reggae movement from Panama. The word Reggaeton was created in PR, so therefore it was only a Boricua thing at the time, nowadays other countries claim it... It is now the norm. You'll see Reggaeton from Colombia (J Balvin & Maluma), Honduras, Panama and when I say Panama I mean the ''NEW CATS'', Chile, etc.

Guess my point is PR always wants to take credit for stuff that's not theirs. They just good at rebranding stuff and giving it a different name.

Reggaeton, salsa, etc. The typical response is to always try to minimize other countries contributions by saying it just within the local country(ie Panamanian), when that is exactly what PR is. By those terms Vico C is just PR hip-hop.

Why is it that the people gravitated more to Reggaeton than the Spanish Reggae from Panama, the answer is cause it was much better. El General faded away, and after him there really wasn't any more artists coming out with hits, but on the other hand you had PR that was consistently coming out with them Underground hits. Prime example: Big Boy - ''Mis Ojos Lloran Por Ti''

Alberto Stylee - ''Vengo Acabando''

Don Chezina - ''Tra, Tra, Tra,''

Speedy - ''Hagamos El Amor Con La Ropa''

And the list goes on...

Fast forward to 2017 and I still don't see any Panamanian cats breaking records like the Boricuas Prime example: ''Despacito'' by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee. Nowadays the only ones who are comparable to the Reggaeton from PR, its Colombia (J Balvin & Maluma). Prime example: ''Mi Gente'' by J Balvin...

Last edited:
NEW TIRAERA: The original ''RIP CARBON'' song by Almighty

Almighty vs. Carbon Fiber Music (Farruko, Lary Over, etc.)

Dembow is used as Dominican Republic's own expression of Hip Hop, Rap, Reggae & Reggaeton

My point is his music was the precursor that paved the way for the early reggaeton. Nobody was listening to Vico C outside the island. He was localized hip-hop. Spanish Rap.
This came out in '88. He may have evolved it from reggae, but you can't tell me this wasn't the inspiration for modern reggaeton.

everyone knows that...El General used to get STUPID play in my hood. :pimp:

that said, da ricans perfected Reggaeton thanks to some Dominicans (luny tunes) and DJ blass's earlier joints, plus da playero tapes.

everyone knows that...El General used to get STUPID play in my hood. :pimp:

that said, da ricans perfected Reggaeton thanks to some Dominicans (luny tunes) and DJ blass's earlier joints, plus da playero tapes.

Luny Tunes were the SH*T! Those guys are Reggaeton legends...

I wish Luny Tunes would make some new beats. Luny is active on Instagram, but Tune is nowhere to be found on the Luny Tunes gram.

With Luny's partner MIA, I wonder why he hasn't put out anything new. Maybe Luny can't do it on his own and he needs his partner Tunes to make a beat?

People including me, are waiting for the Mas Flow 3 Album...

Flashback pic of Julissa Bermudez & DJ Sama (THE ROOF)
DJ Sama & Julissa Bermudez.jpg

Julissa Bermudez used to be the host of ''THE ROOF'' on mun2.

This was the first Reggaeton show here in the states. The Roof existed in the early 00's, and they played the classic/newest music videos. You used to see artists from PR going on that show to perform live like Tego Calderon, Big Boy, Baby Rasta & Gringo, Lito & Polaco, etc. DJs mixing live, and the Roof Angels dancing.
THE ROOF mun2.jpg

Shout out to RUBEN SAM the only Panamanian that was part of the Underground (REGGAETON) movement from PR. He actually lived on the island at the time, and used to come out in those Playero tapes, etc.

Other artists that were part of the movement who lived on the island but wasn't from PR...

Memo & Vale from Venezuela

Duke from Venezuela

Shout out to them to, they made some great songs!

LIT... MEMO & VALE

TIRAERA TALK: I already heard Farruko's tiraera for Almighty. I didn't even want to bother in posting it, cause it was terrible. I don't cosign that, Farruko is great in Reggaeton/Latin Trap, but not in Tiraera. Almighty so far is WINNING, and where the F*ck is Lary Over with his tiraera for Almighty lmao. Man, Almighty got this in the bag.
ALMIGHTY ''THE GAME CHANGER''

EVEN CATS ON YOUTUBE ARE REACTING TO ALMIGHTY'S TIRAERA!

Last edited:
ninjahood ninjahood This Quimico UltraMega - ''Dominican Playero'' song from 2017 was inspired by Playero and a Reggaeton song from 2001.

Quimico UltraMega - ''Dominican Playero'' Prod 3Nico La Baticueva (2017)

No fuimo' como en lo tiempo de ante'
eto' e' un pary de marquesina

Dime dime dime que e' lo que tienes entre la' piernota
Yo rompo condones como cosa loca
Me dijieron que tu fuma y ere' media loca
Vete al carajo y mamame la tota

^ That song was inspired by this one...

Great Kilo & La Gringa - ''Rompe Condones'' prod. DJ Blass (2001)

Dime lo que tienes entre las piernotas
Yo rompo condones como cosa loca
No tiene una bellotita, tiene una bellota
Vete al carajo y mámame la tota

Last edited:
There's a Colombian Reggaeton artist that goes by the name of Ronald El Killa. I cosign his music, cause he has a lot of talent. His latest tracks are featuring some Heavy Hitters of the genre (JOWELL & RANDY, MACKIE).

Back
Top Bottom