Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I'll be danged. I haven't walked into a Zara in years. Well off topic, this just reinforced that fact that fast fashion is the most lucrative of the bunch.

For sure, main reason H&M is popping up everywhere.

Uniqlo will have to open a lot more stores though, they are very stingy at the moment. They have, what? 2-3 stores in the US? Good luck with that. :lol:

Uniqlo will have to open a lot more stores though, they are very stingy at the moment. They have, what? 2-3 stores in the US? Good luck with that. :lol:
I believe H and M was the same. They had few stores but started expanding at a fast pace. I think it was about 7 years ago when they opened one in Pasadena and had folks lined up mad long to get in.

The interesting factor is that I think all of these firms are still privately held. Could be wrong on that though.

2-3 just I'm NYC, and they have 3 outside of NYC but still in the NY/NJ area which is still not enough stores to compete with H&M.

Did the one in SF open already?

Unoqlo is one of those brands that has a huge following and could really benefit from opening more stores. Hell people were paying for proxy to get Uniqlo stuff before there was an online store. Only reason I havent really purchased anything from Uniqlo is because I want to try them on first and am too lazy to make returns.

I check out blogs here and there, but I don't really keep up. I just wear what I like...pretty much how I go from Foamposites one day to double monks the next, word to Zara and their business model of never attending fashion shows.

I see what you mean and personally I don't think that someone with a good sense of style would wear the fits straight from the runway. However I do love the amount of creativity that is portrayed at these shows, to see what fashion design genius' have come up with....this may be a reason I like to look at haute couture or avant garde pieces more than ready-to-wear. Great source of inspiration and it's visible what trends will trickle down to the average consumer in a year or so.

That doesn't even make sense. You wear what you like while Zaras business plan is to steal from designers collection and have it out before those designers have theirs in stores because their turn around time is much faster. They do not do fashion shows because they do not have an original idea/design.

Your style and Zara are nothing alike. :lol:

I agree on this. In addition, I've found Zara to seem really cheap, the use of materials, the manufacturing are terrible in my opinion.

I see what you mean and personally I don't think that someone with a good sense of style would wear the fits straight from the runway. However I do love the amount of creativity that is portrayed at these shows, to see what fashion design genius' have come up with....this may be a reason I like to look at haute couture or avant garde pieces more than ready-to-wear. Great source of inspiration and it's visible what trends will trickle down to the average consumer in a year or so.

Fashion shows is usually a way to show off the designers vision. Some runway pieces aren't even wearable in real life, plenty doesn't make it to the stores.

But some of those looks can be replicated easily too. It ian't always "too out there" or ridiculous. Balenciaga for example has some good looks that you can pull of on a daily basis this season.

It also really depends on your style. Like Alexander Wang, it is more sporty and to other they may look at you and scoff but if it is your style, then it is your style and you'd wear it. Same can be said with Rick Owens.

Last edited:
here in sg , both h&m and uniqlo are well represented,there are alot more uniqlos, but h&m opened 3 new stores this mnth. in terms of quailty theyre about the same. uniqlos shirts fit better for asian body types, their oxfords and other button downs have higher arm holes and have shorter sleeves.

the best thing bout them though is everyweek theyll have this product that they put on sale. shirts that are sgd45 will become sgd35 or 30. it changes everyweek.

That is one of the biggest lies ever. Go to the store and you will see all styles are stolen from Balmain, Marc Jacobs, Balenciaga, etc... It's so blatant and obvious.

Not to be the C in this conversation but I just want to add my two sense. My mother has been in fashion since before I was born. She always rants about stuff you see in your stores is just rehashed stuff from an earlier time or an unknown designer without the international presence. Due to bureaucracy of big business originality has been striped away in the big fashion houses. So I will say, YES!! Zara does seem to rip allot of designers but those designers ripped it themselves. She worked for a couple big fashion houses and left because there was no way to keep what you were working on under wraps and it's customary to share what you were working on. Its a business of backstabing and under cutting behing the scenes which creates a situation where everybody knows what your doing and it allows others to run with your ideas.

I was with my mom in NY and I was looking at those Balmain biker denim and my mom was like (insert some italian name I cant remember or pronounce) is still in business.
I was like no these are Balmain. She was like oh well (insert another italian name I cant remember or pronounce) did something very similar in the 80's but it was a womens line and some other company that relatively unknown to Americans more recently (90's) decided remake for men. Balmain had the International presence so they ran with it.

My mom can do this all day in a department store. See a piece and recall the year she saw the design first and the company that did it. She like the rain man of fashion.

Some of the stuff RFX posted is real nice but man the black and white thing only works well with a few colors. White and beige come to mind. But aside than that... :frown:

Check out the Berluti fahion show I posted, it has more color in it's collection.

Fashion shows is usually a way to show off the designers vision. Some runway pieces aren't even wearable in real life, plenty doesn't make it to the stores.

This.

Moms said runway fashion is like prototyped cars more, they never make it to production but some aspects will.

Back
Top Bottom