Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Age old question... What do y'all think when it comes to navy blazers... Gold buttons or not?

Not to be the C in this conversation but I just want to add my two sense. My mother has been in fashion since before I was born. She always rants about stuff you see in your stores is just rehashed stuff from an earlier time or an unknown designer without the international presence. Due to bureaucracy of big business originality has been striped away in the big fashion houses. So I will say, YES!! Zara does seem to rip allot of designers but those designers ripped it themselves. She worked for a couple big fashion houses and left because there was no way to keep what you were working on under wraps and it's customary to share what you were working on. Its a business of backstabing and under cutting behing the scenes which creates a situation where everybody knows what your doing and it allows others to run with your ideas.

I was with my mom in NY and I was looking at those Balmain biker denim and my mom was like (insert some italian name I cant remember or pronounce) is still in business.
I was like no these are Balmain. She was like oh well (insert another italian name I cant remember or pronounce) did something very similar in the 80's but it was a womens line and some other company that relatively unknown to Americans more recently (90's) decided remake for men. Balmain had the International presence so they ran with it.

My mom can do this all day in a department store. See a piece and recall the year she saw the design first and the company that did it. She like the rain man of fashion.

At the end of the day, most are inspired by something, whether it is from workwear or naval or militaria, etc... Heck Margiela call his clothes replica and where and what was replicated.

The difference though is Zara is obviously not inspired by the biker jeans that bikes actually wore to protect themselves, they blatantly copied Balmain and other designers. Entering the store, you will even see rip off of sneakers that are currently popular at the time.

Not to say there aren't original work out there, there are plenty but I am sure you can trace the inspirations and where each garment/shoe came from.

Age old question... What do y'all think when it comes to navy blazers... Gold buttons or not?

Personal choice, gold buttons usually means it's a sport jacket (doesn't come with a matching pair of pants). Not to say that if it doesn't have gold buttons that it is automatically part of a blazer but those gold buttons are usually the indication that the jacket is a bit more casual than the usual suits.

As far as the Zara conversation, I think it's pretty clear... Zara lets you have the "look" of the newer high fashion houses for a huge discount... With quality that only last a few wears...

Last edited:
I prefer gold, but I also have 3 navy suits already. If I had no suits, I probably would go for a more subtle choice to make the jacket more versatile.

Yea I've got a navy suit... And a navy blazer with shiny gold buttons...RARELY wear it... Was considering changing them to a tonal blue, wasn't completely sold tho... I may keep the gold

Regarding the same Zara argument, I'd advise people to not pay full price for anything from them. I purchased two items at full price from them just to see it drop in price dramatically a few weeks later. The material is also crap. As mentioned before it is fast fashion, so cant expect much.

I love gold buttons on a navy blazer. This was why I bought my Thom Grey. It's a classic look.

I also love gold buttons but I only own one navy jacket n it belongs to that navy Thompson suit I got a couple months ago

Surprised this didn't make it here yet. Ludlow summer suit comes out to about 300 shipped after the coupon code is applied... I almost copped myself but I already bought a khaki suit n really need to invest in a black suit first.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_s...294+20~~~20+16+4294950391~15~~~~~~~/16899.jsp
Maybe it'd because I'm on my mobile. It's on sale for $273 from full price of $278?? :lol:

Cotton suit. And the color is faded black? :lol: when exactly would you wear this though? Not directed at you, my man btw. But black is a formal color. Faded black suit in cotton?

Last edited:
Looks fine untucked since it doesn't look like its long enough to cover your rear.
probably a dumb question, but is there terminology for "shirts that dont cover your rear?"
laugh.gif
kinda like how gingham depicts boxy patterns. cause buying casual shirts that clearly arent dress shirts online are a hit or miss, sometimes they arent long at all, but most of the time they cover the rear
mean.gif

Looks fine untucked since it doesn't look like its long enough to cover your rear.

probably a dumb question, but is there terminology for "shirts that dont cover your rear?" :lol: kinda like how gingham depicts boxy patterns. cause buying casual shirts that clearly arent dress shirts online are a hit or miss, sometimes they arent long at all, but most of the time they cover the rear :smh:

Sport shirts/casual shirts

Personal preference I guess, I'm not the biggest fan of gold buttons.

Berlutti seems to be the one show that most will like in here: http://nowfashion.com/28-06-2013-berluti-menswear-spring-summer-2014-paris-show-3891.html

The more traditional look but slim, no break on the pants and adding colors here and there.

Very nice collection indeed, I really like the use of burgundy.

Black and white is my forte

word.

Maybe it'd because I'm on my mobile. It's on sale for $273 from full price of $278?? :lol:

Cotton suit. And the color is faded black? :lol: when exactly would you wear this though? Not directed at you, my man btw. But black is a formal color. Faded black suit in cotton?
its actually pretty casual. it looks like seersucker

Wis ugood u taught me a lot and UENO,

but the only reason I posted is cuz the suit is able to be bought with the current coupon code which we all know is usually a no go.

When you mess with the options it looks as if faded black is the color the model is wearing which looks more like a light grey to me.

I see what you mean and personally I don't think that someone with a good sense of style would wear the fits straight from the runway. However I do love the amount of creativity that is portrayed at these shows, to see what fashion design genius' have come up with....this may be a reason I like to look at haute couture or avant garde pieces more than ready-to-wear. Great source of inspiration and it's visible what trends will trickle down to the average consumer in a year or so.
I agree on this. In addition, I've found Zara to seem really cheap, the use of materials, the manufacturing are terrible in my opinion.
I just saw a jacket almost identical to this:   in Zara, that laugh of the stock a while ago.

Zara are H&M level quality-wise IMO, of course they have stuff that's worse than H&M , really cheap like you said, those "Young" collections and such, but the higher end stuff is pretty ok.

Not worth the full price though. When they have sales, I buy some stuff for the rotations, like 7$ tees, 30$ blazers, 15$ pants, 20$ shirts, that are pretty ok if not worn on a regular basis. Also I only buy the natural materials: cotton, linen, wool, leather, anything else I pass.

So I picked up a pair of Gap Selvedge denim shorts from the GAP the other day for...$6.97. Crazy!

These are the pair.

Back
Top Bottom