Dressing Better Vol 2.0

For the heavier NTers.
I lost 40lb last year and all my dressing better clothes look like choppa suits and what not.
Now, this isn't about finding a tailor.
My question is are you happy being overweight?
I know buying clothes and finding deals is great but wouldnt you want to lose weight?
I sincerely apologize and am sorry if this post comes of as condescending or insulting.
I really want to hear some thoughts.
I wish I could combine the dressing better thread and team fitness thread ya know.
Sorry for the tangental rant.
W, I know you lost weight also so I'd like you to weigh in on this topic, pun intended

I've dealt with weight issues my whole life, due to it and I guess genetics I even developed Gynecomastia, which I had to get surgically corrected a couple of years back....at one point I was 200lbs 5'7 all fat, thankfully this was during the baggy clothes era so I hid behind huge clothes and wasn't worried about wearing fitted clothes, as I got older, I started to like more fitted stuff, so I focused more on losing weight and toning up, it's been an incredible difficult journey of up and down, I'm content where I'm at, although I'm having a harrrddd time toning my stomach...but is nothing serious at this point, I feel great in a fitted suit, something I've never felt a few years back, I feel great knowing I'm a 30-32 at te waist and a small/medium in shirts, I would like to build more muscle but itll come, I'm in no rush as I stopped thinking of the gym and a diet as something I should do to achieve a goal, but more I do because is part of my lifestyle...as a former big guy, I say that if you feel good naked in front of the mirror, you'll have the confidence to literally wear ANYTHING and make it look good....at least that's the way I feel...

Kinda eh, but good deal.

Dockers.com

40% off your order of $100 or more, no exclusions
Take 40% off your order of $100 or more. Enter promo code EARLYCYBER at checkout to apply discount to your order. Offer starts 12:00 PM EST (9:00 AM PST) and ends at 8:00 PM EST(5:00 PM PST) on 09/2*****12. 40% discount excludes gift certificates, packaging, taxes, and shipping and handling charges. 40% discount applies only to merchandise in your cart and no price match adjustments will be provided.

For the heavier NTers.
I lost 40lb last year and all my dressing better clothes look like choppa suits and what not.
I know buying clothes and finding deals is great but wouldnt you want to lose weight?
I sincerely apologize and am sorry if this post comes of as condescending or insulting.
I wish I could combine the dressing better thread and team fitness thread ya know.
W, I know you lost weight also so I'd like you to weigh in on this topic, pun intended

I've lost 25lbs so far and honestly I'm glad I have and I intend to keep it off, while hopefully loosing some more pounds. Quick note: I've noticed that my stomach has gotten smaller but not my chest, any workout suggestions for this?
From what I've read/heard you can't target specific areas to lose weight. when you cut weight, you lose it first in your stomach but the fat from your chest is the last to go.

From what I've read/heard you can't target specific areas to lose weight. when you cut weight, you lose it first in your stomach but the fat from your chest is the last to go.
Def not.

Limbs/extremities is usually the first to go. Arms, neck for example. Stomach is the last, hence why so many people in the staying fit thread ask over and over again how to get rid of stubborn belly fat.

I've dealt with weight issues my whole life, due to it and I guess genetics I even developed Gynecomastia, which I had to get surgically corrected a couple of years back....at one point I was 200lbs 5'7 all fat, thankfully this was during the baggy clothes era so I hid behind huge clothes and wasn't worried about wearing fitted clothes, as I got older, I started to like more fitted stuff, so I focused more on losing weight and toning up, it's been an incredible difficult journey of up and down, I'm content where I'm at, although I'm having a harrrddd time toning my stomach...but is nothing serious at this point, I feel great in a fitted suit, something I've never felt a few years back, I feel great knowing I'm a 30-32 at te waist and a small/medium in shirts, I would like to build more muscle but itll come, I'm in no rush as I stopped thinking of the gym and a diet as something I should do to achieve a goal, but more I do because is part of my lifestyle...as a former big guy, I say that if you feel good naked in front of the mirror, you'll have the confidence to literally wear ANYTHING and make it look good....at least that's the way I feel...

I have struggled with weight and weight loss also. I have to be constantly working out to keep my weight down at late 190's - 200; where i try to be. I can't even imagine being the 175 the BMI scale requires of me. I will have the biggest head ever if i lost that much weight. I lost 45 lbs through spin classes, but havent been as focused lately with lots of travel. I need to get back on it as i am creeping back up slowly.

My clothes almost fit perfect at 200, so so at 205 and then pretty bad at 210 and above. The chest is the worst for me. I think more weight goes into my chest than my stomach. Its the part i keep struggling with. After that is the gut. When i exceed my weight range, you'll usually see me in a lot of un-buttoned suits when i push 210+. Interestingly shoulders seem to fit irrespective of the weight i have, and being that the shoulder and chest are most difficult to fit, i have had fair success getting stuff altered up and down.

Kinda eh, but good deal.
Dockers.com
Take 40% off your order of $100 or more. Enter promo code EARLYCYBER at checkout to apply discount to your order. Offer starts 12:00 PM EST (9:00 AM PST) and ends at 8:00 PM EST(5:00 PM PST) on 09/2*****12. 40% discount excludes gift certificates, packaging, taxes, and shipping and handling charges. 40% discount applies only to merchandise in your cart and no price match adjustments will be provided.
hows the quality/fitting of dockers? never ordered from them, but they have a sale going already and an extra 40% is pretty nice

For the heavier NTers.

I've always had the muscular big guy look. Always worked out, never really watched what I ate, so I have a lot of bulk. I'm trying to lean out at this point, shed excess fat. The good thing is that it doesn't affect the way my dress clothes fit in the shoulder area. So shoulder fit isn't an issue. I've had to size/slim down a couple of suits, and taken in a few of my dress shirts already. Chest and shoulder fit is still good, body needs to be taken in. Pants have been adjusted as well.

I've held off on buying clothes for now, especially a suit until I get down to my goal weight. Sometimes though, sales are hard to pass up, like the BB F&F, itchy trigger finger right now.

Kinda eh, but good deal.

Dockers.com

hows the quality/fitting of dockers? never ordered from them, but they have a sale going already and an extra 40% is pretty nice
DOCKERS is awesome quality. I would buy, but since I am trying to loose weight I decided to pass.

Damn, not sure if I should cop a pair of AE Neumora or wait for a Kent Wang restock.

I copped two pairs of the dockers alpha khaki chinos. Retail is usually 60 but with the 40% code, it was 70.80 for 2 :smokin

Just bought a pair of slim fit cargos off of Lands End, and there is a 30% off + free shipping coupon code out there if anyone is interested. The coupon even works on sale/clearance stuff

Very basic request. I'm a simply-dressed guy outside of work, casual because of being in a suit most days. Always stuck with very plain Gap jeans because of the natural fit. Any other recommendations along the same lines for jeans?

DOCKERS is awesome quality. I would buy, but since I am trying to loose weight I decided to pass.
thanks. bought 2 pairs of khakis
nthat.gif

Via Details

The Best Tailors and Custom Suit-Makers

Your most important relationship is with your tailor. These 12 wizards are the best in America. Plus, the world's finest bespoke suit-makers and made-to-measure programs—so there's no excuse for ill-fitting anything anymore.

• • •

AMERICA'S BEST TAILORS

BEVERLY HILLS
Novex Custom Tailor
The Turnbull & Asser location nearby refers clients here.
9709 Santa Monica Blvd., 310-205-0421

BOSTON
Newbury Tailoring Company
Antonio Rivas, who's been tailoring for 47 years, advises getting a half-break instead of a full break, which "bunches up and looks terrible."
116 Newbury St., 617-437-9180

CHICAGO
Gus' Tailor Shop
Chicagoans know Gus for his meticulous attention to detail. You may spend an hour getting pinned, but that focus guarantees a first-rate result.
913 N. Ashland Ave., 773-276-6773

Richard Bennett Custom Tailors & Shirtmakers
This storied shop is the go-to for many local athletes, including the Bears' Henry Melton and the Bulls' John Salmons.
175 W. Jackson Blvd., 312-913-1100

NEW YORK CITY
Dynasty Custom Clothing
Owner Joseph Ting offers expert adjustments of jacket sleeves (he shortens from the shoulder) and torsos (he'll tell you when it's too tight).
6 E. 38th St., 212-679-1075

Wilfred's Tailor
Many guys come to owner Wilfredo Rosario wanting to alter the shoulders of their suits. "Big is fixable," he says. "Eighty percent of the time, small is not."
20 W. 23rd St., 212-242-3030

Bhambi's Custom Tailors
If you get a pinstriped suit made at this 44-year-old shop (whose clients include Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan), owner Harry Bhambi makes sure the stripes on the lapels align with the ones on the jacket—which many top designers don't do.
14 E. 60th St., Suite 610, 212-935-5379

MIAMI
John Custom Tailoring
If you're pressed for time, owner John Khoury will do same-day alterations for no additional charge.
5609 SW 74th St., 305-667-8768

SAN FRANCISCO
Seymour's Fashions
Co-owner Ravi Bulchandani warns guys not to go too short: "The last thing you want is for part of your butt to be showing."
211 Sutter St., Suite 701, 415-421-6103

Gian Decaro Sartoria Tailors & Shirtmakers (Pictured throughout)
Descended from Italian tailors, Gian DeCaro has built an empire known for impeccable alterations, custom suiting, and a ready-to-wear line.
2025 First Ave., Suite D, 206-448-2812

SEATTLE
Kuhlman
This old-timey shop below the Ace Hotel offers top-notch alterations, plus a bespoke suit-making service and quality menswear.
2419 First Ave., 206-441-1999

WASHINGTON, D.C.
Christopher Kim's
The Korean-born owner applies more than a half-century of experience to taking in jacket waists and tapering pants, his most common requests.
2000 M St. NW, 202-955-5467

THE WORLD'S FINEST BESPOKE SUIT-MAKERS

LONDON
Henry Poole & Co.
The first tailoring shop on Savile Row, this seventh-generation family business is credited with inventing the tuxedo. (From $5,100.)
15 Savile Row, 44-20-7734-5985

LOS ANGELES
Jonathan Behr Bespoke
Known for his bold patterns, punchy linings, and waistcoats, the 46-year-old Behr's shop is frequented by Mad Men's wardrobe department. (From $2,200.)
5455 Wilshire Blvd., 323-326-8792

NEW YORK CITY
Mr. Ned
Beloved by Wes Anderson, Istanbul native Nuran "Ned" Mateosian aims to make garments that reflect the sensibility of the wearer, not the tailor. (From $850.)
137 Fifth Ave., 212-924-5042

PARIS
Cifonelli
The 132-year-old suit-maker is renowned for its attention to detail—only the Cifonellis cut fabric—and blending of Italian and French traditions. (From $6,500.)
33 rue Marbeuf, 33-1-4359-3913

MILAN
Gianni Campagna
A winner of the Golden Needle (tailoring's Oscar), Campagna hand-stitches 99 percent of each suit—a jacket typically takes 60 hours of work. (From $6,000.)
24 Via Palestro, 39-0277-8811

5 DESIGNER MADE-TO-MEASURE PROGRAMS

ALFRED DUNHILL
Established: 2003
Silhouettes: Two (the classic St. James and the slimmer Belgravia)
Options: More than 300 fabrics; single- or double-breasted; peak or notch lapels; working buttonholes; ticket pocket
Wait: Eight weeks
Price: $2,100 to $6,000

SALVATORE FERRAGAMO
Established: 2012
Silhouettes: Two (the traditional Tailor and the more fitted Derby)
Options: About 250 fabrics; single- or double-breasted; flap or besom pockets; working buttonholes; horn, metal, or mother-of-pearl buttons; embroidered initials
Wait: Five weeks
Price: $2,200 to $9,000

ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA
Established: 1972
Silhouettes: Three (the fitted Milano, the wider Roma, and the very constructed Couture)
Options: More than 500 fabrics; single- or double-breasted; one or two vents; working buttonholes; assorted button shapes and materials
Wait: Four to five weeks
Price: $2,895 to $11,000

BRIONI
Established: 1970s
Silhouettes: 15 (including the ultra-trim Brunico and the relaxed Piuma)
Options: 300 fabrics; single- or double-breasted; peak or notch lapels; lapel width; working buttonholes; ticket pocket; linings
Wait: Six to eight weeks
Price: $6,000 to $40,000

RALPH LAUREN PURPLE LABEL
Established: 1997
Silhouettes: Two (one slim, one relaxed)
Options: 250 fabrics; two or three buttons; peak or notch lapels; throat latch
Wait: Six to eight weeks
Price: $5,600 to $34,000

Back
Top Bottom