Dressing Better Vol 2.0

For those who wear Nike running shoes, they fit pretty snug for the most part, frees, fly knits, newer air maxes, as most of you know.

My question is: do you guys buy ur regular size or do you size up. One person at a runner store told me that nike makes them snug on purpose so that it feels like a second skin and you should just buy ur normal size as long as it doesn't feel "tight" or constricts your feet.
Just wondering what you guys prefer.
I take a 10 in the Flyknit lunar and can't think of going smaller. I'm a 9 in most Nikes and Jordans by the way.

The con to having a snug fit is the front of the shoes where your toes are, your toes will struck the front which will be very uncomfortable. I've had personal experience where the nail turned purple because of the constant contusion.

This is weird, it only happens to me when playing basketball because the constant stop and go makes you foot slip forward making your toe/toenails hit the front when there is extra space. Even if I lock down the laces it still slides unless I double up on socks. I never experienced this in running because I do not really move where I would do a sudden stop and the toe would quickly slip froward.

This is also why I like my shoe to fit spot on for doing activities like playing basketball, plyo, HIIT, running, etc... That slippage just murders my toenails. I like them to hit my toe just right and I can adjust it with thicker or thinned socks in time. Most Nikes also stretch a bit so I can afford to have my toe slightly hit front.

In the end, it is just personal preference though and how you move/run, just like how people have different pronation. Like for just walking or chilling, I prefer to have about half a size or less space than a spot on fit.

Last edited:
Oh yeah some folks say Flyknit stretches with wears, mine didn't. I've had mine for 6 weeks or so now. I wear them to the gym at least 5 times a week. I was waiting to see if they'd stretch or not before copping a second pair.

RFX: solution: become a 3 pt shooter and play no d :pimp:

what do you guys think of the alfani red slim suit from Macys? I have a few of them and I was considering bring it to the tailor but I was also thinking of maybe just selling it on ebay and using that money to buy a better quality suit.

Is it a suit that you would be wearing on a regular basis or here and then? If it's often you may want to invest in a quality suit or even go MTM route.

what do you guys think of the alfani red slim suit from Macys? I have a few of them and I was considering bring it to the tailor but I was also thinking of maybe just selling it on ebay and using that money to buy a better quality suit.
definitely not going to be worth selling it on ebay.

Oh yeah some folks say Flyknit stretches with wears, mine didn't. I've had mine for 6 weeks or so now. I wear them to the gym at least 5 times a week. I was waiting to see if they'd stretch or not before copping a second pair.

They loosen a bit but they definitely don't stretch. My Racers have been without a doubt the most durable sneaker I've ever owned.

Go for it dude. If it fits how you like in the shoulders.

I have been hanging out with pops allot lately. We really haven't hung out since the late 90's. Back then he was real big on custom made suits and high end stuff. I recently watched him make a million dollar deal in a Marshall's suit. I tried to get him to go to Suit Supply while we were in NY but he wasn't having it, too expensive. He told me that he didn't need an expensive suit to make millions but he did need the suit. On another occasion I volunteered to take the jackets of all peps at his recent meeting. It was about 10 people and they had a collective income of about a billion and all had companies that bared their names on multi-story buildings. I looked at the tags on those jackets and they were all brands that could be found at Marshall's. Looked in lot and the most expensive car I saw was an Lexus LSF with used dealer plate frames. It really made me think.

I will say my pops has an ungodly amount of suits.

Tailoring is your friend. Spend less on clothes and more on tailoring. You can make some unknown brands look really good.

I doubt you'd be able to get much for them on eBay but it might be worth trying that first. Start at a price or set a reserve that it would be worth it for you to sell it. If you can't, you're better off get it tailored as long as it fits in the shoulders and wouldn't take a huge job.

thanks for all the replies guys! I don't really remember the exact price I paid for the suits, but i think i got each of the suits for $150 or under. I want my suit to fit me more slim but I'm pretty sure I would have to get it tailor and I'm not sure what's a good price to get everything altered and if I would have to spend a lot to get everything done. I would only wear these suits on an occasion since my workplace is business casual. I am about 5'8, 165lbs with an athletic built and I wear a 36R and 30/30. So far, I know I would have get the sleeves shorten, alter the shoulders, hem and taper pants.I was thinking of selling it on ebay and then maybe picking some suits at Express.

thanks for all the replies guys! I don't really remember the exact price I paid for the suits, but i think i got each of the suits for $150 or under. I want my suit to fit me more slim but I'm pretty sure I would have to get it tailor and I'm not sure what's a good price to get everything altered and if I would have to spend a lot to get everything done. I would only wear these suits on an occasion since my workplace is business casual. I am about 5'8, 165lbs with an athletic built and I wear a 36R and 30/30. So far, I know I would have get the sleeves shorten, alter the shoulders, hem and taper pants.I was thinking of selling it on ebay and then maybe picking some suits at Express.
post pics of how it fits now and we can make suggestions. i'm about your size and wear a 38/40S so i have a feeling your fit may be off

Altering shoulders on cheap sutis are definitely not worth it, it'll probably cost you an extra $30-$50 and you can buy a new suit instead for the same price as those Alfani suits.

Brown most definitely isn't but it all depends on the shoes.
You replied faster than I edited my post
laugh.gif
what about AE Walnut Strands?    

Did these just come out? AE Mora 2.0. These are a thing of beauty, nice rounded toe.

Last edited:
Are brown shoes (walnut strands) to an interview too informal?
I highly doubt they will care unless your job is at a fashion firm.

For most jobs out there, including highly paid positions, you can show up in orthopedic style Rockports and get the job if you have the knowledge required.

Got my H&M Sweats. They fit pretty good, but the cuff could be better. Think I'll order the cotton pairs next though

Also, the shoulders cannot be fixed, if it's baggy on you, it will be baggy after altering.

I wouldn't do it. I did it to a couple of Lacoste polos for experimenting and gave away after.

I think it's Mythbusters time.:nerd: dun dun dun
DIYers have been re-sizing shirts and posting them on blogs for a loooong time, why exactly do alternations/tailors turn people away?

I can say from experience that this method works:
http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/09/diy-alteration-tutorial-sewingresizing.html

Last edited:

JC Penny has a super slim line that's $130 right now. JF Fere i think its called.

Last edited:
Needed some club shoes so I picked these up at Macys. Had to order a 12 since they ran large. Hoping these take a beating pretty well for $80

Donald J Pliner

I think it's Mythbusters time.:nerd: dun dun dun
DIYers have been re-sizing shirts and posting them on blogs for a loooong time, why exactly do alternations/tailors turn people away?

I can say from experience that this method works:
http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/09/diy-alteration-tutorial-sewingresizing.html
Turn who away? A lot of us here frequent tailors on a regular basis. Almost every single pair of my trousers have made a visit to the tailor.

Tailoring has its limitation. It's like trying to turn a size 36 pants into size 30...it's not going to work. The pockets are going to be too close and the pattern won't look so nicely done, and when you run a cost/benefit, it's better off to buy new items.

I've had my tailor done a lot of things, from tailoring a cardigan to letting out jackets. I'm sure she can alter the shoulders on a shirt to make them smaller, but it's not worth it for some $100 polo since her rates are not the cheapest due to her skills.

Trust that I had the thought of tailoring my clothes when I dropped the lbs, but wasn't worth it when it's all said and done.

Back
Top Bottom