Dressing Better Vol 2.0

That is overdressed for the mall/movies with friends/to get groceries? Leather jackets are casualwear for the most part.
Yup if you ride motorcycles.  You dressing up in a leather jacket to go to local walmart for some deodorant?

Hey, no hate, it's an ok list and I have plenty of those listed but it looks like you are saying it is an essential for everyone. Just a bit misleading.

I think we did this on the old thread but it would be good to see a good essential list for people but limit it to 10 items. I guess look at it this way, if you are to go out of town for the weekend, what 10 items must you have no matter what.

The list of eleven essential menswear items ("Exactly one essential better than your average 'Ten Essentials List'") from the FYMW book is pretty good IMO:

1. Oxford Cloth Button-Down
2. Levi's (or any pair of dark, well-fitting denim)
3. Vans (White Authentics)
4. Navy Knit Tie
5. Chinos (Khaki)
6. Navy Sportcoat
7. Ray-Bans (Wayfarers)
8. Engine-Turned Belt
9. Penny Loafers
10. Duffel Coat
11. Grey Suit

That is overdressed for the mall/movies with friends/to get groceries? Leather jackets are casualwear for the most part.
Yup if you ride motorcycles.  You dressing up in a leather jacket to go to local walmart for some deodorant?

If that is the jacket I have closest to the door when I step out and it's cold? Yes.
It's actually either a leather jacket or a jean jacket for me for running errands, rarely a hoody or other jackets.

My uncle has maybe 2 coats and one is a leather jacket and that is all he wears during fall/winter. It has developed a great patina and wear and looks great and while he isn't one of those "stylish" dudes with fitted/slim clothes, that leather jacket looks great on him.

Plus not all leather jackets are made for riding a motorcycles.

Last edited:
My Top 9 Item List (because I can't think of the last item :lol: )

1. Broken-in or sun-dried chinos (J.Crew 484 fit)
2. Pocket crew t-shirt (Everlane)
3. Rayban wayfarers (2132 model)
4. Mocc socks
5. Vans LP navy slip-ons
6. AA hoodie
7. Lightweight chino shorts (J.Crew)
8. Snap backpack (Everlane)
9. Oxford button down in smoke (Everlane) - I want to add, the fit on these are perfect for me :smokin

Last edited:
I have no idea what's going on in this thread anymore.

Feels like those awful dressing better tidbits are getting thrown around again and people are acting like their opinion is the be all, end all. MINE is that you should do what works for you but versatility is great and so is being open to change.
Where are you getting this from?

See the quote below. Stuff like that plus "lists of essentials to dressing better" that include multiple colors of hoodies & cargos ( :lol: ) plus 5 pairs of jeans as well as stupid **** like "a gentleman would never be caught in public wearing sweats" etc etc. If you're just wearing tees, hoodies, cargos & sneakers...it's great if they fit well but that's just ordinary. Nothing wrong with it, I've got plenty of tees, jeans & sneakers but are you gonna go out somewhere decent in that? Post that list in the "real DB thread" and let me know how that works out. Maybe for YOU wearing a leather jacket is only if you're riding a motorcycle. No D ride and I don't like or agree with everything RFX posts or likes but it at least seems like he's got better style than you based on what you've posted.

It's just funny how you came in here (I have no idea what your previous SN was) like you owned the place, demanding answers and otherwise telling people what's what. It's like you already seem to know everything now that you've found that Nas polo so...kick rocks.

See the quote below. Stuff like that plus "lists of essentials to dressing better" that include multiple colors of hoodies & cargos (
laugh.gif
) plus 5 pairs of jeans as well as stupid **** like "a gentleman would never be caught in public wearing sweats" etc etc. If you're just wearing tees, hoodies, cargos & sneakers...it's great if they fit well but that's just ordinary. Nothing wrong with it, I've got plenty of tees, jeans & sneakers but are you gonna go out somewhere decent in that? Post that list in the "real DB thread" and let me know how that works out. Maybe for YOU wearing a leather jacket is only if you're riding a motorcycle. No D ride and I don't like or agree with everything RFX posts or likes but it at least seems like he's got better style than you based on what you've posted.

It's just funny how you came in here (I have no idea what your previous SN was) like you owned the place, demanding answers and otherwise telling people what's what. It's like you already seem to know everything now that you've found that Nas polo so...kick rocks.
Bruh you be catching feelings for all my posts. I had to report you last time for your "flamming" in my Nas thread and here you are continuing. Its well known that I'm not new so stop behaving as such. I come here in peace bruh because I'm interested in sharing my opinion on dressing better. In regards to majority of my advice/tips its the same as everyone elses in the sense that its based on personal opinion. Your free to do whatever you please... not my life... not my problem. However an opinion is allowed and it is what it is. I would just suggest you relax a little and continue to CONTRIBUTE DB posts that are positive and not thread derailing(kind of like this entire post lol, but I had to).

Last edited:
See the quote below. Stuff like that plus "lists of essentials to dressing better" that include multiple colors of hoodies
Bruh you be catching feelings for all my posts. I had to report you last time for your "flamming" in my Nas thread and here you are continuing. Its well known that I'm not new so stop behaving as such. I come here in peace bruh because I'm interested in sharing my opinion on dressing better. In regards to majority of my advice/tips its the same as everyone elses in the sense that its based on personal opinion. Your free to do whatever you please... not my life... not my problem. However an opinion is allowed and it is what it is. I would just suggest you relax a little and continue to CONTRIBUTE DB posts that are positive and not thread derailing(kind of like this entire post lol, but I had to).

:lol: Believe me I didn't catch feelings. There's a big difference between thinking someone's annoying and feeling it's serious enough to report someone for "flamming" (rhymes with spamming?). I just wouldn't trust your opinion on anything. I can tell you're not new here but I have no idea who you are and when it comes down to it, I don't really care.

*Back to ignore*

yikes. i'm really happy scars and i are bffs and i'm not on the receiving end of his scorn most days. he's got a zero-tolerance rule for pretension.

Last edited:
Hey, no hate, it's an ok list and I have plenty of those listed but it looks like you are saying it is an essential for everyone. Just a bit misleading.

I think we did this on the old thread but it would be good to see a good essential list for people but limit it to 10 items. I guess look at it this way, if you are to go out of town for the weekend, what 10 items must you have no matter what.
I did a list a year ago (A Baboon Cow) was supposed to get it on the First post

Wait....you are "A Baboon Cow"?!?!? It all makes sense now....or you're just that good of a new troll.

Reactions: wj4
Love my zanerobe sure shots. Anyone know if there is a place to get dynamo's? Other then their online store that ships from austrailia?

So many rules, geez....the key to being well dressed is looking good in whatever you throw on, if you can manage to make sweats and a Henley presentable, you sir have good style, honestly just like food, anything in extremes can harm you, wearing a suit everyday kind of takes the magic of suiting up away...wearing kicks everyday kind of do the same...a nice variety keeps you fresh, at least IMO

PL sweats sa da tay! Sized up one for lil drop crotch nut hang sepatown! Out in public doe, NO. See, my damie, don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?. Been pitching wood tents mo comfy mo morning and got a good nut breeze. Walk around no steppin on my back sweatin and rippin is nice to dip kicks, sandals too (on the back porch). And thats why I like the ankle cuff.

I think the Top 10 list is a good idea and I'll just keep my other comments to myself as I don't care to get reported...again.

As my family lives in LA and my wife's family in Florida, I travel a bit, sometimes for a few days and sometimes for a week or two, so when I usually pack I literally use this list to pack.

1. Navy Suit or Gray Suit (each piece can be worn as separates so it gets multiple wears through the trips and can with mostly everything on the list below)
2. White Dress Shirt
3. White/Blue Stripe Dress Shirt
4. Light Blue Dress Shirt
5. White/Purple Micro-Check Dress Shirt
6. Short Sleeve button up shirt for casual wear, regards to color I like to pack up with white/red/blue micro check one
7. Dark Denim
8. Brown Dress Shoes
9. 1 Pair of Sneakers
10. Khaki chinos

11. Navy or khaki shorts (considering Florida is always hot as hell)

I probably don't live by this list much myself but here are things I have sort of gathered from being a part of this thread over the last 2 or so years.

1. Good pair of Dark Denim that fits well (if you can go selvedge thats great if not fit obviously most important)
2. Navy Sport Coat
3. Pair of khakis
4. White Dress Shirt
5. A pair of brown or Black Wingtips depending on your preference (I prefer brown), depending on your stage in life this can be changed to beeswax desert boots
6. A pair of low profile sneaks (Vans or Purcells are probably best but this is NT lets just say that most of us have our own preferences)
7. Ray-bans
8. grey/ charcoal suit
9. A striped shirt to change it up a bit
10. iphone for the YAMBs cuz NTers love the Yambs

What does "wearing it out" mean? Going to the mall? DO people really dress up to go to the mall? Go to the supermarket? Walking the dog? Chilling/going to the movies with your friends?

I think people are just tired wearing ugly baggy sweatpants and I don't see why you can't go out looking like these.

I don't really like it but that's me, I don't like wearing shorts either besides ball shorts. I'll always throw on some jeans before sweats if I'm going anywhere that's not a gym.

In regards to essentials when building your wardrobe. I really like this list Nii came up with on tumblr a while back

In the last couple weeks I have received a few questions about the basic items or essentials one needs to construct (or initiate) the construction of a decent wardrobe. The topic in itself is nothing new, and i am sure many of the blogs, forums and magazines out there have addressed this in one way or another. My hope is that i can add a little more to all the information already out there.

As a new dressing better convert, it is easy to get caught up in a frenzy of buying activity - racing from one online shop to the next, from your neighborhood thrift store to eBay and everything in between buying any and everything that remotely looks like a good “fit”. I will preface this advice by encouraging patience. Patience is key in achieving a stellar wardrobe. Most people you see with a wardrobe you envy, probably built it over the course of several years, so patiently work your way starting with the basics/essentials and then filling in the open spots with the items you desire to round your wardrobe.

To put a slight twist on this topic, i’ll break up my recommendations into two sections. It will be essentially the same items, but made by different brands and at different price points.

Invest in quality pieces that will last a long time. then with time add the other components. By default all items should fit very well, so my other advice would be that do not settle for items that do not fit great. Search high and low till you find the right fitting items, or work with a competent tailor to get the items altered to the right fit.

Essentials at a low price point:

one pair of khaki flat front pants.
one pair of dark wash denim jeans
one pair of grey flannel/wool flat front pants
two white oxford shirts (one spread color, one button-down collar)
three blue based shirts (one solid blue, one striped blue, one gingham)
one brown belt
one black belt
one pairof leather soled brown captoe
one pairof leather soled black captoe
one pairof low profile sneakers (jack purcells, stan smith or rod lavers)
two navy blazers (one cotton/linen for the s/s and one wool/cashmere blend for the a/w)
a charcoal gray suit
a navy suit
two to four ties(color choices are a personal preference. pindots, stripes and solids are easiest to blend into a wardrobe)

Essentials at a mid/high price point:

one pair of khaki flat front pants.
one pair of dark wash denim jeans
one pair of grey flannel/wool (flat or pleated) pants
two white oxford shirts (one spread color, one button-down collar)
three blue based shirts (one solid blue, one striped blue, one gingham)
one brown belt
one black belt
one pair of leather soled brown captoe
one pair of leather soled black captoe
one pair of low profile sneakers (common projects, lanvin etc)
two navy blazers (one cotton/linen for the s/s and one wool/cashmere blend for the a/w)
a charcoal gray suit
a navy suit
two to four ties(color choices are a personal preference. pindots, stripes and solids are easiest to blend into a wardrobe)

Last edited:
Since we posting lists.

Dressing formal

-2 suits grey/navy any other color is really a novelty, not an essential
-variety of different white dress shirts
-splurge on ties, socks, can't ever have too many of those
-2 or 3 gingham shirts
-a reversible belt
-2 pairs of shoes black/brown (my pref are wingtips)

To me those are the essentials and with a simple swap of shirts, combinations are endless.

So many rules, geez....the key to being well dressed is looking good in whatever you throw on, if you can manage to make sweats and a Henley presentable, you sir have good style, honestly just like food, anything in extremes can harm you, wearing a suit everyday kind of takes the magic of suiting up away...wearing kicks everyday kind of do the same...a nice variety keeps you fresh, at least IMO

I agree with everything you just said; not so much rules as it is preferences and everyone has different preferences. That's what makes your style yours and not just whatever you imitate on from blogs

Last edited:
Since we posting lists.

Dressing formal

-2 suits grey/navy any other color is really a novelty, not an essential
-variety of different white dress shirts
-splurge on ties, socks, can't ever have too many of those
-2 or 3 gingham shirts
-a reversible belt
-2 pairs of shoes black/brown (my pref are wingtips)

To me those are the essentials and with a simple swap of shirts, combinations are endless.

Steezy this is a great list (just because I have all this stuff lol)

Back
Top Bottom