Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Any of you NYC dudes ever been to Housing Works Thrift store?

A friend of mine just moved up there recently and she found some steals. Today she found Helmut Lang and Theory pants that seem to be brand new for 5 bucks each
When I went I found a nice heavyweight tie for $8 but it was too short after I knotted it up. Passed.
There's some dope stuff for women but the men's section is small and rather crappy. Maybe I just caught it on a bad day.

So fellas I'm responsible for styling the groomsmen in my broinlaws wedding as per te bride request, it's a beach wedding so she wants casual and showed me more or less what she wants, we skipping on shoes and wearing kicks, no suit jacket, white shirt, black pindot bowtie, sand color pants, black suspenders....I guess my question is where can I get the pants??...does TAT or SuitSupply sell just pants?...she wants a very slim silhoutte...what about the shirts?...any suggestions on kicks, I was thinking black chucks or JP's

Damn. So sand colored pants with black accessories? Can't eem swing navy doe?

But yes TaT does do just pants but can't have any large cats in that circle. Perhaps indochino for a MTM route. Then again that color/weight would not be sold currently because it's getting colder. Why not OTR then alter?

Edit: For shirts get the the whole group to order Modern Tailor's $25 MTM test shirt deal.
Have all details match, just adjust for sizes. Bet it'll save a bundle.

Last edited:
What the hell... how do you get these shoes for so cheap, people just donate them or something, they have lots of life left, who throws them away?

I cant do the whole thirfting other people shoes steez. Its like wearing someone elses underwear. Some of these folks have got some nasty chit going on with there feet.

You've never bought sneakers that were worn?

Nope never.

When I shop for clothes, I like them still wrapped in the plastic. If its not, it goes straight to the wash or cleaners.

Last edited:
What the hell... how do you get these shoes for so cheap, people just donate them or something, they have lots of life left, who throws them away?

I cant do the whole thirfting other people shoes steez. Its like wearing someone elses underwear. Some of these folks have got some nasty chit going on with there feet.

You've never bought sneakers that were worn?

Nope never.

When I shop for clothes, I like them still wrapped in the plastic. If its not, it goes straight to the wash or cleaners.
Different strokes. Different folks.

Would deodorizer help at all? Only used pair of shoes I have are used Park Aves (which are too big :smh:) but they don't look like they've been worn more than a few times so i bought them.
But yeah I'd be iffy about wearing used shoes without socks. Even some of the used stuff like sportcoats I get from ebay I get them dry cleaned before even trying them on

Would you wear a another persons underwear after washing them?

You fit into their stuff, dude?

I know you're a brolic cat, and some of the stuff I tried on (a couple of years ago) were even tight on me. The philosophy is like Ikea furniture..cheap and gets the job done. I've had shirts and trousers from H&M that lasted a good while and eventually ripped. But by that time, it was money well spent.

Pana: Glad to see you're back here, bro :pimp: Last I heard from you, you had just got the new gig at a better gym and I think was about to engage or marry your girl. Hope everything is still going well.

Thanks man, still lurk in here once in a blue, just haven't posted much in a bit here. Yeah, I was at a BSC before but now I work at Equiniox, it's alot better, much easier to build a clientele, and you make better money once you've been there long enough. First 6 months you don't make **** but it picks up after that.

Been married for a while now, wifey and I just moved to a new spot and she's been in a new job so maybe that was the change.

I gotta agree with the 2nd hand clothing discussion. I personally can't do it, even though Adrian is getting these AEs at ridiculous prices. Even when I was collecting sneakers, I only bought 2 pairs of worn sneakers, 1 pair ended up becoming basketball sneakers and the other pair was worn rarely and then sold. But, still its not for me.. foot fungus and athletes foot are also very common with males :smh:

I think my parents paid like 130 for my equinox when i was in hs, price probably rose now :x
Place is nicer than the NYSC every 2 blocks, though

Thanks man, still lurk in here once in a blue, just haven't posted much in a bit here. Yeah, I was at a BSC before but now I work at Equiniox, it's alot better, much easier to build a clientele, and you make better money once you've been there long enough. First 6 months you don't make **** but it picks up after that.

Been married for a while now, wifey and I just moved to a new spot and she's been in a new job so maybe that was the change.

I think my parents paid like 130 for my equinox when i was in hs, price probably rose now :x
Place is nicer than the NYSC every 2 blocks, though
Equinox is rich people's gym :lol: Every time I pass one I always see exotic cars being valeted.

Glad to see you're doing well, man.

I still remember when I first adopted the healthier lifestyle 4-5 years ago and I joined the local 24 Hour Fitness with a Costco coupon. They were salty because they get no commission off that. A trainer tried to get me to buy lessons and promised me to get me down to virtually 0 percent body fat. I told him it is impossible to do so. He said, well bro...let me know when you want to get on that next level :lol:

Today:

Pick ups:

Can you post updated pics of your saddleback thin briefcase? maybe a short review of it too if possible. thanks!
It pretty much looks the same, man. I only use it on the weekends. It's a great briefcase that gets tons of compliments, but very heavy. I wouldn't use it if I had to carry it across a large campus or haul it on public transportation. The thing is super solid. I've used it to push doors to open many times :lol:

meh, I wouldn't think of that as the same. I'll continue buying gently used sportcoats though.

Wis that cardigan is nice man :pimp:
Thanks, man. It's like half off at Macy's :smile:

Gently used sportscoats are cool. They don't even come in direct contact with your skin. Even the snobbiest of snobs on the CM section of SF do thrifting, word to Spoo riding around in his F430 from the moolah from his side gig.

^ What size is the cardigan? How does it fit compared to the camo D&S? I hate how damn short these things are :rolleyes

does anyone have recommendations for winter boots?

somewhat dressy, but also warm enough for east coast winters

You guys have any suggestions on black dress shoes/loafers? Comfort is #1 but obviously I want a nice looking shoe (work/retail).

Budget is probably less than $150. Preferably under a buck buy I have a feeling thats not gonna happen.

You guys have any suggestions on black dress shoes/loafers? Comfort is #1 but obviously I want a nice looking shoe (work/retail).

Budget is probably less than $150. Preferably under a buck buy I have a feeling thats not gonna happen.
Hands down the 1901 joints. RFX mentioned about them a couple of days before. I had them back before I was able to afford Aldens and the likes. The quality isn't the best, but they're lightweight and super comfy.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/1901-casey-longwing-derby/3538473?origin=keywordsearch

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/1901-derby-shoe/3484572?origin=keywordsearch

Any way here are the J Crew pickups from today. Bonus pic my two favorite DB style kicks at the moment. I bought the shirts (especially the red henley) with these kicks in mind. Should make for some nice fits. The Wallace and Barnes piece is easily my favorite pickup from today although I did have my eye on the sweater too. Henley and chambray were random pickups.

I love all the pieces but still think I could have gotten a better deal somehow. Any help on that? Paging ksteezy...it's J Crew bro.
If you think you will get decent wears from the items, keep them and continue rolling on.

There's been times where I walk into a store, be it J. Crew or Barneys, and see something I like and I know it's an instant cop. Months later, the item may go on sale, but I like it enough to cop at retail and have/will wear it many times. I have shirts that cost $200-350 that I wear a lot and don't regret one bit. On the other hand, there's been times where I get something on deep discount that never/rarely gets worn that I end up donating.

Do you or anyone else know much about these sweaters? They look nice and heavy and the price isn't too crazy

I can't speak on those particular ones but I love Irish sweaters, I think I'll buy one of those...they seem legit. My Aunt (Rest In Peace) would keep me styling in one, always brought them back from the Motherland as gifts. Always the natural/white ones too (No IRA). Many Christmas photos of me looking like a litle angel in one of those cozy things. :pimp: I may even **** around and buy a turtleneck sweater just because.

Last edited:
recently ordered these eastland's for 100
... waiting for ups to drop them off friday. can't wait.

So fellas I'm responsible for styling the groomsmen in my broinlaws wedding as per te bride request, it's a beach wedding so she wants casual and showed me more or less what she wants, we skipping on shoes and wearing kicks, no suit jacket, white shirt, black pindot bowtie, sand color pants, black suspenders....I guess my question is where can I get the pants??...does TAT or SuitSupply sell just pants?...she wants a very slim silhoutte...what about the shirts?...any suggestions on kicks, I was thinking black chucks or JP's

Try J. Crew squirt.

Back
Top Bottom