Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Would you guys consider varsity jackets as 'dressing better?'

What it comes down to is, do you like it. If so, rock it. Put your own twist on it and make the look yours. That's what this style/fashion thing is about. Personal expression and empowerment.

/bows and steps off soapbox

Well, clearly people can wear whatever the hell they want.

As long as it's not oversized with obnoxious logos, varsity jackets can be worn well and in a lot of settings. I have one though I don't wear it that often.

Like, this...it's a little too much and more of typical sneakerhead streetwear to me:

I think of this thread as an opportunity to dress a little more mature than streetwear. Doesn't mean I'm right, just that it's been the focus for the most part since it started.

Would you guys consider varsity jackets as 'dressing better?'

What it comes down to is, do you like it. If so, rock it. Put your own twist on it and make the look yours. That's what this style/fashion thing is about. Personal expression and empowerment.

Well, clearly people can wear whatever the hell they want.

As long as it's not oversized with obnoxious logos, varsity jackets can be worn well and in a lot of settings. I have one though I don't wear it that often.

Like, this...it's a little too much and more of typical sneakerhead streetwear to me:

I think of this thread as an opportunity to dress a little more mature than streetwear. Doesn't mean I'm right, just that it's been the focus for the most part since it started.

Wj4, thanks! I'd probably only wear a hoodie underneath when it gets really cold.

I've always loved varsity jackets but not sure which ones look more non casual than casual (every other undergrad on campus) but thanks for the input my man, repped. Now I just need to figure out which one to get. :rofl:

Maybe kinda generic advice but if you want to dress it up a little, try a sweater & scarf instead of a hoodie when it's cold.

Maybe kinda generic advice but if you want to dress it up a little, try a sweater & scarf instead of a hoodie when it's cold.

I've actually never thought of that. Whenever it's cold, I sometimes get lazy and throw a varsity over my hoodies and leave the house. Yeah, I pretty much got rid of most if not all of my streetwear this past summer (except my J's :rofl: can't let all of them go just yet.) Trying to go for a more mature look, invested in a few pair of chinos this year too.

When dressing for the cold weather, fabrics play a big factor. Opt for wool and tweed, they will keep you warm and comfy.
Another note, I found out the 30% off on sales items at J. Crew is stackable with your student discount. I ordered this vest for $23 or 24 with tax included today:
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation...16~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~vest/99133.jsp

Ah, I never knew that tweed was warm as well. I was about to drop close to $200 for a NF jacket to keep me warm this winter. :x The student discount only works in store right? I've only ordered off their site once which was when they had that 25% off deal on $150+ orders about a little over a month ago.

If you can get the money for it, I'd go with a ToJ varsity. I still want one myself and will probably buy it before 2013 ends :lol:
I like these looks:
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13779
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13267
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9789
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9840
Just don't get it too tight as well. It's suppose to be slightly loose fitting.

How much are ToJ varsities? Btw, only those two colors or are there more choices? Probably not anytime soon. Gonna be picking up new denim soon, bred 4's & 11's, + Christmas is coming up. :x My wallet :smh:

Last edited:
How much are ToJ varsities? Btw, only those two colors or are there more choices? Probably not anytime soon. Gonna be picking up new denim soon, bred 4's & 11's, + Christmas is coming up. :x My wallet :smh:
I think there's over 30 combinations you can choose, most are reversible too, camo on the other side.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/217855/the-new-official-toj-thread-2011/24735#post_5902187

I forgot the price. Perhaps NewMJ or RFX or someone else can chime in. I think it's around $400? It may seem like much, but the leather they use is good quality. I can attest to that. I have 5 of their jackets.

Take your time to rebuild your wardrobe, man. It's not a race. You already got rid of your old stuff. Make sure the foundation is strong or else the building will crumble.

Last edited:
Ah, I never knew that tweed was warm as well. I was about to drop close to $200 for a NF jacket to keep me warm this winter. :x The student discount only works in store right? I've only ordered off their site once which was when they had that 25% off deal on $150+ orders about a little over a month ago.
Tweed is like wool, but rougher in texture. It's pretty popular in countryside, mainly in the colder parts of the world. You can look for herringbone pattern as well, which is pretty cool and different. For those who saw Skyfall, which is pretty much everyone here I think :lol:, the Scottish gent..that's pretty much dead on with the wardrobe, tweed everything. And when it comes to wool, you have a crap load, man...from merino to alpaca.

If you want to use the student discount, you can have the sales associate help you. Just tell them you want to make a web order via the red phone and use your discount on top. Show them your ID, and you're good. I have 3-4 associates that I know regularly, and those even expedite shipping for me at times on the house. Or sometimes if I can't get to the store, I'll just give them a call, and they'll order it for me. I do this to avoid paying for shipping.

Also, just to note...leather is not that warmth of a fabric. I see some people at work saying they want to get a nice leather jacket for the cold days. What you want is a thick wool set up at that point. For me, leather is good until low 60s Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
If you can get the money for it, I'd go with a ToJ varsity. I still want one myself and will probably buy it before 2013 ends :lol:
I like these looks:
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13779
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13267
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9789
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9840
Just don't get it too tight as well. It's suppose to be slightly loose fitting.

how much would something like that run me?....i like!

I think there's over 30 combinations you can choose, most are reversible too, camo on the other side.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/217855/the-new-official-toj-thread-2011/24735#post_5902187
I forgot the price. Perhaps NewMJ or RFX or someone else can chime in. I think it's around $400? It may seem like much, but the leather they use is good quality. I can attest to that. I have 5 of their jackets.
Take your time to rebuild your wardrobe, man. It's not a race. You already got rid of your old stuff. Make sure the foundation is strong or else the building will crumble.

tee eye ehm, digging that Imperium one. What brand is the one below? Are you from SJ by any chance? I know that my friend posted that Aristocrats was getting that Imperium one in.

$400… maybe sometime next year, lol. Thanks for the info wisith. You're on SF too under the same name right? I think I've seen you post on there before, not sure where though. Yeah, I'm mostly trying to expand more on outerwear since I got rid of a lot of old outerwear. Transitioned from shopping at F21 (threw out everything but one button up) to Club Monaco and J. Crew so far. I didn't know the student discount still stacked for J. Crew on sale items. :nerd: Does it work online too? (the student discount + whatever code they got going on at the moment)

Last edited:
Tweed is like wool, but rougher in texture. It's pretty popular in countryside, mainly in the colder parts of the world. You can look for herringbone pattern as well, which is pretty cool and different. For those who saw Skyfall, which is pretty much everyone here I think :lol:, the Scottish gent..that's pretty much dead on with the wardrobe, tweed everything. And when it comes to wool, you have a crap load, man...from merino to alpaca.
If you want to use the student discount, you can have the sales associate help you. Just tell them you want to make a web order via the red phone and use your discount on top. Show them your ID, and you're good. I have 3-4 associates that I know regularly, and those even expedite shipping for me at times on the house. Or sometimes if I can't get to the store, I'll just give them a call, and they'll order it for me. I do this to avoid paying for shipping.
Also, just to note...leather is not that warmth of a fabric. I see some people at work saying they want to get a nice leather jacket for the cold days. What you want is a thick wool set up at that point. For me, leather is good until low 60s Fahrenheit.

great info....to me the key to keeping warm is layering....making sure the first layer is nicely fitted to your body, weather its a tee, henley or thermo....then add a few layers, a sweater, hoody, then a jacket, add a scarf and hat to the equation and you can get away with that set up through much of the winter, i know i have, ive gone through winters with a simple leather or utility jacket by just layering.

to add to W's post, this is both the ludllow in Herringbone and in wool
7896823290_d0907094bb_b.jpg

8132338343_a4948ab723_b.jpg

tee eye ehm, digging that Imperium one. What brand is the one below? Are you from SJ by any chance? I know that my friend posted that Aristocrats was getting that Imperium one in.
$400… maybe sometime next year, lol. Thanks for the info wisith. You're on SF too under the same name right? I think I've seen you post on there before, not sure where though. Yeah, I'm mostly trying to expand more on outerwear since I got rid of a lot of old outerwear. Transitioned from shopping at F21 (threw out everything but one button up) to Club Monaco and J. Crew so far.

Whats good fam. Supporting the homies whenever I can. I'm not from SJ, I'm from Hayward. Bay Area all love though. :smokin

Yea Aristocrats should have it, they had the release party a couple weeks back.

The hooded joint should be available for $150 only on Black Friday.

how much would something like that run me?....i like!
Their website is down at the moment, looks like they didn't renew their domain fee. I haven't kept up with the prices so I don't know for sure, K. NewMJ recently got a black/black set up, maybe he can chime in. Or if you want to inquire...just email [email protected]

The email handler's name is Charly, he replies pretty quickly. It's less than $500 for sure. It's somewhere in the $400 zone, just not sure if it's in the lower or upper end. And PS...no they have no leopard print (I inquired way back) :lol:

Whats good fam. Supporting the homies whenever I can. I'm not from SJ, I'm from Hayward. Bay Area all love though. :smokin
Yea Aristocrats should have it, they had the release party a couple weeks back.
The hooded joint should be available for $150 only on Black Friday.

Haha, I think my boy's girlfriend's brother is the owner there (can't remember his name though) Good looking out on the info as well. I'm interning for Mister (I'm sure you've heard of the brand haha) and debating which one of those Varsities I posted up to get. Been eyeing the wool one. :smokin

$400… maybe sometime next year, lol. Thanks for the info wisith. You're on SF too under the same name right? I think I've seen you post on there before, not sure where though. Yeah, I'm mostly trying to expand more on outerwear since I got rid of a lot of old outerwear. Transitioned from shopping at F21 (threw out everything but one button up) to Club Monaco and J. Crew so far. I didn't know the student discount still stacked for J. Crew on sale items. :nerd: Does it work online too? (the student discount + whatever code they got going on at the moment)
My screen name is pretty consistent throughout all of the boards I've been on...WJ4 on styleforum, socalevo, e90post, and numerous other car boards when I was younger :lol:

Student discount doesn't work online because there's no place to input the discount code. I would highly suggest for you to expose yourself to different kind of styles and develop your own style...one that you feel comfortable in and rock with it. Style is very subjective so it's not like 2+2 =4. There are certain rules you should follow like a jacket should have good fitting shoulders and sleeve lengths, but throw your own twist to it as well. (I am disregarding the anti fit aesthetic here, fellas to keep it simple).

Keep some of the older stuff, man. I still have a couple of pieces from H&M that I use to wear to clubs (like once or twice a year now since I'm not into it)...this is when I won't care if someone spills beer or whatever on it since it's cheap enough to toss in the trash.

Since we're talking about rebuilding wardrobe. This picture is of a SF member. It's a pretty small wardrobe, but pretty versatile pieces of high quality. It shows quality over quantity (yes, I know all may not go this route). But I dig the minimalist set up.
350x526px-LL-12b3c9b2_IMG_1331.jpeg

Their website is down at the moment, looks like they didn't renew their domain fee. I haven't kept up with the prices so I don't know for sure, K. NewMJ recently got a black/black set up, maybe he can chime in. Or if you want to inquire...just email [email protected]
The email handler's name is Charly, he replies pretty quickly. It's less than $500 for sure. It's somewhere in the $400 zone, just not sure if it's in the lower or upper end. And PS...no they have no leopard print (I inquired way back) :lol:

nah man, i just want something simple like that black on black....love the look of it.

My screen name is pretty consistent throughout all of the boards I've been on...WJ4 on styleforum, socalevo, e90post, and numerous other car boards when I was younger :lol:
Student discount doesn't work online because there's no place to input the discount code. I would highly suggest for you to expose yourself to different kind of styles and develop your own style...one that you feel comfortable in and rock with it. Style is very subjective so it's not like 2+2 =4. There are certain rules you should follow like a jacket should have good fitting shoulders and sleeve lengths, but throw your own twist to it as well. (I am disregarding the anti fit aesthetic here, fellas to keep it simple).
Keep some of the older stuff, man. I still have a couple of pieces from H&M that I use to wear to clubs (like once or twice a year now since I'm not into it)...this is when I won't care if someone spills beer or whatever on it since it's cheap enough to toss in the trash.

Yeah, I'm trying to branch out rather than just sticking with those two brands (love the fit of the short-sleeve button ups from CM & the slim fit from J. Crew) It's hard to find things that really fit for some reason. Ah, I wish I could except none of them fit anymore due to me gaining some weight + muscle mass. :rofl: They all started to fit like Smediums. I also want some low tops. I own none besides my Free Run's & Supreme Mali low's. I looked into Purcell's but I'm not sure if it was just me but I was able to fit into an 8.5 and I normally wear a 10 (maybe because it was leather)

Last edited:
Haha, I think my boy's girlfriend's brother is the owner there (can't remember his name though) Good looking out on the info as well. I'm interning for Mister (I'm sure you've heard of the brand haha) and debating which one of those Varsities I posted up to get. Been eyeing the wool one. :smokin

Word! Mister is blowing up right now! I've been seeing a lot of good pub on them lately which is so dope. Most def a dope place to be interning. Cant go wrong with any of their pieces to be honest.

i need to get an updated picture of my wardrobe....its my pride and joy, built it myself from scratch into our wall with sliding doors and drawers...lol:D

Back
Top Bottom