Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Bruh I was at the SLP store on Sunday and held them in my hand.
me too though and thats why i said i dont like the shaft but i don't even know why we are comparing them. 

no ones copping those slp's.

hedi slp chelseas are ******** on all of these boots combined

Last edited:
I have a real love/hate relationship with Chelsea boots right now. Some pics of outfits I see they look dope but than some look terrible. Think I really need to head into a store and try on a pair to see how they look in person

right there with you man

I am literally like can i pull them off...will i look like im just wearing horse hooves...or will they actually work.

Chelsea are nice for a min, but definitely a come and go fad. I prefer lace up Truman boots or Vibergs. True classic boot that won't ever go out of style.

Chelsea are nice for a min, but definitely a come and go fad. I prefer lace up Truman boots or Vibergs. True classic boot that won't ever go out of style.

:lol: It feels like a come and go fad now because companies like New Republic are making them affordable for the fast fashion/IG crowd. Just look at the amount of interest the cheaper model has garnered in this thread and YT/IG off of price point and being a CP replica.

Chelsea's are timeless. I see more old men wearing them than younger people.

Why are you mentioning Truman boots or Vibergs? Tha'ts cool you like them but they aren't an alternative to chelseas... that's a completely different style of boot.

Last edited:

:lol: It feels like a come and go fad now because companies like New Republic are making them affordable for the fast fashion/IG crowd. Just look at the amount of interest the cheaper model has garnered in this thread and YT/IG off of price point and being a CP replica.

Why are you mentioning Truman boots or Vibergs? Tha'ts cool you like them but they aren't an alternative to chelseas... that's a completely different style of boot.

i think like a in terms of "if you are going to drop money on a boot" its a good comparison at least for me. I recently bought a pair of redwing iron rangers that i am in love with. So right now for me its all black cheleas (or grey...or maybe even tan) or maybe take the money and pick up wolverine 1000 miles (factory seconds from sierra trading can be had with coupon for around $160).

vibergs are nice but put of my price range right now. Also sucks you can't try them on in stores.

Last edited:
Old men wear Chelseas because they are easy to slip on and off and you don't have to tie them. lol. (That's why I wear them too)
Why did I bring up the others......?
This is a "dressing better thread". If I am looking for a nice timeless leather boot that looks great and will stand the test of time I go with a lace up Cap Toe Truman not a Chelsea. IMO that is dressing better, and a good high quality lace up shoe or boot will never go out of style. Both Viberg and Truman have dabbled in the Chelsea style by the way, and they are very nice. I own and wear Chelseas as well. The last couple days the talk has been Chelseas. I was just attempting to broaden the conversation. My apologies if I derailed the thread.

Last edited:

You hit it, Henny.

Chelseas have been popular with mods and skinheads in the U.K. for decades. It's pretty much a staple in menswear. Just because Ye made them popular in the last couple of years....

Truman and Viberg are on a different style. Those are workwear aesthetic. Not everyone wants to wear 16 oz raw denim with expensive workwear boots pretending to be a blue collar worker.

Last edited:
Truman and Viberg are on a different style. Those are workwear aesthetic. Not everyone wants to wear 16 oz raw denim with expensive workwear boots pretending to be a blue collar worker.

Take a look at their stuff. IMO both brands have some very nice boots that bridge the gap between dress shoe and work boot. Not sure I appreciate your attempts to stereotype, I think you missed on both.

Last edited:
So people who wear Chelseas are pretending to be skinheads?

Seems like more people have taken a break from raw denim and back to more comfortable pants anyway.

Seems like more people have taken a break from raw denim and back to more comfortable pants anyway.
Denim fashion comes and goes (i.e. Raw, selveged, distressed, those ugly patterns on the pockets??, wide leg, skinny) but a good pair of nice fitting denim jeans will always be relevant.

Old men wear Chelseas because they are easy to slip on and off and you don't have to tie them. lol. (That's why I wear them too)
i wear my chelseas more than my other boots for that simple reason

convenience is everything on my off time

and raw denim is the worst. i won't ever go back to that. 

obsessing over fades and washing is ridiculous looking back at it. 

Like a lot have mentioned, There is nothing "fad-ish" about chelsea boots. Chelsea boots of all styles have been popular for the longest time. I do agree with whoever mentioned that the NR are blatant rip offs of the CPs. It's just common sense that people would flock to the NRs considering how expensive CPs are. I have an appreciation for both menswear and the streetwear side of things. A chelsea boots like the CP are completely casual in my opinion and although you can somewhat dress them up, they look better dressed down I feel.

I do really like boots from the likes of Viberg, Grenson, Trickers etc but this is an entirely different category like Hennessy mentioned. A John Lobb, Edward Green or even Carmina boot would be the epitome of quality and construction but is more suitable for more formal attire/ office wear. So I agree that there isn't more use or suitability for one versus the other. It all depends on your own lifestyle and if they fit your personal style/ budget.

Last edited:

Take a look at their stuff. IMO both brands have some very nice boots that bridge the gap between dress shoe and work boot. Not sure I appreciate your attempts to stereotype, I think you missed on both.

I think he hit on the stereotypes TBH. The boots you are comparing to a chelsea boot do NOT serve the same function. A chelsea boot is NOT a work boot.

Are you going to go out in the snow or go hiking in a pair of chelseas? Didn't think so...

When I needed a boot to serve a utility purpose and wasn't purchasing just for style I bought SLP combat boots. Chelseas weren't even a consideration. Have them, needed something else to serve a purpose.

If you can only afford one pair of boots I can see your point that the Truman boots or Vibergs would be "dressing better". If I only had one pair of boots it'd be something similar to those or the classic 6" Timbs (yes I'm from NY).

All of our fashion here in the states stems from Europe anyway. Not a surprise people were wearing chelseas in Europe almost a decade ago.

Raw Denim

I've spent too much time being uncomfortable wearing denim.

No more cardboards pants for me.
Yep. We are never going to get that fade or softening sitting in Aeron chairs all day. We need the 2-3 percent spandex.

Would anybody recommend True Religion's :lol:

*waits for the backlash*

And Lol at stereotyping. As if the cats who love Viberg don't also other workwear brands like 316 and Tanners. Nothing's wrong with that aesthetic. I have a few pieces from there but it's asinine to compare diff aesthetics to each other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom