Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Black dress shoes go with most suit colors, imo.

I've always liked the dark brown shoes + navy / blue suit combo too.

Cop some nice chinos + button-down shirts (Uniqlo / JCrew / mall brands to start).

Navy / khaki chinos + patterned shirts are a good casual combo that's a bit more dressed up.

The shoes is what I have issues with mostly, I have this thing where I feel the shoe determines how the fit will be. My shoe rotation is aj1, sb dunks, vans, converses. I have some chino pants but I wear it with vans/converses and feel like a child/teen :lol: what would be a good casual shoe? I do have brown and sand colored chukka boots and these
toms-tarmac-olive-tarmac-olive-suede-and-full-grain-leather-mens-chukka-boots-green-product-1-244267008-normal.jpeg
as far as dressy type shoes go.

Last edited:
I've seen that a few times on the suit of espn guys. Thought it had to do with a charity of some sort.

I actually really like that suite with the brown boots up there.

As far as color goes, what would work best with black dress shoes? Navy or blue suit?

Brown dress shoes. They go with everything besides a black suit. Also easier to incorporate with denim.

Where do lapel pins go? (And no the tie is not staying like that im jus puttin the fit together for dinner tonight)

Im outside my lane

Get rid of the lapel pin, period. Frankly, you're trying to do way too much.

I'm having trouble transitioning into more adult like attire :lol: I wear graphic tees and hoodies quite often. I'm trying to pull ideas from this thread in hopes of dressing more appropriately for my age.

Start small. Properly fitting denim to start with, incorporate some chinos here and there. Shirts, buy a couple of button down casual shirts. Shoes, go for some chukkas in brown suede. Make sure everything fits well.

Brown dress shoes. They go with everything besides a black suit. Also easier to incorporate with denim.
Get rid of the lapel pin, period. Frankly, you're trying to do way too much.
Start small. Properly fitting denim to start with, incorporate some chinos here and there. Shirts, buy a couple of button down casual shirts. Shoes, go for some chukkas in brown suede. Make sure everything fits well.
Thoughts on Skinny pants? How skinny is too skinny? I've started feeling self conscious wearing thin finns and extremely tapered pants. For now I do have some good fitting pants, my apc petite standards are a nice fit. I'll take this advice and piece it together better with a nice casual dress shirt.

Thoughts on Skinny pants? How skinny is too skinny? I've started feeling self conscious wearing thin finns and extremely tapered pants. For now I do have some good fitting pants, my apc petite standards are a nice fit. I'll take this advice and piece it together better with a nice casual dress shirt.
There is a difference between style and fashion. Fashionable pants are trendy, and they come and go with time. Example would be skinny pants, distressed ripped jeans, bell bottoms, extreme dark and light washed colors. A nice fitting slight taper or straight pants have never fallen out of style. James Dean to current day. Go with that.

Last edited:
What's your job? Dress code?
I work in IT as a level 1 analyst. The dress code is not strict that's why I'm mostly in casual clothes. Jeans sneakers and tee shirts on most days. I'm 27 and needing a change.

Start off slow, fam.

Go buy some nice RL button downs and switch your denim/pants game up first. Cop some chelsea/clarks. Make that transition slowly but surely

Last edited:
I would skip rl unless you find your size at tj maxx / marshalls. Their stuff is way overpriced. Look at uniqlo for the basics.

What's a good place to get decent slim-fit Oxford shirts? Uniqlo's sizing has been disappointing as of late, so I think I might have to move away from them on that. 

I would skip rl unless you find your size at tj maxx / marshalls. Their stuff is way overpriced. Look at uniqlo for the basics.

I figure on his salary he can afford it if he has no major bills (kids)

But you're right. definitely look for high quality cheaper alternatives. I just overspent this past weekend at Bloomies on 3 RL shirts :x

Last edited:

I figure on his salary he can afford it if he has no major bills (kids)

But you're right. definitely look for high quality cheaper alternatives. I just overspent this past weekend at Bloomies on 3 RL shirts :x
any reason in particular that you are pushing RL?

I just like the brand. Not really pushing it. I literally only referenced it in 2 posts.

But I don't expect dude to go hop on Styleforum overnight just because he wants to break out of the hoodies and nikes at work. RL makes some decent stuff, and is a pretty good place to start if you're looking to transition, especially since it can be found in Marshals, TJ Maxx, Macy's, etc.

I wouldn't suggest a guy looking to get into cars to run out and buy a GT3RS. I'd probably suggest a Mustang, or a BMW or something.. Thats basically RL's range.

Last edited:
i don't know about RL too much anymore but RL's Purple Label F/W 17 show at NYFW was dope AF.

they killed it.. 

Just not a fan of their branding. Would recommend places like Uniqlo or J.Crew before RL. Was simply curious on your position.

Just not a fan of their branding. Would recommend places like Uniqlo or J.Crew before RL. Was simply curious on your position.

True true. I like J.Crew as well. I wouldn't suggest someone to go fill their closet with all RL tho. But J.Crew or Uniqlo are also great places for him to look.

I literally only brought them up because I saw the post the same day I came home from buying a few things at Bloomingdales :lol:

But I figure everyone at some point has had at least one pony in their closet

Last edited:
In terms of mall brands the next logical step up from Uniqlo is clearance Club Monaco

Back
Top Bottom