Dressing Better Vol 2.0

looking for a nice custom suit place in NYC area. i know people usually suggest suit supply but does anyone have any other recommendations for suit shops?

the suit will be used for graduation/job interviews in the medical field

Last edited:
looking for a nice custom suit place in NYC area. i know people usually suggest suit supply but does anyone have any other recommendations for suit shops?

What is your price range?

What is your price range?
below $600 preferably, havent started my career yet so budget is a bit low 
frown.gif

below $600 preferably, havent started my career yet so budget is a bit low :frown:  
What's 'custom suit place'? You mean a shop that does bespoke stuff? If so, you're way out of your league.

$600 is plenty for someone who hasn't start a career yet. I was mixing on sale casual shirt with chinos, ties, and cardigans to my interviews. Didn't buy a suit until I actually had a professional job.

Assuming your physique is not an anomaly that can't be catered to with normal sizes, stick to OTR and tailoring for now.

below $600 preferably, havent started my career yet so budget is a bit low 
frown.gif

What's 'custom suit place'? You mean a shop that does bespoke stuff? If so, you're way out of your league.

$600 is plenty for someone who hasn't start a career yet. I was mixing on sale casual shirt with chinos, ties, and cardigans to my interviews. Didn't buy a suit until I actually had a professional job.

Assuming your physique is not an anomaly that can't be catered to with normal sizes, stick to OTR and tailoring for now.
the thing with OTR is that most OTR suits go for 300-400 (suit + pants) for decent quality (banana republic, express, etc) and then another 50-100 for alterations. at those prices i was thinking that getting a made-to-measure suit would be a better investment

Last edited:
the thing with OTR is that most OTR suits go for 300-400 (suit + pants) for decent quality (banana republic, express, etc) and then another 50-100 for alterations. at those prices i was thinking that getting a made-to-measure suit would be a better investment

Online MTM only really "works" if you get the measurements right and in many cases even then they come out less than stellar. I wouldn't go with suits from BR or Express especially at that 300-400 price point. SuitSupply is probably the best bang for your buck. I'm decently hard to fit but SuitSupply's Napoli fit with minor alterations works for me pretty well.

SuitSupply's Napoli start at $399 in a basic navy that will get you through interviews and then some. You can easily come in around your budget with a suit from them, with much better fabric and construction than BR or Express.

Online MTM only really "works" if you get the measurements right and in many cases even then they come out less than stellar. I wouldn't go with suits from BR or Express especially at that 300-400 price point. SuitSupply is probably the best bang for your buck. I'm decently hard to fit but SuitSupply's Napoli fit with minor alterations works for me pretty well.

SuitSupply's Napoli start at $399 in a basic navy that will get you through interviews and then some. You can easily come in around your budget with a suit from them, with much better fabric and construction than BR or Express.
thanks for your input! I was thinking of going to a showroom type place that measures you on the spot and has fabrics for you to choose from. was wondering if anyone had recommendations for that in NYC. i purchased a suit from indochino about 4 years ago but the showroom in NYC has terrible reviews (yelp) so i dont think i'll be getting a suit from them

Last edited:

thanks for your input! I was thinking of going to a showroom type place that measures you on the spot and has fabrics for you to choose from. was wondering if anyone had recommendations for that in NYC. i purchased a suit from indochino about 4 years ago but the showroom in NYC has terrible reviews (yelp) so i dont think i'll be getting a suit from them
Sebastien Grey. Black Lapel.  

400 for schott? Urban outfitters collaboration tho...

Word, is that a bad thing? Don't know jack about leathers.
Why would that be a bad thing ? Usually when a brand does a collaboration with another they usually dictate how they would like the product to Come out. The leather is quality. Keep in mind those models may run small.

SuitSupply is probably the best bang for your buck. I'm decently hard to fit but SuitSupply's Napoli fit with minor alterations works for me pretty well.

You can pay lots of money for MTM suit, but I feel like MTM suits are only worth the price if you have a unique body shape that's hard to fit or lots of extra cash.
SuitSupply is a great place for very good entry level to higher end suits. Everything the OP is looking for. Show room with knowledgeable staff who will size you correctly, verity of colors and styles, and they have a MTM option it that's what you want. I get more complements on my Blue Napoli Suit from Suitsupply than any other suit I have ever owned. And if looks better than 99% of the suits that most people wear out there.

the more i put them on the more i get used to the silloutte of the NR Chelsea's

excuse the dirty carpet

Last edited:
Anyone got any good suggestions on slim wallets or card holders ? Wanted to cop a luxury brand one, but dropping $250-300 might not be the move.

I just bought a cheap leather wallet and a leather card holder from jcrew factory. Bought them years ago and still in good condition. Will splurge on a Tanner Goods wallet in the future.

I just bought a cheap leather wallet and a leather card holder from jcrew factory. Bought them years ago and still in good condition. Will splurge on a Tanner Goods wallet in the future.
This doesn't make any sense at all. You just bought them, but then you bought them years ago ?

Back
Top Bottom