Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I had a jacket on when out but i liked this idea

What brand is the bowtie?

The shape is very unique.

I made this blog entry based on the question that the gent asked about khaki chinos earlier:

im having trouble with a new years fit

i have the navy and the charcoal ludlows, wanted to wear a white shirt, have navy, red and a white pocket squares, not sure where to go with the tie or if i should wear a cardigan underneath...

i wanted to do the navy jacket, red chinos, white shirt and red pocket square, looked nice, but the wife felt it was too summerish.....any advice?

im having trouble with a new years fit
i have the navy and the charcoal ludlows, wanted to wear a white shirt, have navy, red and a white pocket squares, not sure where to go with the tie or if i should wear a cardigan underneath...
i wanted to do the navy jacket, red chinos, white shirt and red pocket square, looked nice, but the wife felt it was too summerish.....any advice?
If the chinos are not lightweight chinos then I say go for it. I like bright colors for the colder months, as long as the fabrics are appropriate. Perhaps you can throw on the cardigan to kill the summer vibe too. A gray cardigan and black dress or casual shoes would be killer with the outfit.

If the chinos are not lightweight chinos then I say go for it. I like bright colors for the colder months, as long as the fabrics are appropriate. Perhaps you can throw on the cardigan to kill the summer vibe too. A gray cardigan and black dress or casual shoes would be killer with the outfit.

yeah they are lightweight.....it didnt look half bad....but she wasnt feeling it :rolleyes

yeah they are lightweight.....it didnt look half bad....but she wasnt feeling it :rolleyes
Won't you be cold though? :lol: Where are you guys going to? Formal stuff? If just for fun, throw on a suit and sneakers or something, man.

This is a pretty nice deal for a work belt. This kind of belt is untreated and will get darker with wear...pretty popular among those into workwear:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/nudie-wayne-belt/3362018?origin=category&BaseUrl=Accessories

RFX recommended a Jack Spade for those entering into a professional job because of its price and durability. I think this one is really nice and on sale:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/jack-spade-davis-briefcase/3452419?origin=category

we are going to a new years dinner from 10-2am people get nicely dressed, its indoors with glass roof i believe....ill wear a toggle coat i have in navy on top...

we are going to a new years dinner from 10-2am people get nicely dressed, its indoors with glass roof i believe....ill wear a toggle coat i have in navy on top...
Then I'd go the 'boring' route and do a full suit and keep the colors conservative :smile: The outfit will speak for itself since everything will fit you properly.

i was having the same dilemma with my NYE fit but decided that the chinos i was gonna wear was not tapered enough and was also too lightweight. if you guys remember, i have a light grey glen plaid jacket ive posted on here a few times. ive had the pants since the summer but havent gotten around to shortening them but am thinking about saying eff it and just rock em as is. although i see some break, i feel like as i move more away from the GQ idea of dressing, im okay with it more. im thinking ill just rock the whole suit, white shirt, white PS, probably this purple/orange striped tie and black shoes. should i post the pic lol?

i was having the same dilemma with my NYE fit but decided that the chinos i was gonna wear was not tapered enough and was also too lightweight. if you guys remember, i have a light grey glen plaid jacket ive posted on here a few times. ive had the pants since the summer but havent gotten around to shortening them but am thinking about saying eff it and just rock em as is. although i see some break, i feel like as i move more away from the GQ idea of dressing, im okay with it more. im thinking ill just rock the whole suit, white shirt, white PS, probably this purple/orange striped tie and black shoes. should i post the pic lol?

please do...

please do...
lol expect it within 15 haha.
just gotta figure out a way to set up my iphone to take the pic myself...oh how i wish i had a DSLR and a tripod :frown:

lol expect it within 15 haha.
just gotta figure out a way to set up my iphone to take the pic myself...oh how i wish i had a DSLR and a tripod :frown:
You need to get your Do It Yourself on and play with one of those wire shirt hanger from the dry cleaners for the iPhone stand :lol:

Thanks, man! I didn't even noticed the 10k mark :lol:

K: flip a coin, bro. Both are staple colors and can't go wrong. Actually...safe answer: ask your wife :lol:

Yeah, if they are lightweight I wouldn't do it. Why not rock the entire navy suit?

this is as best as its gonna get :\ (excuse the hair, just got outta the shower)

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Brown dress shoes if you're going with that tie imo

and a taper if your calves can take it

no mo

Last edited:
^ for your pants, I think at this point it comes down to preference. If a lot of your suit pants are tapered and shortened then it is not a bad idea to have a pair of pants with full break, and a more conservative leg opening. It is good to switch it up a little bit, as long as you are not breaking the "rules".

Remember, GQ always features whats hot now, so dont get caught up trying to replicate their fashion sense. I know you have your own style, you are always killing it with the fits bro!

Suit looks great man, i say you should rock it with full confidence! happy new years

haha i'll do my best. what do you think about the pants though? would you think a taper or shortening is necessary?
It looks good as is with those shoes. There is a slight break, for a conservative look. You can also taper it a bit too if you want, but if you do this, you should probably opt to shorten the trousers for a no break appeal. I have suits with trousers of various cuts, some shorter than others to accompany boots. I prefer leg openings of about 7.5". I have a pair that's 7" and that's pretty slim and does not work with boots.

^ for your pants, I think at this point it comes down to preference. If a lot of your suit pants are tapered and shortened then it is not a bad idea to have a pair of pants with full break, and a more conservative leg opening. It is good to switch it up a little bit, as long as you are not breaking the "rules".

Remember, GQ always features whats hot now, so dont get caught up trying to replicate their fashion sense. I know you have your own style, you are always killing it with the fits bro!

Suit looks great man, i say you should rock it with full confidence! happy new years
thanks for your input man! that is my exact thought process currently. im thinking about leaving it alone because who knows how ill feel about its fit in the future (for as long as i have it at least)
appreciate the compliments also!

and to quik, i really wanted to wear my new AEs or one of my other brown/walnut shoes but I'm just afraid of scuffing them all up. these are my "beater" dress shoes :lol:

and Wis, that is the dilemma. whether keep this more conservative or make it like my others. i think i'll wear it as is for NYE and then make my decision later on

Last edited:
Dang, that's what I said :lol: But you posted beforehand.

Good advice, man...I agree with you.

You may want to use this as your 'conservative' suit. And for fun wears, you can always just rock the upper half, and switch out the trousers for chinos. Another idea here.

for now, i'll leave em alone and if i end up deciding to make the alterations, then so be it. but good call on the chinos. honestly might end up throwing on a navy pair with the jacket for new years now...that being said, my tie/shoes will have to change as well then :lol:
perhaps you guys will see another possible pic tomorrow
thanks for all the help though everyone! Happy New Years!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom