Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Damn I hope this happens again once I'm done cutting weight smh if I order now I wouldn't be able to fit any of it when I'm done
You mentioned rebuilding your wardrobe when you get done losing weight several times now. This should serve as an added motivation to get it done sooner or later. Sales will always be here. The best investment you can make is in yourself, not what you wear.

I was able to drop 50 or 60 lbs in a year with dedicated work so I'm sure you can to if you go all in. Good luck.

Went to my local Target and saw the Neiman Marcus items were reduced to 70% off. The Rag & Bone cardigan is now $21. Really a nice sweater at that price, in my opinion. Just passing the info along.

Edit: Just saw this was posted a couple days ago, my mistake. Well now it's posted again :tongue:

That cardigan is really nice in person, I'm just hoping it will go on sale even more :lol:

Hello Bros, I need some advice.

I have an upcoming semi-formal fundraising gala for my graduating class. I have this NAVY suit from BR that I am planning on wearing. I was looking for some help with the shirt/tie/pocket square to go along with it.

I was thinking of the following shirt from J.Crew, which is BRIGHT AUBERGINE (a shade of purple, I'm guessing).

What tie/pocket square would go along with this? I was thinking of an eggplant or plum colored tie to help bring out the purple in the shirt and a patterned pocket square (thinking paisley print)

I'm definitely on a budget, so I'll be getting the tie and pocket square from thetiebar.com

Last edited:
I have an upcoming semi-formal fundraising gala for my graduating class. I have this NAVY suit from BR that I am planning on wearing. I was looking for some help with the shirt/tie/pocket square to go along with it.

I was thinking of the following shirt from J.Crew, which is BRIGHT AUBERGINE (a shade of purple, I'm guessing).

What tie/pocket square would go along with this? I was thinking of an eggplant or plum colored tie to help bring out the purple in the shirt and a patterned pocket square (thinking paisley print)

I'm definitely on a budget, so I'll be getting the tie and pocket square from thetiebar.com

That suit and those ties look good, though I would personally suggest wearing a white shirt and white cotton pocket square to go along with it. Maybe add some flash with some colored socks and add a tie bar if you want. I think it would look very clean.

You mentioned rebuilding your wardrobe when you get done losing weight several times now. This should serve as an added motivation to get it done sooner or later. Sales will always be here. The best investment you can make is in yourself, not what you wear.
I was able to drop 50 or 60 lbs in a year with dedicated work so I'm sure you can to if you go all in. Good luck.

lol I've already lost about 46 lbs since July 12, I`m gunning for 100lbs or more by August or until I feel ready to start bulking.

White shirt is the safe choice, and will give a razor sharp appeal. I would not go for that purple solid shirt, but rather gingham or stripe if you decide not to go with white. Both of those ties look good. Pocket square...you can't really go wrong, you can go peacock out with an eccentric one or a conservative white one.

lol I've already lost about 46 lbs since July 12, I`m gunning for 100lbs or more by August or until I feel ready to start bulking.
You're trying to shed 100 lbs within 6 months? I'm not sure how big you are, but just make sure you do it in a healthy state. You're probably in the transitional phase now where your old clothes don't fit and you have very little to wear. Just weather the storm, man. The end result will be worth it.

You're trying to shed 100 lbs within 6 months? I'm not sure how big you are, but just make sure you do it in a healthy state. You're probably in the transitional phase now where your old clothes don't fit and you have very little to wear. Just weather the storm, man. The end result will be worth it.

No I want 100lbs ton total by August, that will be my 1 year mark.

First pic is in August 2nd was early dec

Last edited:
No I want 100lbs ton total by August, that will be my 1 year mark.
First pic is in August 2nd was early dec

Props man!

Pretty much has been stated, go with a white shirt, both ties are great and the white shirt and pocket square would look great. If you have that shirt and you want to wear that shirt, go with a tie that is noticeably a darker hue of purple than the shirt, if you check a couple pages back I paired a dark purple tie with a lighter purple mini check shirt.

Last edited:
Thank you sarteaga0408, wj4, and HHHornet15 for the input. I think I'll go with the white shirt, since I already have one.

White shirt is the safe choice, and will give a razor sharp appeal. I would not go for that purple solid shirt, but rather gingham or stripe if you decide not to go with white. Both of those ties look good. Pocket square...you can't really go wrong, you can go peacock out with an eccentric one or a conservative white one.

wj4, I know that you like to play around with different patterns. I'd really appreciate if you could suggest a few eccentric pocket squares from thetiebar for me that would go along with the white shirt/eggplant tie that i could choose from.

Recently discovered TheTieBar.com, they seem very affordable.. the ties I'm wearing/buying now are hurting my pockets :lol:

Can anyone in here vouch on their quality or craftsmanship?

Recently discovered TheTieBar.com, they seem very affordable.. the ties I'm wearing/buying now are hurting my pockets :lol:

Just an FYI, some of the more popular thetiebar.com items can be found through Nordstrom's site who has free shipping and are the same price as thetiebar.com, who does charge about $5 for shipping.

tiebar is money, usually scoop my ties from there, Banana Republic (w/promo codes) and Nordstrom Rack.

Someday I will pay ridiculous prices for ties, not now.

Ordered a tie and tie bar from them a few months ago for graduation. Quality isn't amazing but it's definitely good for the money. And like Sarteaga mentioned, check Nordstrom first to see if they have what you're looking for so that you can take advantage of that free shipping.

jmal519: If you're looking for a nice pocket square that will give you a pop of color for the low, I suggest hitting up Nordstrom Rack if you have one nearby. Lots of nice options for $10-$15. BR has some good options too if you happen to find one on sale or use a coupon.

I'm looking for a tweed/wool type blazer. I would love to get one they have on jcrew.com but thats over my budget :lol: I was looking at this one.
http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Slim-Fit-Bl...p=L0FTT1MvQVNPUy1TbGltLUZpdC1CbGF6ZXIvUHJvZC8.
I want something like that or similar.
I'd like to know if its worth the price or not. never purchased anything form there. some help would be appreciated, thanks!
Best bet to go to a local fast fashion place like H&M or Uniqlo to see if you can snag one up that fits w/o the need to alter. If you have to alter something that cheap, mind as well save up for a higher quality one IMO.

wj4, I know that you like to play around with different patterns. I'd really appreciate if you could suggest a few eccentric pocket squares from thetiebar for me that would go along with the white shirt/eggplant tie that i could choose from.
Sure.

http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pr...uares.asp&pg=0&categoryIds=28&optionValueIds=

http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pr...uares.asp&pg=0&categoryIds=28&optionValueIds=

Paisley is not that hard to incorporate, you had a good idea from the jump. Some of their other pocket square prints look weird to me :lol:

This is good too and would work:

Pictures of paisley being worn:

A vivid imperfect red one:

The Target x NM R&B Cardi is really nice in person and the fit is on point. Although one of my buttons just fell off before I even wore it :x

Went to my local Target and saw the Neiman Marcus items were reduced to 70% off. The Rag & Bone cardigan is now $21. Really a nice sweater at that price, in my opinion. Just passing the info along.

Edit: Just saw this was posted a couple days ago, my mistake. Well now it's posted again :tongue:

That cardigan is really nice in person, I'm just hoping it will go on sale even more :lol:

How much cheaper does it need to get???

Man...I have about 30+ ties and with all of the talk, I just realized that's the one haven't bought any in a while. My peak tie wearing seasons are spring & fall. :lol: Donated a bunch not too long ago, need to go through them again but I'll check out the Tie Bar/Nordstrom.

What size are you? My target was cleaned out of s/m and so is online. By the time they drop again you'll be hard pressed to even find a large.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom