Dressing Better Vol 2.0

today:

also ended up picking up saddle soap and touched up the AEs i picked up earlier in the week

Before:

After:

seeing if my friend is interested in them before i list them on the bay.

decided to touch up my walnut player's while i was at it

saddle soap then re-applied some polish

Last edited:
white henly thermals- Banana republic had a instore clearance/sale late december, idk if it's still up. As for quality, i never really had any issues with BR, other than the fading after 2-3washes.

Can anyone recommend me a pair of brown loafers/slip ons?

I really like this color and the design isnt so bad, but the sole sucks:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-ha...28?origin=category&BaseUrl=Loafers+&+Slip-Ons

(Don't know how to embedded)

I'm looking for something(if possible, exactly) like that but with a solid sole.

Thanks, a bunch!

today:

also ended up picking up saddle soap and touched up the AEs i picked up earlier in the week

Before:

After:

seeing if my friend is interested in them before i list them on the bay.
decided to touch up my walnut player's while i was at it

saddle soap then re-applied some polish
What size are those?

Pretty pleb today...rain and all:

Tomorrow is the last day of the neckwear challenge, dudes.

Also....going forward, do you guys prefer for challenges to start on a Saturday or Monday?

Next up is rugged footwear.

Then we have nothing tentative afterwards.

Ideas for the upcoming months:

traditional outerwear: ie suit jacket, blazer, peacoat, harrington, bomber, topcoat, etc.

dressing up/down an item, be it shoes or shirt or trousers.

playing with patterns.

Pretty pleb today...rain and all:

Tomorrow is the last day of the neckwear challenge, dudes.

Also....going forward, do you guys prefer for challenges to start on a Saturday or Monday?

Next up is rugged footwear.

Then we have nothing tentative afterwards.

Ideas for the upcoming months:

traditional outerwear: ie suit jacket, blazer, peacoat, harrington, bomber, topcoat, etc.

dressing up/down an item, be it shoes or shirt or trousers.

playing with patterns.

Nice outfit Wis. i'd say info on the jacket, but i doubt i could afford :frown:
and jeez, didnt realize the neckwear challenge came to a close so fast. I really meant to contribute more :smh: Also i vote challenges to begin on Monday. That way we can get a final weekend in on whatever it may be

Went thrifting today and only found these lousey ties. That thrifting stuff sucks man.

Last edited:
white henly thermals- Banana republic had a instore clearance/sale late december, idk if it's still up. As for quality, i never really had any issues with BR, other than the fading after 2-3washes.

Can anyone recommend me a pair of brown loafers/slip ons?

I really like this color and the design isnt so bad, but the sole sucks:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-ha...28?origin=category&BaseUrl=Loafers+&+Slip-Ons

(Don't know how to embedded)

I'm looking for something(if possible, exactly) like that but with a solid sole.

Thanks, a bunch!

That's a pretty common type of sole for driving shoes, you're not gonna get a solid sole with most. I have never had issues with comfort or anything. There's a distinct difference between driving shoes (which you posted, you might want loafers.

Here are some others:
Polo Roland
J. Crew Thompson
Lacoste Concours

You can see some variations on the sole, I don't know if it's technically true but I imagine they're like that to give a better feel...while driving.

Hey just wanted to post some pics of my suit to see if it fits ok

I was hoping to get some opinions from experienced members on here..with Polo black label or the likes

I am 5'8 140, with broader shoulders for my height and weight.

This suit is a Polo Black Label suit, and it fits very slim, I am a true 37-37.5 S and i put the 38S on and it was bowing in the lapels and i had very little range of motion in the shoulders. Here are some pics of the 40S which seemed to fit me better than the 38s. I have most of my suits in a 38s however, some Hugo Boss suits even in a 36s but they are a fuller cut.

The guy at the polo store helped me and said the 40s was a better fit and that he normally sizes ppl at least one size up, when i told him i wear a 38s he didnt even bring out a 38s and brought sz 40s out until i had to really insist on trying on my true size lol, he said there was no point...idk if hes just being dramatic or what...I ended up purchasing the suit, but held off on alterations so that I can still return it if i need to. I am posting some pics for some advice on whether or not I should keep the suit.

I obviously need to get some waist suppression and take the sleeves up a tad, just your basic alterations fixes.

Thanks

here are some fit pics

Last edited:
the beckham stuff has been around for over a year. definitely not a one time thing
thanks for the help - repped

but I guess I should've been more specific.  I know the line has been around awhile but didn't know if certain items were kept the same thought the run or if certain items just come and go?  like will the thermal henleys restock again next shipment (and just stay on the shelves), or only come back next fall/winter or  possibly not come back kinda thing??

thanks and reps in advance!

Last edited:
and jeez, didnt realize the neckwear challenge came to a close so fast. I really meant to contribute more :smh: Also i vote challenges to begin on Monday. That way we can get a final weekend in on whatever it may be
Cool, man. So the rugged footwear challenge will begin Monday then. This will give Adrian 3 more days to pound out some outfits :lol:

Dude, the jacket was on clearance for like $70 from Banana Republic 3 years ago :lol: One of my better finds.

I was hoping to get some opinions from experienced members on here..with Polo black label or the likes

This suit is a Polo Black Label suit, and it fits very slim, I am a true 37-37.5 S and i put the 38S on and it was bowing in the lapels and i had very little range of motion in the shoulders. Here are some pics of the 40S which seemed to fit me better than the 38s. I have most of my suits in a 38s however, some Hugo Boss suits even in a 36s but they are a fuller cut.

The guy at the polo store helped me and said the 40s was a better fit and that he normally sizes ppl at least one size up, when i told him i wear a 38s he didnt even bring out a 38s and brought sz 40s out until i had to really insist on trying on my true size lol, he said there was no point...idk if hes just being dramatic or what...I ended up purchasing the suit, but held off on alterations so that I can still return it if i need to. I am posting some pics for some advice on whether or not I should keep the suit.

I obviously need to get some waist suppression and take the sleeves up a tad, just your basic alterations fixes.

Thanks

here are some fit pics

It's tough (for me at least) to really get a good feel with a dark suit & picture

Have you looked at anything with higher armholes? If the main issue is range of motion, that could be part of it. How does it fit in the shoulders? Going a size up to have more range of motion/so it doesn't bow but it doesn't fit in the shoulders wouldn't make much sense. It could also be that Black Label isn't the proper suit for your body.

Cool, man. So the rugged footwear challenge will begin Monday then. This will give Adrian 3 more days to pound out some outfits :lol:

Dude, the jacket was on clearance for like $70 from Banana Republic 3 years ago :lol: One of my better finds.
Great purchase man. Really awesome jacket. And yes! I know I'm going out to lunch with the family on saturday so I'll make sure to have my parents questioning why I feel the need to go all out all the time haha

Thanks

here are some fit pics
Hey bud,

The shoulders are a tad too wide. I would return them. No matter how good of a deal a suit is, if the shoulders are off...it's pretty much game over. Aside from that, everything else looks manageable, the back looks ok, and not too full. I don't think this cut was meant for you since you have broad shoulders. Also, since you have broad shoulders..you may want to look at shoulders with minimal padding or none at all. We have pretty similar physique..I'm 5'9'' at 155 lbs and my chest is 37" on the dot.

Just to compare pictures...this suit I'm wearing has no padding at all. Excused the desert boots and facial expression, I took these pictures quickly for reference a while back.

https://statich.niketalk.com/6/64/64b61be9_frontpose.png

vs

http://cdn.styleforum.net/8/8a/8af109af_vr3682.jpg

https://statich.niketalk.com/2/26/260f9dd7_backpose.png

vs

http://cdn.styleforum.net/f/ff/ff6c5ea1_167qzdi.jpg

https://statich.niketalk.com/a/ad/ad6f93f8_sidepose1.png

vs

http://cdn.styleforum.net/e/eb/eb9cfcfc_2mwed1e.jpg

My suit is not perfect either, but for the most part, it fits alright...just want to show you how a jacket with no shoulder pads would look.

Suit was about $480 from Thick as Thieves by the way.

Great purchase man. Really awesome jacket. And yes! I know I'm going out to lunch with the family on saturday so I'll make sure to have my parents questioning why I feel the need to go all out all the time haha
It is what it is, man. If you like dressing up, roll with it. I used to get asked all the time if I was going for an interview since I was wearing a suit :lol:

Some people make it seem like a suit is only for a world changing event, but it's probably the most default thing a gent can wear....white shirt, gray/navy suit, and dress shoes...no brain required.

Banana Republic does have great items once in a rare moon, check them out, dude!

Thanks wj4 for the feedback and pictures! I can always count on you for your detailed responses. Just a question, how do you tell if a shoulder is too small or too big. Just for future buys, what do you look for? I am often stumped when it comes to this

Thanks wj4 for the feedback and pictures! I can always count on you for your detailed responses. Just a question, how do you tell if a shoulder is too small or too big. Just for future buys, what do you look for? I am often stumped when it comes to this
Your shoulders should fall in line with the shoulders of the jacket. Yours protrude out a bit, because it's a bit too big. If shoulders are too small, you would feel constraints on the shoulders. Appearance-wise, it would be hard to tell.

Like this jacket: http://www.tsbmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/badfashion2.jpg

It looks a bit tight around the shoulders. It looks like he wouldn't be able to raise his arms.

RE: arm holes...I think it's fine. If you're not used to wearing jackets, it will feel restrictive. You're not going to be able to do jumping jacks in them like you would in a t shirt. I thought the same at first...I thought my arm holes were too low. I tried on some jackets with high arm holes and while they look great when I'm standing straight...they were even more restrictive. They would cut into my pits since the holes are so high, and even doing simple motions would be hindered since there was no extra fabric for movement.

I plan on buying only 4 pairs of shoes or so in '13...and this is one of them...the sleekness is just speechless:

Last edited:
It is what it is, man. If you like dressing up, roll with it. I used to get asked all the time if I was going for an interview since I was wearing a suit :lol:

Some people make it seem like a suit is only for a world changing event, but it's probably the most default thing a gent can wear....white shirt, gray/navy suit, and dress shoes...no brain required.

Banana Republic does have great items once in a rare moon, check them out, dude!
I feel you on that. I'm finally at that point around campus that no one asks why I'm in a shirt and tie. Most are just are used to me dressing like that all the time.

As for BR, I definitely will. I'm transitioning out of solely shopping from the gap and going more jcrew but I will keep my eye open whenever those 40% sales are running

Last edited:
I plan on buying only 4 pairs of shoes or so in '13...and this is one of them...the sleekness is just speechless:
also, these are beautiful. being that you are trying to limit the amount you buy this year, these gotta be something crazy. i'm guessing carmina?

A: I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can wear my Thom blazer with shorts and wing tips :lol: And yep, they're Carminas. I think we will put the order in by Spring or so. The pattern was drafted by Epaulet and materials are still pending. The other pair I know I want is some navy pythons :lol: This is why I regretted buying so much quickly. I have 2-3 pairs of clunky Aldens that I would much rather avoided in the first place for something sleek like this. Oh well :frown:

Back
Top Bottom