Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Fellas: I want to pick your brain a bit. When it comes to buying clothes...what are the criteria you set? Low price? High quality? etc. Thanks.
really depends what i is that i'm buying. If its like a winter boot or a pair of oxfords, i tend to go more high quality because i would rather wear them for more than one year/ season and have them get ruined, i have had bad experiences with poorly made footwear. 

Fellas: I want to pick your brain a bit. When it comes to buying clothes...what are the criteria you set? Low price? High quality? etc. Thanks.

A little bit of both. Often times I find myself setting a budget for myself, then sifting through brands that fit that budget.

Also, I like to shop from the same 2-3 stores, especially if they have "staple" items that I know will fit well due to past purchases.

I've learned that when it comes to keeping up with trends, I will buy cheap (H&M, BR, J Crew Factory, etc.) because I will usually replace those pieces within a year or two. Ideally, they will last longer than that, but in terms of building a lasting wardrobe and finding staple pieces (1-2 pairs of denim, OCBDs, dress shirts and shoes) I will spend more money to make sure they last.

Criteria for me is simple, do I like it, can I incorporate it into my wardrobe, and do I like the price. When it comes to basics, I honestly don't want to spend an arm and a leg. With dress shirts I am always looking for cotton, oxford cloth or broadcloth, that is the main thing I'm looking for when it comes to shirts, outside of neck size. I have to get my shirts tailored regardless since I wear a size 17.5/18 neck and they're big throughout the body. When it comes to suits as of a year ago, I'm looking at the quality.

I always appreciate your inputs, gents.

I've always stated that money is in fast fashion. 3rd richest man on Earth is the founder of Zara. I always thought it is really interesting that the affluent individuals either come from money or dirt, but rarely in-between.

What is the rule of thumb when wearing V neck sweaters? Do you wear a t shirt under or no t shirt?

or

Last edited:
Fellas: I w.ant to pick your brain a bit. When it comes to buying clothes...what are the criteria you set? Low price? High quality? etc. Thanks.

Fit,nothing too big or too tight.
How well it will work with other things in my wardrobe that I already own.
The setting I will be wearing it in
Color,besides shoes I own no black clothing and no white clothing at all.
As for quality I don't want it to fall apart with one wear,so if lasts at least a year I'm satisfied
Price doesn't really matter

What is the rule of thumb when wearing V neck sweaters? Do you wear a t shirt under or no t shirt?

or

I either wear a dress shirt/collar shirt or nothing under. The collar of a t shirt disturbs the flow of the v-neck for me.

What kind of shoes are these and where did you cop them from if you dont mind me asking?
As stated, they're Maison Martin Margiela. Since it's from s/s 2013, I'm sure you can get them from their own store, along with other Margiela retailers. I don't see them being less than $500 since they're high tops.

If I find a brand I like, I tend to stick with it for awhile. Good deals are a major plus.

Shoes- Very fond of Allen Edmond's for dress shoes. Just like the way they are built, they last a long time. Every pair I purchased was during a sale and I'm very happy with their quality. I do have casual shoes from Cole Haan, Florsheim, Bass, Clarks. Mostly because I got a good deal on them.

Shirts - I like BB ESF and Charles Tyrwhitt, very fond of their make, cuts and quality. Had no issues and deals are great. Also have a few Banana Republic shirts, deals make it hard to pass up especially when stacking coupons/promo codes.

Pants/Trousers - Levis 508/514/521 for jeans, Dockers Alpha's and various types of dress pants. If anything dress pants is one that I haven't really found a brand to roll with. Have some Haggars, some BR, nothing fancy. All tailored. They do the job, but wouldn't brag about them.

Belts - Nice belt, good color, solid deal, it gets purchased.

Suits - Haven't gone the MTM route or a suit over $500 route. I'm heading in that direction with my next suit, a navy one. Right now I have a few BR suits and a CK suit that get rotated. I'm thinking suit supply for the navy suit.

Question when it comes to tailoring.

As the current trends are always changing, I was wondering if when getting trousers tapered from the knee down, is it possible to save the fabric, and reverse the operation for a more conservative cut in the future and add an inch or so?

So glad I've moved into the more "fitting" clothes now and not the graphic tee trend I was in, I still have the urge to buy sneakers tho. Do you guys still have most of your sneakers in your weekly rotation? Or have you gotten rid of most of them?

I still have a large majority of my sneakers, they are rarely worn though

You guys tripping about black suits. LoL. Every man should have one. I am curious to know how many suits and blazers you guys own...

I have:

2 Tuxs
12 Blazers
15 Suits

A black suit was the first suit I ever bought. Although I do like it, I only wear it to VERY dressy events.

12 blazers and 2 tuxs I can understand but why 15 suits? Seems slightly OD.

My stats is

1 tux
10 blazers (8 tailored)
6 suits (all tailored)

or

Nice collared shirt or T-Shirt will work. Don't wear nothing under. That's more fitting for a V-neck shirt and not a sweater.

This is an extremely convoluted answer.

To the poster asking, just look at the photos and you'll know what's appropriate. If you want to look like an old man, wear a t-shirt under a v-neck sweater.

This is an extremely convoluted answer.

To the poster asking, just look at the photos and you'll know what's appropriate. If you want to look like an old man, wear a t-shirt under a v-neck sweater.

Calm yourself, son. The guy with the white tee under looks like an old man because he is an old man. The white tee under v-neck looks fine here. If this disturbs you, you can always wear a v-neck under a v-neck, I suppose:

Last edited:
The thing about wearing a t shirt under a sweater is most likely you have to tuck the t shirt in your pants to avoid the shirt from hanging out. I did this before and it was horrible.

I have several fitted sweaters that are too snugged for a dress or sport shirt to be worn under so I wear nothing under at all. I like the result a lot better than with a t shirt personally.

The thing about wearing a t shirt under a sweater is most likely you have to tuck the t shirt in your pants to avoid the shirt from hanging out. I did this before and it was horrible.

I have several fitted sweaters that are too snugged for a dress or sport shirt to be worn under so I wear nothing under at all. I like the result a lot better than with a t shirt personally.

V-neck sweaters are always going to be a little shorter than the shirt because it's supposed to expose your belt. Tucking a white tee in isn't too bad. I just tried on a white undershirt underneath my black Lacoste v-neck. It looked pretty good, but that has a lot to do with the V cut not being too large. With some of the other companies it might not look as good with a deeper V cut.

V-neck sweaters are always going to be a little shorter than the shirt because it's supposed to expose your belt. Tucking a white tee in isn't too bad. I just tried on a white undershirt underneath my black Lacoste v-neck. It looked pretty good, but that has a lot to do with the V cut not being too large. With some of the other companies it might not look as good with a deeper V cut.

You posted a picture to back up your claim, which I applaud, but personally I think the tee underneath isn't a good look, man. No undershirt results in a much cleaner look. It's either a dress shirt, nothing or bust.

Last edited:

For clothing, my major sticking point is the fit. If it doesn't fit me well off the rack, word to all of Adrian's thrifting purchases, or have a shape that can be easily tailored then I won't buy it. This comes into play mostly with pants and shirts, where I'm very picky, so I tend to find brands that fit my body well and run with them.

In terms of shoes, it comes down to quality first then how much I need a shoe of that color then finally price. I know this debate popped up a few weeks ago but I'd rather purchase one pair of expensive, high quality shoes in a color and last that I don't already have vs. Several cheaper shoes of lesser quality in similar colors.

Back
Top Bottom