Dressing Better Vol 2.0

J Crew and Urban Outfitters are my favorite stores and I think it is important to balance prints to make sure you don't have too much going on.

is the cartier love bracelet unisex? i think it looks great but kind of feminine. i would get one if it were thicker

Seen them on Ye, Rob Kardashian, Scott, they usually have 2 on though....I LOVE them, but at 15-25k each, is abit above budget...lol

unless you get the iced out one they are not that expensive. i think the plain gold ones without stones are like $5-6 grand. i was thinking about getting one for my gf but figured she would rather i put a ring on it first lol

Last edited:
opinions please...i get that variety is important but would some of you say tis better to own a few high quality pieces or a decent amount of cheaper pieces?

this is mostly in regard to suits...like 2 more expensive basic ones vs. 4 or 5 cheaper ones...

More expensive suits, denim should be more expensive usually too. (If you're using them to dress up) Then again, you shouldn't be looking for "expensive." You should be looking for things that are high quality and fit well, they don't necessarily have to be expensive. You just want quality.
As a matter of fact, it seems that a lot of the time cheaper stuff can be better.
I think for regular things like cardigans, sweaters, etc you can get away with H&M and GAP stuff though. H&M is cheap and most products reflect that but it's hard to notice unless you're the one wearing it honestly. :lol:

I go with cheaper suits that fit well. To be honest most people probably can't tell a $300 dollar suit apart from a $3000 one. I know a MD at GS that has pretty expensive suits but they're all off the rack and i don't think he has any alterations done to them and as a result, they are pretty baggy and :x As long as your tailor gets the alterations done right, you should be fine.

As for sweaters I think knits are one thing where you shouldn't be cheap on. I've felt Uniqlo and H&M cardigans and what not and they are thin as hell. SNS Herning is more expensive but the quality difference is huge and I don't see H&M/Uniqlo quality knits being in use for more than a year whereas SNS will have a longer life and be warmer.

Last edited:
is the cartier love bracelet unisex? i think it looks great but kind of feminine. i would get one if it were thicker

Seen them on Ye, Rob Kardashian, Scott, they usually have 2 on though....I LOVE them, but at 15-25k each, is abit above budget...lol

Are you trying to get the one with diamonds? I just want the open bracelet in white gold (~$4500). Even the regular bracelet in white gold is $6300 and the yellow/pink gold is ~$5900.

opinions please...i get that variety is important but would some of you say tis better to own a few high quality pieces or a decent amount of cheaper pieces?

this is mostly in regard to suits...like 2 more expensive basic ones vs. 4 or 5 cheaper ones...

More expensive suits, denim should be more expensive usually too. (If you're using them to dress up) Then again, you shouldn't be looking for "expensive." You should be looking for things that are high quality and fit well, they don't necessarily have to be expensive. You just want quality.
As a matter of fact, it seems that a lot of the time cheaper stuff can be better.

I go with cheaper suits that fit well. To be honest most people probably can't tell a $300 dollar suit apart from a $3000 one. As long as your tailor gets the alterations done right, you should be fine.

I would really, really advice against this if you have the money to spend on suits.

I mean some of you guys are acting like good quality suits that cost more can't be altered. The choice isn't just between a well fitting cheap suit or a big-boxy expensive suit. All of these suits can be easily tailored to fit. If you are going to wear the suits frequently, 2 very good quality suit in the $500-$700 range will outlast 5 $120 H&M suit or those Jos A Banks buy 1 suit get 10 suits for free.

I am not even talking about designer suits here like Black Label or Paul Smith Mainline that cost $2k. Go to Nordstrom Rack, get a $400-$500 Zegna suit or Corneliani. Hell get $200-$300 JCrew Ludlow Suits or Brooks Brothers, those will last longer than what you get from H&M. I am all about getting a deal and getting things for cheap but you can't always go for the "cheap but well fitting" option all the time. To be honest, if I am going to spend extra money on altering a suit, it is much more worth it to alter a more expensive, better quality suit than that of H&M that will get wrecked after about 6 months of constant wear, the money you paid for the alteration will simply be a waste since oyu'd need to replace it and have the new one altered again.

Don't agree with getting away with cheap sweaters either, those are so rough and itchy after a wash, not to mention losing it's shape or shrinking and you aren't going to bring a cheap $15 sweater to the cleaners.

Last edited:

I go with cheaper suits that fit well. To be honest most people probably can't tell a $300 dollar suit apart from a $3000 one. As long as your tailor gets the alterations done right, you should be fine.

I would really, really advice against this if you have the money to spend on suits.

I mean some of you guys are acting like good quality suits that cost more can't be altered. All of these suits can be easily tailored to fit. If you are going to wear the suits frequently, 2 very good quality suit in the $500-$700 range will outlast 5 $120 H&M suit or those Jos A Banks buy 1 suit get 10 suits for free.

I am not even talking about designer suits here like Black Label or Paul Smith Mainline that cost $2k. Go to Nordstrom Rack, get a $400-$500 Zegna suit or Corneliani. Hell get $200-$300 JCrew Ludlow Suits or Brooks Brothers, those will last longer than what you get from H&M. I am all about getting a deal and getting things for cheap but you can't always go for the "cheap but well fitting" option all the time. To be honest, if I am going to spend extra money on altering a suit, it is much more worth it to alter a more expensive, better quality suit than that of H&M that will get wrecked after about 6 months of constant wear, the money you paid for the alteration will simply be a waste since oyu'd need to replace it and have the new one altered again.

Don't agree with getting away with cheap sweaters either, those are so rough and itchy after a wash, not to mention losing it's shape or shrinking and you aren't going to bring a cheap $15 sweater to the cleaners.

No, you wouldn't want to bring it to the cleaners. However, not everyone brings sweaters to the cleaners.

I don't own any H&M though, I was mostly referring to GAP. I have several of their sweaters and cardigans and every several washes they remain comfortable and haven't lost their shape.

StyleBlogger does this all the time called 1-piece/3-way or 5-way. IIRC he has done it with a tux jacket, different colored suits where he separates them, camel coat, etc... even an umbrella. It would be interesting to see NTs take on the challenge.

Most recently he did it with a vintage shearling bomber:

Yeap Dan does a great job of this. I actually did this myself a few months back, taking a suit and wearing it 3 ways:
http://dressingbetterforless.blogspot.com/2012/11/today-for-work.html
http://dressingbetterforless.blogspot.com/2012/11/part-2-one-suit-three-looks-today-for.html
http://dressingbetterforless.blogspot.com/2012/11/part-3-one-suit-three-looks-today-for.html

No, you wouldn't want to bring it to the cleaners. However, not everyone brings sweaters to the cleaners.

I don't own any H&M though, I was mostly referring to GAP. I have several of their sweaters and cardigans and every several washes they remain comfortable and haven't lost their shape.

No, not everyone bring them to the cleaner and that is why I put that after stating about the sweaters losing shape or shrinking because many just throw them in the washer.

Ok so what's the next challenge? Black challenge or 3 the hard way Challenge?

And will it start?

lets start easy and do incorporating black, then probably move into incorporating a more "out there" color. I think the 3 way challenge is cool but we should work our way up to that.

Very true, but I was referring to more dress type denim, APC for example. Selvedge Levis are great as well
I've always wanted to try some APC, but the standard 36 inseam always got me second guessing.

APCs are great man! They will shorten up very slightly if you wash them.

Like RFX said, getting a hem is cheap. It can be hard to find a good tailor to do it though, a lot of tailors have a hard time making it look the same.

No, not everyone bring them to the cleaner and that is why I put that after stating about the sweaters losing shape or shrinking because many just throw them in the washer.

Exactly, so for some people it wouldn't be a concern which is what I was trying to say :smile:

@Sarteaga, I agree with you. We should start simple with the black challenge. I'm excited to see what RFX will do for it :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom