Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Anyone aware of when, historically, J.Crew allows a discount on full priced third party items?

Specifically, I was wondering if they ever have one of their 20-25% off of EVERYTHING sales around this time of year.

I want a pair of J.Crew x Aldens but I cant bring myself to pay full price on anything from them knowing that a discount can be had, even on Aldens.

The last one I remember was around February or March last year
This is what I vaguely remember also. I guess I'll have to sit and wait.

Side note, will you be attending the ASA convention in New Orleans later this year to fulfill your CME requirement?

Last edited:
We only get 5 paid conference days per academic year and reimbursement up to $1000 only if you are a presenter. So if you don't have a poster or anything it doesn't really make sense to use vacation time to go.

Japan's Fast Retailing is in talks to buy J. Crew, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal

Fast Retailing, which is worth a stunning $36 billion, approached J. Crew this week, according to the report. 

J. Crew is seeking as much as $5 billion in the dealWSJ writes, citing sources close to the deal. 

The companies are in early talks, and the negotiations might not advance, according to the report. The report also states that the company has enlisted Goldman Sachs for early IPO work. 

In addition to Uniqlo, Fast Retailing owns brands like J Brand, Theory, and National Standard. 

Uniqlo has said it wants to open  more than 200 stores in every major U.S. city. The company is known for its affordable basics, and is already the dominant retailer in Asia. 

J. Crew has more than 400 American stores. Private-equity firms TPG Capital and Leonard Green & Partners currently own the retailer.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/uniqlo-is-in-talks-to-buy-j-crew-2014-2#ixzz2ufIhMsDv

...interesting 
nerd.gif

I read an article last year in Business Bloomberg about how excited J.Crew was about being one of the American brans teaching the world how to dress and now this.

Speaking of jcew, I ordered the duck camo penfield jacket they have and did not like the quality. The stitching to one of the buttons was already coming off and the jacket fit weird. Returned with the quickness.

Speaking of jcew, I ordered the duck camo penfield jacket they have and did not like the quality. The stitching to one of the buttons was already coming off and the jacket fit weird. Returned with the quickness.
I wanted to buy the navy blue one, but after checking it out, I felt the same way as you.

Edit - J. Crew needs to stay where it's at.

Last edited:
We only get 5 paid conference days per academic year and reimbursement up to $1000 only if you are a presenter. So if you don't have a poster or anything it doesn't really make sense to use vacation time to go.
I see. I was thinking about tagging along with my fiance to New Orleans this year. I believe she gets 5 paid days + up to roughly $3000 reimbursement for medical supplies & equipment, CME related trips, etc. She gets reimbursed for just going and getting her CME credits.

It was kind of a random question but she and I were discussing it at the time and I remembered you mentioning you were an Anesthesiologist.

Last edited:
I read an article last year in Business Bloomberg about how excited J.Crew was about being one of the American brans teaching the world how to dress and now this.
J. Crew made that magazine several times. The first was several years ago for stealing designs. I posted the article here before. They documented workers walking into stores like Jack Spade and buy everything with their J. Crew corporate cards :lol: then they copy the designs.

I've been saying this for a long time. J. Crew has found a niche for itself. It's teaching the world how to dress "American".

Went to a Nordstrom Rack around the hotel and dang...I saw brands like Jil Sander and A Wang. Never saw those at Rack before.

Stepping up my eyeglass game...

Mykita "Helmut" 48-20-145, handmade in Germany. Fairly new company making some waves.

I've usually gone with Italian made eyewear, have a pair of Silhouettes from Austria. I've got a spare pair of Luxottica-era Ray-Bans but the quality is so bad. It's rough being from Rochester, home of Bausch and Lomb and the original Ray-Bans. So many retro pairs floating around but $$$$$

I'm confined to glasses after an accident in high school made contacts too painful to wear.

Last edited:
J. Crew made that magazine several times. The first was several years ago for stealing designs. I posted the article here before. They documented workers walking into stores like Jack Spade and buy everything with their J. Crew corporate cards :lol: then they copy the designs.

I've been saying this for a long time. J. Crew has found a niche for itself. It's teaching the world how to dress "American".

Went to a Nordstrom Rack around the hotel and dang...I saw brands like Jil Sander and A Wang. Never saw those at Rack before.
once i found a lanvin t-shirt lol

Last edited:

Seriously? Where are you?

I was looking in Atlanta and all I found was Theory and Vince, pretty sure that's at most Nordstrom Racks

Seriously? Where are you?

I was looking in Atlanta and all I found was Theory and Vince, pretty sure that's at most Nordstrom Racks
I'm in San Diego at the moment. Prices are not dirt cheap btw.

The Jil cardigan was in my size. Retail was like $1200 and it was at Rack for $450. About the 65 percent off that some items are on discount now at Nordstrom's website. Was tempted but too much for a non scheduled purpose.

The A Wang stuff fit really weird. Some places were loose and other places were tight. Oh yeah, it's the T line, not the mainline. About half off retail. Most were sporty pieces like hoodies and tapered sweats.

Just saw this on tumblr. Needs to be put on the first page :lol:

http://www.voxsartoria.com/

Little Known Brief Menswear Tales: Nine Essential Style Rules

Rule 1. When combining different patterns, strike first at your enemy’s neck.

Rule 2. The classic American long wing blucher is balanced exactly like a boomerang and can be used in the same manner if the Starbucks line is slow.

Rule 3. When a workplace competitor asks your advice on what necktie knot to use, smile slightly and answer, “The hangman’s noose.”

Rule 4. Mind your zipper when you take your public lavatory selfie for the Internet.

Rule 5. Dip your pocket square in ether every morning just in case.

Rule 6. It’s not really bespoke unless (1) it has an individual pattern and (2) enrages other dudes.

Rule 7. “I’m a good fit in ready-to-wear” is just another way of saying that you have a crappy job.

Rule 8. True, no one can tell that you are wearing Allen Edmonds seconds, but everyone can tell that you are wearing Allen Edmonds.

Rule 9. At the end of your jacket sleeve, show a bit of cuff. At the end of your cuff, show a clenched fist ready to strike

I'm in San Diego at the moment. Prices are not dirt cheap btw.

The Jil cardigan was in my size. Retail was like $1200 and it was at Rack for $450. About the 65 percent off that some items are on discount now at Nordstrom's website. Was tempted but too much for a non scheduled purpose.

The A Wang stuff fit really weird. Some places were loose and other places were tight. Oh yeah, it's the T line, not the mainline. About half off retail. Most were sporty pieces like hoodies and tapered sweats.

Hmmm I'm going to have to check it out. I might be out in San Diego come May for some training

Can someone point me in the direction of some plain grey, SOFT, fitted, crew neck t-shirts please? The type of shirts that those vintage tee's are printed on? 

Thanks in advance. 

Can someone point me in the direction of some plain grey, SOFT, fitted, crew neck t-shirts please? The type of shirts that those vintage tee's are printed on? 

Thanks in advance. 
Check out the J. Crew vintage t shirts. I personally love them.

Back
Top Bottom