Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I love Club Monaco, probably because I'm from Canada

It was founded in Toronto, Alfred Sung was a founder, and eventually got bought by Ralph Lauren

Last edited:

It was founded in Toronto, Issey Miyake was a designer for a while, and eventually got bought by Ralph Lauren
Aaron Levine moved CM into the right direction.

Then he moved to Abercrombie, which is becoming one of my go-to brands now. Don't sleep.

It was founded in Toronto, Alfred Sung was a founder, and eventually got bought by Ralph Lauren
Club Monaco is great for some "decent" quality staples at heavily discounted prices. Although it's tried to brand itself as luxury mid level clothing/accessories, it's nowhere near the quality of it's price points at full MSRP. Since you're a local Toronto guy, I can share that Scarborough Town Centre's location used to be a gold mine for me because the SAs told me that they used that particular store as basically an outlet/sale store. I was able to score a whole bunch of very nice items for about 60-80% off retail. Unfortunately that location is now closed and probably because of that reason itself.

They moved the outlet to TPO [emoji]128521[/emoji]

And ya I only buy stuff when its on clearance/sale

Last edited:

Was on sale for 50% off due to it being a return

Where'd you cop? How much was it?

There is a difference between style and fashion. Fashionable pants are trendy, and they come and go with time. Example would be skinny pants, distressed ripped jeans, bell bottoms, extreme dark and light washed colors. A nice fitting slight taper or straight pants have never fallen out of style. James Dean to current day. Go with that.

So much this ^^^

Camel topcoat and suede chelseas... go cheap. Destroyed denim, drop crotches and flight jackets... go cheap.

Dark slim denim slim chinos, polos... go high quality.

Clothes that have longevity are investments... if you're chasing trends H&M all day. It feels a lot better throwing out a $7 H&M elongated tee than a 250$ elongated Fear of God tee.

Just my opinion... but also facts.

So much this ^^^

Camel topcoat and suede chelseas... go cheap. Destroyed denim, drop crotches and flight jackets... go cheap.

Dark slim denim slim chinos, polos... go high quality.

Clothes that have longevity are investments... if you're chasing trends H&M all day. It feels a lot better throwing out a $7 H&M elongated tee than a 250$ elongated Fear of God tee.

My APCs just got their first crotch rip after about 160ish wears and 3 washes, have has since May 2016.

If I tried to put fast fashion clothes through that many wears they would not last.

Clothes that have longevity are investments...

Agreed! Low end for everyday kicking around. Then slowly pick nice higher end items for going out. Pretty soon you will have more clothes than you know what to do with. Look for quality over name brand. With some high end brands all your paying for is a name, but with other brands your paying for better fabric and quality construction. I am all for picking up the items that cost more but will last.

Honestly, the only quality items I drop real money for are jeans and shoes. Everything else I don't really see needing to be heavily invested in.

There is a difference between style and fashion. Fashionable pants are trendy, and they come and go with time. Example would be skinny pants, distressed ripped jeans, bell bottoms, extreme dark and light washed colors. A nice fitting slight taper or straight pants have never fallen out of style. James Dean to current day. Go with that.

Chelsea are nice for a min, but definitely a come and go fad. I prefer lace up Truman boots or Vibergs. True classic boot that won't ever go out of style.

If you're going to talk historic facts like James Dean, then you should know the story behind Chelsea boots.

And there's nothing wrong with indigo (dark wash) and light washed jeans. The British youth been doing this before you or I were born.

What are y'all wearing on Valentine's Day?
Went to dinner last night. Wore a navy pindot suit with a pink shirt/white collar.

If you're going to talk historic facts like James Dean, then you should know the story behind Chelsea boots.

And there's nothing wrong with indigo (dark wash) and light washed jeans. The British youth been doing this before you or I were born.

I am sorry that we have a difference of opinion. I apologize if you take offense to my opinions. I still feel that trendy items come in and out of fashion every 10 or so years. Example (IMO) Chelsea Boots. I know they are "fire" right now, but they will be gone next year. And ripped jeans will come and go just as fast as they did in the 90s.

I made mention of Extreme light and dark washed jeans as well. An example (IMO) is the super dark, ridged, raw selveged denim that everyone had..... last year. Now it's moving back towards acid wash, super light, and ripped jeans, like we wore in the early 90s, and those will be done with within a couple years.

None of these are classics with staying power (IMO) But a nice pair of regular indigo jeans, or any solid color pant with a nice cut and fit, a captoe boot, or nice leather oxford, have always been stylish. Not sure how young, or old you think I am, but I do think your estimation my be a little off.

Last edited:
Honestly, the only quality items I drop real money for are jeans and shoes. Everything else I don't really see needing to be heavily invested in.

I would include outerwear in there,unless you live somewhere that doesn't necessitate it.

I have learned to spend good money on dress shirts and ties as well. A well made dress shirt fits better, looks better, cleans better, irons better, and lasts longer. A nice tie can take an outfit from zero to hero. Pay money for good belts too, they will last a lifetime.

I need to make the move on some of those R. Culturi ties. Speaking of which, how do you all go about cleaning your ties? I have a few that have some stains on them, tags say "dry clean only" but I've also read not to dry clean you tie...

I need to make the move on some of those R. Culturi ties. Speaking of which, how do you all go about cleaning your ties? I have a few that have some stains on them, tags say "dry clean only" but I've also read not to dry clean you tie...
Unfortunately when most ties get dirty they are done........ a hand full of dry cleaners know how to handle, clean, and press ties properly, but many don't. Thus the, "you shouldn't take ties to the dry cleaners". A lot of the fabrics used to make ties (external and internal) don't respond well to water or agitation of any kind. I have found the best thing to do is to always keep your eyes open for ties. Department stores, specialty stores, even thrift stores. Anytime you see a nice quality tie on the sale rack that speaks to you for under $10 or $20, pick it up, whether you need it or not. Not a big hit to the pocket and after a while you will have more ties than you know what to do with. Go through them occasionally, keep the nice ones, discard the older ties.

Last edited:
Quality over quantity when it comes to ties. We have a future project in the work that might offer a better price point to some of the folks in here. Will keep y'all posted when we get that a bit more solidified.

I've learned my lesson on ties,although I own less than 10 I refuse to spend more than 25-30 on a tie after learning that dry cleaners can possibly really mess them up and they stand very seriously by their "Not responsible for damage" policy.

Back
Top Bottom