Dressing better

What are the pants called that look like khakis but is more of a pea soup green color and fits a little bit more loose? I can't think of a better way todescribe it lol.

You don't have to come to a conclusion that you are a poser if you are dressed nicely, like your pretending to be rich.
The richest man in the worlds does not dress well, look at Bill Gates.
Dressing better should be looking presentable and looking in the mirror and saying to yourself, "damn, that looks good."
That is why some issues in this thread are subjective.

First thing to remember is fit. Trust me, wearing fitted clothes will never go out of style.
Get classic, versatile items. Blue oxford, bucks, slim khaki, slim jeans, navy sportcoat, etc...
Create your own style by incorporating the aforementioned items.

For cheap alternatives, as mentioned, H&M, ZARA, BR when on sale, even GAP.
Hell, even the One Star brand at Target is looking decent and their shirts retail for $20-$25 each.
The fit is decent too, not as big and boxy. Keep looking at outlets or stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Loehmanns.
Do not necessarily look for brand but a look. Do not hesitate to try on Calvin Klein or DKNY, those brands make slim fitting clothes.
Nordstrom Rack is littered with cheap dress shoes and boots. Even low profile sneakers like Jack Purcells.
They also have plenty of suits and sport coats. The same goes with cardigans, sweaters, winter jackets, etc...

Originally Posted by Hella Fresh007

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by RFX45

Dressing nicely does not mean wealth.
This could be done in a cheap way and you have plenty of options such as H&M or BR on sale.
+1,000,000. You just got to hunt for deals, that's where the fun lies IMO. I'm sure no one here spent $2,000+ on suits or $800 on a dress shirt like those in the GQ pages. You get the concept and you adapt it accordingly.

All of my dress shirts and button downs are from $15-40 a piece. All on sale from J. Crew and Banana Republic, and a few of Kenneth Cole. Spend another $10 on each to get the width taken in and they fit really really well. Aside from the Clark desert boots, everything were bought on sale for me. It's not about having a lot of clothes, but having a versatile rotation that can be mixed and matched for different occasions.
can you post some of your fits please?
i feel like to dress better, people would think your well off, when in my case, i'm really not.
so i would still feel like a poser, but i really like the style and how it looks.
I erased some of the stuff I posted, but this is what I have left.
f06jc9.jpg

Shirt is from BR, on sale for $40. Spent another $15 to tailor it. Pants are from J. Crew, $25.
2vd45yg.jpg

Shirt is from BR, on sale for $15. Spent another $15 to tailor it. Tie is from J. Crew outlet, $30. Cardigan is from BR, $30.

Hugo Boss suit on sale..$300, another $50 to tailor it. Shirt from BR $20, $15 to tailor it. J. Crew tie, $30 from the outlet.
1zwccjr.jpg

These are random outfits from my vacation..I didn't go with plans of playing dress up or anything.
laugh.gif

Banana Republic slim fit polo..$20, shorts from J. Crew...$20.
vqgkth.jpg

J. Crew shirt...$30, $15 to tailor it, $25 shorts from Express
2zjcs2r.jpg

wj4, I know you were just trying stuff on, but that first outfit is begging for a brown belt.

Originally Posted by quik1987

wj4, I know you were just trying stuff on, but that first outfit is begging for a brown belt.
laugh.gif
Yes. When I originally posted that outfit, it was to go out and find a brown belt. At that time, I only had a tan one and a black one.

I hate the soles on the Doc Martens.
Theya re comfortable but the very thick sole just kills it for me and the way it is like clear gummy color of some sorts.
Not for me, but that's just me. Hard to pull it off in a less casual way.
sup

photobucket said i exceeded my bandwidth ...%$#? and i didnt even use it all last week. anyone have any ideas of a better hosting site?

anyway, here is an abridged version of fits from last week. smaller sizing due to the number of pics:
29dbchz.jpg

242fktt.jpg

35bb12a.jpg

2re7a55.jpg

1ag3n.jpg

and today ...

2z9fds0.jpg
9qw8zs.jpg
nnr4ue.jpg

Great combinations Niidawg but this one has got to be one of my favorites:
242fktt.jpg

I think it is the grey and carolina blue on the tie and the way the tie somewhat matches the suit, plus the pocket square.
Just awesome. I might have to steal that combo now. Now just to find a tie like that and I'll be set.

Project Upgrade 2
This one is somewhat better because it didn't limit itself to suits, it also brought in a more business casual shirt and tie w/o a jacket.
00001f.jpg
00002f.jpg

00003f.jpg
00004f.jpg

00005f.jpg
00006f.jpg

00007f.jpg
00008f.jpg

00009f.jpg
00010f.jpg

00011f.jpg
00012f.jpg

00013f.jpg
00014f.jpg

RFX45,

Any recommendations on WHERE to buy fitted suits like in your last post?

Any suggestions on where to get stuff tailored and what to look for in a tailor when you first meet them?

Thanks in advance.

^^
Honestly, I replied to that with like 2-3 paragraphs but when I submitted it, the damn YUKU wizard appeared, twice.
Sorry but I'm lazy right now so maybe I'll type it all up again later.
On the other hand, in those set of pics, the suits their wearing are:
00002f.jpg

Wool suit, $595, by DKNY

00008f.jpg

Wool flannel suit, $236, by Calvin Klein

00014f.jpg

Suit, $895, by Boss Black

Most of those are likely altered real well but any good tailor can do that.

Going off with what RFX said, if you buy those suits from their own shop, ie a Hugo Boss store, CK store, etc. more than likely they will have an inhousetailor to do the job for you. Any good tailor with experience will still be able to do the job though.

regarding tailoring, I will say to those that are just getting into it to be careful. Unless a tailor comes highly recommended, I would start with smaller/easystuff before handing over your suit to get altered. I've had a suit ruined by a tailor, and there was no recourse. It was one of those Mall based tailorsso I should have known better.

this is my thing how do you find a good tailor then i have more then a few things that need to be altered

i live in chicago if anybody has some good ones by the way
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Yea if you find yourself needing a tailor go to someone who's style and tailoring you respect and ask them where they go.

Originally Posted by c0nf0cal

regarding tailoring, I will say to those that are just getting into it to be careful. Unless a tailor comes highly recommended, I would start with smaller/easy stuff before handing over your suit to get altered. I've had a suit ruined by a tailor, and there was no recourse. It was one of those Mall based tailors so I should have known better.
What kind of suit was it?

I like my tailor... shes a woman, but shes cheap. So I can't really complain.... can I?

^^
Honestly, I replied to that with like 2-3 paragraphs but when I submitted it, the damn YUKU wizard appeared, twice.
Sorry but I'm lazy right now so maybe I'll type it all up again later.
???
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Originally Posted by c0nf0cal

regarding tailoring, I will say to those that are just getting into it to be careful. Unless a tailor comes highly recommended, I would start with smaller/easy stuff before handing over your suit to get altered. I've had a suit ruined by a tailor, and there was no recourse. It was one of those Mall based tailors so I should have known better.
What kind of suit was it?

I like my tailor... shes a woman, but shes cheap. So I can't really complain.... can I?
It wasn't a designer suit, it was a $300 Andrew Fezza, but the problem is I bought it for a job interview after I graduated...the pants weremuch too short (think Thom Browne - 5 years before he was in style). The tailor fixed it by tacking extra fabric to the pants to get them close, but itwasn't ideal. The thing with a tailor is there isn't really a price guideline. If they do good work, and you can afford it, I wouldn't switch. In bigger metropolitan areas you can afford to shop a tailor around.

Back
Top Bottom