DUNE (new film incoming, love the book, also loved the multiple Lynch versions)

yah i think imma pass on the 4Dx experience, im too washed and my back will be aching being in that seat for close to 3 hours :lol:

I watched the 1984 Dune by David Lynch on MAX last night.

The DV films are so superior thanks to the increased characterization and run time. Sometimes there’s no point in remaking a classic but in this case it was warranted due to the acting, effects, soundtrack, etc.

The 1984 version seems more like a psychedelic ride. And it doesn’t hide the crack head nature of the war lol.

1710171911080.jpeg

If I see it again, I'm definitely watching the first one before I do. I haven't even thought about it since I saw the first one in theatres and I feel like I would have liked it even more if I had part 1 fresh on my mind.

Saw it again on Sunday in IMAX. I was way too high but it was a good watch again. TBH i still prefer the AMC Dolby. Sound seemed much better.

Movie felt shorter albeit i did step out at the part where Paul reunites with Gurney to get some pretzel bites and take a leak. I don't remember when i came back.

I'd probably be down for a 3rd viewing only if it's either the 70mm IMAX or part of a double feature. But I def need to take a break from it. I started the OG and got 35 minutes in before i turned it off. It's interesting indeed i need to see how it progresses.

Having not read the book, one notable difference was that alien being in the original movie that was "conspiring" with the emperor. If that was part of the original novel then I feel it should've been included to give more depth as to why the emperor did what he did in wiping out the Atreides clan.

Austin Butler just killed in his role. That final fight with Paul still one of the best sequences to me.

And I didn't notice the first time, but Chani's demeanor change towards Paul seemed to happen rather quick and easy. I liken it to Daenary's turn to being evil at the end of GOT.

i felt like chani was always on the edge with paul and them planting the seeds that she isnt a believer in the religion from the get go was the set up

so once paul totally embraced it you knew it was gon be a problem

^^^yeah so now the 3rd movie if it's a go will be interesting since she's at a complete opposite stance of her novel counterpart.

^^^yeah so now the 3rd movie if it's a go will be interesting since she's at a complete opposite stance of her novel counterpart.

Chani, Alia (Obviously), and even Irulan to an extent are all on different footing that their characters were at the end of the Dune novel itself…For sure sets Denis up for some interesting possibilities if / when he gets down with Part 3…

If I see it again, I'm definitely watching the first one before I do. I haven't even thought about it since I saw the first one in theatres and I feel like I would have liked it even more if I had part 1 fresh on my mind.
Alt shift X does a great job explaining the lore of Dune. No spoilers past Dune 1. 90min though :lol:

Saw some complaints she didn't play Lady Jessica strong enough and didn't know what they were talking about, she was formidable as ****.
She was excellent. By the end when she was shooting glances at the Reverend mother

Saw it the third time although I fell asleep through at least 30 minutes of the 2nd viewing.

IMAX really is worth it and made the movie so much better. It's truly an epic on a grand scale.. one of the best cinema experiences I've had.

Also when Paul said he'd choose the emperor's daughter to be his wife my mom out loud goes "oh noooo" and me and my brother couldn't stop laughing

Having not read the book, one notable difference was that alien being in the original movie that was "conspiring" with the emperor. If that was part of the original novel then I feel it should've been included to give more depth as to why the emperor did what he did in wiping out the Atreides clan.

Austin Butler just killed in his role. That final fight with Paul still one of the best sequences to me.
Regarding your spoiler, why do you feel this is important?

I haven’t read the book (though I did buy it digitally recently). I noticed quite a few ideas or concepts not covered in the 1984 film (never watched the mini series) or were touched on. I think it’s a David Lynch or Denis Villeneuve choice. You know spice is important in the Villanueva films but it’s pretty clear in the Lynch films that it’s a DMT/Mushroom like drug lol. The “alien” you refer to isn’t an alien but someone who been hitting that Spice Melange hard!!

I feel like Butler was doing a Skarsgard lite performance. I didn’t even know that was Stellan Skarsgard as the Baron. He delivered a great performance. I love him as the Baron and as Luthen from Andor, my two favorite Sci fi projects recently.

Regarding your spoiler, why do you feel this is important?

I haven’t read the book (though I did buy it digitally recently). I noticed quite a few ideas or concepts not covered in the 1984 film (never watched the mini series) or were touched on. I think it’s a David Lynch or Denis Villeneuve choice. You know spice is important in the Villanueva films but it’s pretty clear in the Lynch films that it’s a DMT/Mushroom like drug lol. The “alien” you refer to isn’t an alien but someone who been hitting that Spice Melange hard!!

I feel like Butler was doing a Skarsgard lite performance. I didn’t even know that was Stellan Skarsgard as the Baron. He delivered a great performance. I love him as the Baron and as Luthen from Andor, my two favorite Sci fi projects recently.

Personally for me it made sense and cleared up why the emperor so hastily wiped them out. I guess i just didn’t like the fact that here the emperor did it because he could whereas in the 1984 movie that gave his decisions and choices more depth. The why is important to me. Someone who is a galactic emperor always has a plot or reason behind what they do. Especially on something as large scale as eradicating a house.

Again it may not be necessary to know in order to enjoy the movie but it’s still good to know for me.

Personally for me it made sense and cleared up why the emperor so hastily wiped them out. I guess i just didn’t like the fact that here the emperor did it because he could whereas in the 1984 movie that gave his decisions and choices more depth. The why is important to me. Someone who is a galactic emperor always has a plot or reason behind what they do. Especially on something as large scale as eradicating a house.

Again it may not be necessary to know in order to enjoy the movie but it’s still good to know for me.

To be fair…

They did mention the Spacing Guild requiring Spice to travel “the stars” or something along those lines, in the intro Part 1…

I feel like they did a sufficient job in showing the viewer how important spice is, which is the ultimate function of the spacing guild featuring so heavily in the book as well as that first movie…Between the Harkonnen sabotaging the equipment angle during the change over, Leto screaming at Liet-Kynes that if he didn’t get spice production back up it would be the end of house Atreides, and the harvester workers being hesitant to leave their spice payload even under threat of worm attack the point was made very clear to the viewer…

Also now that I think about it, Leto specifically mentions guild navigators in Part 1 when he asks Thufir Hawat how much it costs for the imperium to navigate to Caladan due to the trip requiring “3 guild navigators”…

Denis made this initial story about Arakkis and it felt more personal as a result…Him excluding the spacing guild was an easy way for him to do that without sacrificing the major plot points…

Besides he’s already said they’d feature guild navigators if / when he gets to do a Part 3…

They were choices.

Is there going to be a 100% perfect adaptation of Frank Herbert’s classic? No. Villeneuve Made choices to crafting a compelling story without getting bogged down with politics, zaniness, etc.

Lynch’s movie wasn’t entertaining to me. It came out a year or two after Return of the Jedi and looks noticeably worse. And the irritating English thespian acting wasn’t entertaining. Due to the run time, Lynch could barely tell the same story as Denis. Chani, played by the beautiful Sean Young, had no weight and was merely eye candy. There are numerous reasons why the latest Dune is the best.

Do I wish the DMT drug, fish people, warping/folding space, shields, etc had been expanded on? But I’m satisfied with what I got.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom