ESPN Films: The Fab 5: 3/13 9PM EST/6PM PST ON ESPN HD

Webber obviously knew he was being exploited by the school and NCAA. Hence brining up the fact that he noticed his $75 jersey and that he couldn't afford to buy a pizza. It made perfect sense for him to take some of Martin's money to make ends meet. However....Albom's comments really made me think twice about the whole Webber/Martin relationship. From Albom's account, the Webber's were living modestly and if he (C-Webb) did take the 200-300k, he did a great job of not flaunting it. How can a college basketball STAR keep that amount of money on the hush? Somewhere between Webber's silence and the Martin family speaking on their relationship is the truth....fact is, it's easy to throw stones at the guy...but none of us really know what went down.

a few other things:

*The way espn set up Webber's long walk down the Superdome tunnel was brilliant. I got goosebumps watching it. I kept waiting for the footage to end...but it kept going and going. I really felt bad for Webber in seeing him make that long walk...great job, ESPN.

*Jalen Rose was executive producer of the film

*I hope the day comes where Webber would be comfortable enough to speak about his time at Michigan.

Webber obviously knew he was being exploited by the school and NCAA. Hence brining up the fact that he noticed his $75 jersey and that he couldn't afford to buy a pizza. It made perfect sense for him to take some of Martin's money to make ends meet. However....Albom's comments really made me think twice about the whole Webber/Martin relationship. From Albom's account, the Webber's were living modestly and if he (C-Webb) did take the 200-300k, he did a great job of not flaunting it. How can a college basketball STAR keep that amount of money on the hush? Somewhere between Webber's silence and the Martin family speaking on their relationship is the truth....fact is, it's easy to throw stones at the guy...but none of us really know what went down.

a few other things:

*The way espn set up Webber's long walk down the Superdome tunnel was brilliant. I got goosebumps watching it. I kept waiting for the footage to end...but it kept going and going. I really felt bad for Webber in seeing him make that long walk...great job, ESPN.

*Jalen Rose was executive producer of the film

*I hope the day comes where Webber would be comfortable enough to speak about his time at Michigan.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

i still remember the t.o. incident, i was a hurt kid
tired.gif
QFT
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!
Originally Posted by seasoned vet

- watching the 'timeout' incident still hurts to this day. i have to turn away....i cant even look at it.

The thing about that is...

Michigan was DOWN by 2 points. There was absolutely no guarantee they'd score... Not to mention the missed travel call.
30t6p3b.gif
My Heels WON that game.

That said... I LOVED this doc. I haven't seen Two Escobars (always miss it) but The U was probably my favorite. But does anybody know when HBO's doc on UNLV airs?

DF!!!

- true, but my hurt isn't that i think they would have won.........it's for the way it all went down. had it been a missed shot it wouldnt hurt so bad. with the way that last possesion went down
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

2. Mitch Albom putting a different spin on the alleged 200-300k that Webber got from Ed Martin. Something in that story just doesn't add up. At all. A picture was painted of a kid who was struggling to buy things like pizza (remember, he asked Albom for some $), but then it all made sense when Ed Martin came in the picture and started to give payments to some of the players...however, where was the money going that Webber supposedly got? College kids are dumb...if he had all that money, he would have most likely flaunted some of it in some fashion.

- but what did that reporter say. that money (300k) probably changed hands after the second season but before he declared. (which is still illegal by NCAA standards)  it's like since C Webb didnt show any money in his college years that they jump to the conclusion that he must have never gotten any money.....

- when Jalen said "all Chris had to do was tell the truth", i mean telling the truth was easy for Jalen at the time because all Jalen took was a little pocket change. Webber couldnt say the same.

- then he said he felt a certain way about Chirs putting Ed out there like that. but if Ed did make some agreement right after the season that Jalen didnt know about.....maybe Webber realized that deal for what it really was AFTER he got into the L. and that was why he said the things publicly about Ed.

YO!

- watching the 'timeout' incident still hurts to this day. i have to turn away....i cant even look at it.

Michigan was DOWN by 2 points. There was absolutely no guarantee they'd score... Not to mention the missed travel call.
30t6p3b.gif
My Heels WON that game.

That said... I LOVED this doc. I haven't seen Two Escobars (always miss it) but The U was probably my favorite. But does anybody know when HBO's doc on UNLV airs?

DF!!!

- true, but my hurt isn't that i think they would have won.........it's for the way it all went down. had it been a missed shot it wouldnt hurt so bad. with the way that last possesion went down
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

2. Mitch Albom putting a different spin on the alleged 200-300k that Webber got from Ed Martin. Something in that story just doesn't add up. At all. A picture was painted of a kid who was struggling to buy things like pizza (remember, he asked Albom for some $), but then it all made sense when Ed Martin came in the picture and started to give payments to some of the players...however, where was the money going that Webber supposedly got? College kids are dumb...if he had all that money, he would have most likely flaunted some of it in some fashion.

- but what did that reporter say. that money (300k) probably changed hands after the second season but before he declared. (which is still illegal by NCAA standards)  it's like since C Webb didnt show any money in his college years that they jump to the conclusion that he must have never gotten any money.....

- when Jalen said "all Chris had to do was tell the truth", i mean telling the truth was easy for Jalen at the time because all Jalen took was a little pocket change. Webber couldnt say the same.

- then he said he felt a certain way about Chirs putting Ed out there like that. but if Ed did make some agreement right after the season that Jalen didnt know about.....maybe Webber realized that deal for what it really was AFTER he got into the L. and that was why he said the things publicly about Ed.

YO!

30t6p3b.gif
My Heels WON that game.

DF!!!

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Like I said...there are certain aspects of the Webber/Martin angle that don't add up.  We're not hearing Webber's side of the story and Ed Martin has passed away.  What we did hear was Jalen Rose/Michigan saying "all Webber needs to do is tell the truth."  Well, what is that "truth?"  No one knows....I'm not doubting that Webber didn't receive money...however it's a bit odd that the exact amount is pretty much unaccounted for.  It's easy to trace the money trail of Bullock, Taylor, Traylor, Baston, etc....but why is it so difficult to do so for Webber?  Honestly, I don't even think that Jalen knows the whole story....I'd love to hear Webber's POV when it's all said and done.  The documentary might have gone in another direction had Webber been on board. 

YO!

30t6p3b.gif
My Heels WON that game.

DF!!!

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Like I said...there are certain aspects of the Webber/Martin angle that don't add up.  We're not hearing Webber's side of the story and Ed Martin has passed away.  What we did hear was Jalen Rose/Michigan saying "all Webber needs to do is tell the truth."  Well, what is that "truth?"  No one knows....I'm not doubting that Webber didn't receive money...however it's a bit odd that the exact amount is pretty much unaccounted for.  It's easy to trace the money trail of Bullock, Taylor, Traylor, Baston, etc....but why is it so difficult to do so for Webber?  Honestly, I don't even think that Jalen knows the whole story....I'd love to hear Webber's POV when it's all said and done.  The documentary might have gone in another direction had Webber been on board. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by p charm

i really liked it, but i feel that ed martin was obviously just another corrupt booster, yea I'm sure he helped a lot of non prospect players out too but come on Jalen actin like he was just a nice guy who liked to by kids shoes, and no college players should not be paid, as if full rides aren't enough.

What is so hard to believe about it? There are dudes in my neighborhood TODAY that look out for kids that have nothing. Buy them this, buy them that. So what is making you think Jalen is lying?

As a supplement to this documentary, I suggest everyone listen to Jalen Rose's interview on Bill Simmons BS Report. Good stuff. - http://c.espnradio.com/au...ns_2011-03-09-154711.mp3

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by p charm

i really liked it, but i feel that ed martin was obviously just another corrupt booster, yea I'm sure he helped a lot of non prospect players out too but come on Jalen actin like he was just a nice guy who liked to by kids shoes, and no college players should not be paid, as if full rides aren't enough.

What is so hard to believe about it? There are dudes in my neighborhood TODAY that look out for kids that have nothing. Buy them this, buy them that. So what is making you think Jalen is lying?

As a supplement to this documentary, I suggest everyone listen to Jalen Rose's interview on Bill Simmons BS Report. Good stuff. - http://c.espnradio.com/au...ns_2011-03-09-154711.mp3

DoubleJs07 wrote:

DoubleJs07 wrote:

- what do you think Webber is going to say? Webber admitted to recieving money, what else is there to add? your question (i was addressing) was.......

however, where was the money going that Webber supposedly got? College kids are dumb...if he had all that money, he would have most likely flaunted some of it in some fashion

- the scenario Mitch Albom painted fits the best. that Webber got the bulk of that money after the season was over. what other aspects could Webber add to change that? i dont think Webber wants to.

- Mitch Albom's theory makes sense when it comes to tracing the money because according to him not long after Webber supposedly got the money he declared, it would be easy to hide it as a professional athlete versus a college student.

- if you add Webbers news confrence + his silence since + Mitch Albom's theory it does all add up.

DoubleJs07 wrote:

DoubleJs07 wrote:

- what do you think Webber is going to say? Webber admitted to recieving money, what else is there to add? your question (i was addressing) was.......

however, where was the money going that Webber supposedly got? College kids are dumb...if he had all that money, he would have most likely flaunted some of it in some fashion

- the scenario Mitch Albom painted fits the best. that Webber got the bulk of that money after the season was over. what other aspects could Webber add to change that? i dont think Webber wants to.

- Mitch Albom's theory makes sense when it comes to tracing the money because according to him not long after Webber supposedly got the money he declared, it would be easy to hide it as a professional athlete versus a college student.

- if you add Webbers news confrence + his silence since + Mitch Albom's theory it does all add up.

Jalen said in the podcast that it was a loan after the tourney, before the draft, and Webber never paid it back for some reason.  I think that adds up to the whole "thought it was love given for free" that Webber said years later with the Kings. 

The other thing Jalen said was Davis was NOT a Michigan booster.  He had ZERO ties to Michigan.  Wasn't an alum, wasn't an agent, wasn't anything, just a guy that helped kids here and there.  He had no idea why Michigan was punished for that.  Completely understandable if he was tied to Michigan, but this was not a guy paying players to go here or go there.  Wasn't a pay for performance thing either. 

Jalen said in the podcast that it was a loan after the tourney, before the draft, and Webber never paid it back for some reason.  I think that adds up to the whole "thought it was love given for free" that Webber said years later with the Kings. 

The other thing Jalen said was Davis was NOT a Michigan booster.  He had ZERO ties to Michigan.  Wasn't an alum, wasn't an agent, wasn't anything, just a guy that helped kids here and there.  He had no idea why Michigan was punished for that.  Completely understandable if he was tied to Michigan, but this was not a guy paying players to go here or go there.  Wasn't a pay for performance thing either. 

Mitch Albom is a pretty credible dude, and what he said got me thinkin'.

Nonetheless,  that's a damn shame that C-Webb got that 10 yr exile from Ann Arbor.

Mitch Albom is a pretty credible dude, and what he said got me thinkin'.

Nonetheless,  that's a damn shame that C-Webb got that 10 yr exile from Ann Arbor.

laugh.gif
 @ how they went from being sad about C-Webb calling the T.O, to straight up bashing him about the scandal.

laugh.gif
 @ how they went from being sad about C-Webb calling the T.O, to straight up bashing him about the scandal.

Back
Top Bottom