ESPN's what does Kobe have to do to surpass MJ?

Originally Posted by BC2310

Kobe's team lost a deciding NBA Finals game by 39 points

Mike's team never lost a finals appearance

Kobe will never surpass
Funny how the word 'team' plays a big part in your argument.

Originally Posted by Pill Clinton

I think people mistake ACCOMPLISHMENTS with pure SKILL.

MJ has accomplished much more than Kobe has, not arguing that.
But its like a rapper who sells millions and millions of records, does that make him the greatest rapper of all time? No, it doesn't.

Kobe Bryant has assets to his game that are BETTER than Michael Jordans...Mike might have rings, but we're talking about skill here. Kobe > Michael Jordan.

Better shooter, better scorer, better footwork, better ball-handling, etc.

I'm going to get a million stone faces, but i don't care. I'm not just a biased Laker/Kobe fan either. This is coming from a basketball fan. When it is all said and done, kobe bryant will be the greatest basketball player of all time.

Kobe > MJ

istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

*puts on flame suit*

How old are you son?
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Do the universe a favor by buying all the Jordan and Bulls vids that you can.

Unbiased fan? Your freakin sig says it all.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

What's funny is that even if Kobe WAS better than MJ, all the MJ stans/worshippers would still defend him and come up with reasons why he is the greatest. I don't think Kobe is better than MJ, but I guarandamntee if somebody comes along in the next few years and wins 8 chips and a bazillion scoring titles and averages 35 ppg for his career, people would STILL find a way to discredit him and say that MJ is better because of the global icon and media creation that Jordan was. The only thing as bad as Kobe stans is MJ stans.
That's exactly how I feel. I really think some people feel like Mike really is GOD so they feel the need to worship him every chance they get.

Originally Posted by Seven30

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

What's funny is that even if Kobe WAS better than MJ, all the MJ stans/worshippers would still defend him and come up with reasons why he is the greatest. I don't think Kobe is better than MJ, but I guarandamntee if somebody comes along in the next few years and wins 8 chips and a bazillion scoring titles and averages 35 ppg for his career, people would STILL find a way to discredit him and say that MJ is better because of the global icon and media creation that Jordan was. The only thing as bad as Kobe stans is MJ stans.
That's exactly how I feel. I really think some people feel like Mike really is GOD so they feel the need to worship him every chance they get.

Very good point, but I think another issue that will come up with this is the generational gap. If someone like Lebron ends up doing the things you described,or a guy 10 years later, he is automatically in the eyes of the younger crowd going to be the greatest because MJ isn't so fresh in their minds, if at all.The reason why most of us (us being the age group generally found on NT) will say MJ without hesitation is because we still know what it was that he did, notfrom stats, but because we saw it. It's easy for us to say MJ > Kobe, because we saw both.

Ask our parents and grandparents and the majority will give you a different name. Be it Magic, Wilt, Kareem, someone...

Originally Posted by Si3xers55

this is such BS cuz u cant say that hell never be better than jordan...wut if he averages 50pts 10assists and 10 rebounds for the rest of his career?? and wins 4 more championships? i hate ignorant people that just assume michael jordan is the best that will ever play the game of basketball
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif

Let's wager on this. i'll give you +10000000000 moneyline he'll never even touch 40, 8 and 8 for one year. I'll forget the fact that you saidover the rest of his career.

There are eight players however, that I don't think you can make any argument for Kobe being better than based on career accomplishments: Duncan, Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Shaq, Bird, Magic and most assuredly Michael Jeffrey Jordan

That was the only thing worth reading in that rant. Even then, it's not like Duncan had Smush Parker at the point and Brian Cook as his 6th man so whoknows where Kobe's personal accomplishments would be if the Lakers didn't have to go through a rebuilding period. If we give Wilt the benefit of thedoubt for losing against Russell, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and others should be on that list of player ahead of Kobe too. IMO, MJ, Magic, Kareem, and Russellare at the top by themselves. I'd place Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, and Bird in the next group even though I feel like the first name doesn't fit, but I chalkthat up to a personal dislike of the guy.

Again, it can't just be the accomplishments because even if Kobe had those, just looking at the two play makes you believe that MJ is better. Then again,there is a shift in the game that isn't based on stats. Kobe seems to play guys that for the most part seem to be his size or bigger. MJ was to his NBA asLeBron is to this NBA.

In the end, all most people should care about is where their team places and in that regard, it's best to be a fan of the Lakers
smile.gif

5am6oody72:
What's funny is that even if Kobe WAS better than MJ, all the MJ stans/worshippers would still defend him and come up with reasons why he is the greatest. I don't think Kobe is better than MJ, but I guarandamntee if somebody comes along in the next few years and wins 8 chips and a bazillion scoring titles and averages 35 ppg for his career, people would STILL find a way to discredit him and say that MJ is better because of the global icon and media creation that Jordan was.
Well you and I are definitely on opposite ends of this spectrum. I guarandamntee that if someone came along and averaged 35ppg on his way to 8championships, people would acknowledge... IN LARGE NUMBERS, people would acknowledge... that that guy was/is the nextJordan. No question about it. I mean, ESPN has been dying to throw the title on Kobe and now LeBron, and they fall short of Jordan's accomplishments in somany ways. Let a guy come along that actually won 8 titles while averaging 35 per (and you'd have to figure he won a few ASG MVPs as well along with reg.season MVPs, scoring titles, and Finals MVPs); ESPN and the sports world as we know it would forget all about an MJ.
5am6oody72:
The only thing as bad as Kobe stans is MJ stans.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Kobe will never surpass

And? The word team comes into play because basketball is a team sport not an individual sport, Kobe is the best player in the game right now, Michael is theG.O.A.T.

Funny how Kobe should have 5 rings... Not hating just saying
Funny how They have both been to the finals 6x: Michaels record 24-11, Kobes record 19-11

If Michael was on a team with Shaq and Phil was coaching does anyone think they would've lost to the 03-04 Pistons (Great Squad) 4-1?
It's a rhetorical question, if you think they would've lost how did Wade and Shaq beat them a year later?

Originally Posted by Three6mafia2007

I would like to know as well.Offensively it's debatable, but defensively kobe was far more superior. there is no comparison
No he isn't.

Kobe is not an elite defensive player, he never was and never will be he is a good defender when he feels like playing it, but like I have said many timesbefore you DON'T get credit for playing defense sometimes. You get lauded for playing it every possession. Thesame goes for T-Mac he is can be a good defender when he wants to be. Comparatively it's a wash they both spent large amounts of time resting on defense,this is undeniable so to call either of them great defenders would be silly.

T-mac from 2000-2003 matches up with some of the all time greats, specifically 02-03 which is one of the greatest single individual seasons in NBA history andbetter than any of Kobe Bryant's seasons.

Just enjoy. I was lucky to be old enough to appreciate MJ and now I am enjoying Kobe's skill set as well. Just enjoy and thank the basketball Gods thatgave us 2 of the greatest players in our life time. Let MJ do MJ and KB do KB......

i just find it funny that some of you guys think jordan was some panacea for any team. like he didn't have ANY flaws.
some of you saying "jordan wouldn't let his team lose by this much, jordan wouldn't lose that series, etc"
how do YOU know?

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

i just find it funny that some of you guys think jordan was some panacea for any team. like he didn't have ANY flaws.
some of you saying "jordan wouldn't let his team lose by this much, jordan wouldn't lose that series, etc"
how do YOU know?

Because he didn't? *shrugs*

one player 7 year drought in between championships while the other won 6 in 7 years

imo its too late. Kobe is at his peak now,unless he goes ballistic in the next two/three years. he'll have to settle for a top 10/15 nomination

Edit: Also, MJ brought everything to the court every night on both end regardless of the skills of the opposing SG/PG , Kobe had a lot of "pointproving" moments
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
grin.gif

The ONLY way Kobe is ever gonna pass MJ in the minds of fans....is to go back in time and beat Jordan TWICE in the finals, with one sweep, averaging 65 15 and12 with 4 steals and 7 blocks a game AND he has to shoot over 80% from the field and 98% from the FT line. Oh and he can't go to the line more than 5 timesa game....or it'll be the refs fault.

^ Or... (on a more realistic level)... notch 8 more scoring titles, 4 more MVPs, 5 more Finals MVPs, and a DPOY.

I'm positive that would do it.

I'm also positive that nothing short of that will do it.

I don't even bother with the Kobe Jordan thing because I grew up with Jordan and I know I won't play fair so I no longer care. I am just glad Kobe ison the squad I support.

But I do wnat know what T-mac did better then Kobe skill wise from 2000-2003.

Xtapolapacetl please explain that.

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:

T-mac from 2000-2003 matches up with some of the all time greats, specifically 02-03 which is one of the greatest single individual seasons in NBA history and better than any of Kobe Bryant's seasons.

smh.gif

If things like this keep getting said, this thread will go downhill real fast.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Kobe will never surpass

And? The word team comes into play because basketball is a team sport not an individual sport, Kobe is the best player in the game right now, Michael is the G.O.A.T.

Funny how Kobe should have 5 rings... Not hating just saying
Funny how They have both been to the finals 6x: Michaels record 24-11, Kobes record 19-11

If Michael was on a team with Shaq and Phil was coaching does anyone think they would've lost to the 03-04 Pistons (Great Squad) 4-1?
It's a rhetorical question, if you think they would've lost how did Wade and Shaq beat them a year later?
First of all, winning championships is a team accomplishment, not an individual one. It doesn't make Charles Barkley any worse of a playerbecause he doesn't have a ring.

That's a hypothetical situation and it's very well possible that the Lakers could have lost with Jordan replacing Kobe. But you never know. Jordannever had a dominant post player on the offensive end so who knows how he would play with Shaq in the paint. Jordan also never played with a disgruntled pointguard or a very skilled power forward hobbling on one leg.

I'm not defending Kobe because I really don't care who thinks who is better; it doesn't matter to me. I think it's flawed to believe that justbecause Jordan is on a team that he's going to MAKE his team win. That's not possible.

Focus on the individual accomplishments and attributes, not the team ones.

nobody is gonna surpass MJ, and if there was anybody, it'll be lebron and even he most likely won't.

1) u need to average 50%fg for your career (a tough task for any perimeter player nowadays, and kobe hasn't even sniffed it)
2) win 6 championships as THE MAIN GUY. kobe will never do that
3) win 6 finals MVPs. kobe will never do that
4) win 5 MVPs. kobe will never do that.
5) win the finals everytime you're in it (kobe failed twice already, 4 for 6)
6) break jordan's stats. kobe will never do that.
7) and there's a lot more

nobody will beat MJ most likely. he has set the bar WAY TOO HIGH.

Back
Top Bottom