Ex-referee Tim Donaghy blows whistle on NBA dirty secrets

the nba fixed the pistons-lakers finals in 04 because they wanted to see kobe and shaq separate
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

*waits for WILLINC to come and and cry blasphemy* Guess we can add a * next to Miami's 2006 title too. So far we got Lakers 2002* and Heat 2006* what other series can yall think of?

Bulls 1998
nerd.gif

Knicks vs Pacers 1999
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
maybe
laugh.gif

O.K. If all this is true, why have there been so many low-rated finals in recent years. Take 2007 for example: If Stern is really manipulating things justto increase ratings and get the league more money, how to you explain what happened in the Phoenix - San Antonio series last year. Not that Phoenix is a majormarket like L.A. or N.Y., but I can guarantee you that Phoenix would have been a better draw in the finals than San Antonio. Still, San Antonio won and wenton to participate in one of the lowest rated finals ever.

Sorry. I recognize that I seem to be in the minority, but I'm just not quite ready to buy what Donaghy is selling yet.

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Jeez, I make one post questioning this dude's credibility and everyone jumps down my throat.
laugh.gif

Seems like y'all were just waiting on any ounce of "proof" that the NBA fixes games to pounce on.

And again, I'm not saying he's lying, I'm just saying we have to remember who this info is coming from. I don't see what makes him so believable.

That's just me, though.

I'm sure he's under oath when saying these things. By law, aren't we to believe everything said under oath is truth, unless proven otherwise?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Why's everyone believing this guy? He's got everything to gain. A lot of the time people in his situation exaggerate things or flat out make things up to save their own necks.

But if this is all true
smh.gif

Sounds a lot like this guy named Canseco. How'd that turn out for the MLB?
What's so stupid is that Stern and other execs had to know Donaghy knew what was going on. I would have gone to every extent possible to get him to shut his mouth. This is going to be hilarious when things really start coming to fruition. The government will definitely get involved.
Joka, U already know about people in power.
They get so big that they figure no matter what is aimed at them, it will not reach them.
Im quite sure Stern and whoever else figured," No one's going to believe a word Mcnamee is saying."

HTTB, what makes him incredulous????
the fact that he gambled on basketball???

laugh.gif

Here's what I think happened:
1. Donaghy becomes NBA referee.
2. Stumbles upon plan to conspire to have certain teams win and playoff series extended.
3. Is upset that he isn't one of the confidence men.
4. Decides to become a "rogue" official and fix games himself.

Obviously all refs can't be involved in a scheme like this. You get a few that have been around for awhile that you know are loyal. Throw them in theimportant situations and have them fix the games.

GUNNA, I'm just saying that in situations like this, informants are inclined to exaggerate in order to save their own $$%. It may not always work, but alot of the time they think it can help.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

O.K. If all this is true, why have there been so many low-rated finals in recent years.

You can't fix all the games, nor can you do it every year. Think about it. If you had a major market team in the finals every year, would that not looksuspicious?

laugh.gif
The Mavs were up 13 with 6 mins to go to in game 3.They close out the rest of that quarter with just a couple of shots made, and that pretty much ends series as no as ever came back from a 3-0 lead.

Instead, this occurs:

They completly choked it, and it was obvious as it could be.

There's no concrete evidence to bring down the league. We will be questioning this league for however long it remains and they know we'll continue towatch it like suckas.
laugh.gif

for the time being......
laugh.gif

2002 lakers*
indifferent.gif

i'll change it when the league steps in and proves its innocents

Originally Posted by NYK orange and blue

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

*waits for WILLINC to come and and cry blasphemy* Guess we can add a * next to Miami's 2006 title too. So far we got Lakers 2002* and Heat 2006* what other series can yall think of?

Bulls 1998
nerd.gif

Knicks vs Pacers 1999
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
maybe
laugh.gif
lakers vs portland anyone?
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MJDaLegend

There's no concrete evidence to bring down the league. We will be questioning this league for however long it remains and they know we'll continue to watch it like suckas.
laugh.gif

Sad, but true.

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

The league is stupid if they do fix games. The league doesn't need to be fixed to be entertaining.
It's not done to be more entertaining. Stern would rather have a mediocre 7-game finals rather than an exciting sweep. $$$$$$$

I don't understand why Lakers fans complain so much about referees when they are the ones on the upside of reffing most of the time.

Who's to say the Lakers would even be in the finals had the refs called what the NBA admitted to being a blantant foul on Derek Fisher. Such short memoryyou guys have. (End of game 1 of that series was very suspect as well)

With that being said, I can believe the star player thing, but I do not think the NBA is fixed. If it is it is in very minute way so "fixed"wouldn't be the right word. You guys are just looking for reasons to justify your team losing rather than blaming your team yourself.

Don't you think that over the thousands of calls made in NBA playoffs history questionable ones happen. I think if in the past 10 years there's been 8questionable game deciding calls that's right on par with the probability of human error. Referees aren't robots.

Originally Posted by NYK orange and blue

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

Hmmmm.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
I betcha if he wasn't MJ and this was like a regular playoff game, he would have been called for an offensive foul for shoving Bryon Russell to the floor

and for 1999, I gotta admit, Larry Johnson's 4 point play was a phantom foul
eek.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

Who is that sitting on the wing? Scottie? Shoulda kicked out for the 3.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

I'm just playing. MJ still the man regardless if that play was questionable.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

I don't understand why Lakers fans complain so much about referees when they are the ones on the upside of reffing most of the time. Who's to say the Lakers would even be in the finals had the refs called what the NBA admitted to being a blantant foul on Derek Fisher. Such short memory you guys have. (End of game 1 of that series was very suspect as well) With that being said, I can believe the star player thing, but I do not think the NBA is fixed. If it is it is in very minute way so "fixed" wouldn't be the right word. You guys are just looking for reasons to justify your team losing rather than blaming your team yourself.

Don't you think that over the thousands of calls made in NBA playoffs history questionable ones happen. I think if in the past 10 years there's been 8 questionable game deciding calls that's right on par with the probability of human error.

WTH?

Did you read most of this thread? Majority of the Laker fans posting, including myself are disgusted with the fact of game 6 being fixed back in 02.

1. I know ska's gonna have about 4 paragraphs worth of stuff to say. I'll be waiting on that post.
laugh.gif

2. I feel what HTTB is saying, though. He's not saying the guy is CLEARLY lying, but others in his position have been known to save their own neck andtrying to get a lesser sentence by saying a whole lot of stuff, which could or could not be true. Donaghy could very well be saying the truth and there'scertain NBA games in the past that have that "fixed" stench on them...but some of you need to let everything come to light. Don't put a stake inthe NBA's heart yet. Like Gunna said earlier, if one more RELIABLE source comes through (with that person not having any outside interests or influences,he/she is completely unbiased) and backs up Donaghy's statement, plus adds on top of them...........then the NBA is #%$@#%. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

I don't understand why Lakers fans complain so much about referees when they are the ones on the upside of reffing most of the time. Who's to say the Lakers would even be in the finals had the refs called what the NBA admitted to being a blantant foul on Derek Fisher. Such short memory you guys have. (End of game 1 of that series was very suspect as well) With that being said, I can believe the star player thing, but I do not think the NBA is fixed. If it is it is in very minute way so "fixed" wouldn't be the right word. You guys are just looking for reasons to justify your team losing rather than blaming your team yourself.

Don't you think that over the thousands of calls made in NBA playoffs history questionable ones happen. I think if in the past 10 years there's been 8 questionable game deciding calls that's right on par with the probability of human error.
You're so right, like the missed shot clock violation, or the missed goaltending call, or the 3 that wasn't, or the Vlad/Tim Duncan 10 step. We totally forgot all those to bring up just the one bad call huh? Such a short memory you have.

Back
Top Bottom