Ex-referee Tim Donaghy blows whistle on NBA dirty secrets

In all honesty that 2002 series made me lose all faith in the NBA and I haven't been a fan of the game since.

MLB > NBA.

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

So the only Game that went 7 that year was the Lakers/Kings....that was with the Robert Horry game winner right?

It was pretty obvious by the FT discrepancy in Game 6 what the refs were trying to do.

It can't be that series, since the refs gave game 5 to the kings

watch the last 10 seconds of game 5 and tell me I'm wrong

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by truthmain

In all honesty that 2002 series made me lose all faith in the NBA and I haven't been a fan of the game since.

MLB > NBA.
NHL is the best sport in terms of scandals, officials, and competitiveness in the game IMO

O.K. So everyone is bringing up the Miami-Dallas finals as an obvious fix. Can someone please explain to me how the benefits from dictating the winner of theNBA finals? Although I'm still not buying into the conspiracy theories, I can understand the motivation to manipulate the early rounds to get the teamsmost likely to get big ratings into the finals. But once the finals are set, what does it matter to the league who wins? What did the NBA gain by Miami winningthat it wouldn't have if Dallas won? Are you going to tell me that they were trying to create a superstar in Wade? Also, as for Donaghy, I'd find himmore credible if he fingered a game other than game 6 of the WCF. That was a controversial game when it happened and has been talked about by conspiracytheorists ever since. In other words, it's a little too easy to point to that one as a fix. If he brought up one that people never talked about, I wouldfind it more believable.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

O.K. So everyone is bringing up the Miami-Dallas finals as an obvious fix. Can someone please explain to me how the benefits from dictating the winner of the NBA finals? Although I'm still not buying into the conspiracy theories, I can understand the motivation to manipulate the early rounds to get the teams most likely to get big ratings into the finals. But once the finals are set, what does it matter to the league who wins? What did the NBA gain by Miami winning that it wouldn't have if Dallas won? Are you going to tell me that they were trying to create a superstar in Wade? Also, as for Donaghy, I'd find him more credible if he fingered a game other than game 6 of the WCF. That was a controversial game when it happened and has been talked about by conspiracy theorists ever since. In other words, it's a little too easy to point to that one as a fix. If he brought up one that people never talked about, I would find it more believable.

If that was the case, they succeeded. Wade is a huge marketable star now.
Why would he bring up a random game that no one cares about? Everyone wasalready talking about that series being fixed, and Tim just confirmed it.

the Lakers shot 27 fourth quarter free-throws
laugh.gif
that series had Kings and Lakers fans crazy up here on NT in 2002. that may be one of the mostheated threads ever in the sporting forum here on NT.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

So the only Game that went 7 that year was the Lakers/Kings....that was with the Robert Horry game winner right?

It was pretty obvious by the FT discrepancy in Game 6 what the refs were trying to do.

It can't be that series, since the refs gave game 5 to the kings

watch the last 10 seconds of game 5 and tell me I'm wrong

indifferent.gif

apparently you dont remember what happened after bibby made the game winning shot
indifferent.gif

27 4th quarter free throws = hack a shaq
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by lawdog1

O.K. So everyone is bringing up the Miami-Dallas finals as an obvious fix. Can someone please explain to me how the benefits from dictating the winner of the NBA finals? Although I'm still not buying into the conspiracy theories, I can understand the motivation to manipulate the early rounds to get the teams most likely to get big ratings into the finals. But once the finals are set, what does it matter to the league who wins? What did the NBA gain by Miami winning that it wouldn't have if Dallas won? Are you going to tell me that they were trying to create a superstar in Wade? Also, as for Donaghy, I'd find him more credible if he fingered a game other than game 6 of the WCF. That was a controversial game when it happened and has been talked about by conspiracy theorists ever since. In other words, it's a little too easy to point to that one as a fix. If he brought up one that people never talked about, I would find it more believable.

After Miami won, Wade became a marketable superstar for several companies. One of those companies happens to be T-Mobile. T-Mobile happens to be theofficial cellular sponsor of the NBA.

I'm just sayin...

does anybody think that the 98 series wit the bulls vs pacers was fixed to go to seven?

i remember alotta no calls that woulda helped the bulls

like when miller pushed off on mj for the last shot

can somebody post some stats or anything they rememeber

and tim donaghy stop snitchin
indifferent.gif

Not surprised at all. after watching a video of the foul summary in game 2, i was convinced that the "third team" had a lot to do with the games.
smh.gif

I lost a lot of respect for the NBA, but it's run by money and scandalous politics, so it's no surprise.

I don't understand how we have congress investigating steroids in MLB, spygate in the NFL, yet we have confirmed fixing of games in one of the three majorsports in the USA, and they feel the need to do nothing.
The two biggest conspiracys in the history of the world are going on right now - Gas prices increasing 40% per week, and NBA games being fixed, and congressdoes nothing about either of them.
What a joke.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

If another reliable source comes forward backing Donaghy's tales , the NBA is DONE!
smh.gif

If refs are called to the stand to testify under oath, it's a wrap for the league.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by pkballr

2chuq9e.jpg

*WHISTLE* Foul on ten, black!
if you wanna get technical BIBBY held him first....

That's nothing. Watch any inbounds play late in an NBA game and see how much holding occurs. There's no excuse for a high elbow. Hell, Kobe holdsmore on late game plays than anyone else in the league.

it's entertainment like rasheed said

doesn't matter, i rarely see a well officiated game

but knowing that it may be predetermined on what team should win or in the best interest of the nba is just disgusting

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few NBA officials turn out to be crooked. The level of officiating is at an all time low and down right embarrasing. Ihope action is taken because this will ultimately damage the game of basketball.

[h1]Ailene Voisin: After probe, we all wonder[/h1][h3]By Ailene Voisin - Bee Columnist[/h3]
Last Updated 6:13 am PDT Sunday, July 29, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (29) |

I was in the building five years ago, seated behind the baseline, chronicling every rebound, turnover, field goal, assist, missed free throw, blownwhistle.

It was the game everyone remembers -- Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals between the Kings and Lakers at Staples Center -- the one that infuriatedmany and mystified others, the officiating so one-sided that consumer advocate Ralph Nader demanded an investigation.

At the time, I merely considered it a travesty, and the worst-officiated NBA playoff game ever. My column that night was a rip job on the refs -- a first inmy 21 years of covering the NBA. I thought Kings coach Rick Adelman was remarkably composed while providing a biting postgame critique. I recorded Lakers coachPhil Jackson's too-coy comments and watched him struggle to keep a straight face. I rolled my eyes at Kobe Bryant and was greeted with knowing laughter.

But what did we really know?

We know the refs stunk.

We know the Kings were the better team, that Vlade Divac, Scot Pollard and Mike Bibby were victimized by a series of phantom fouls, and that the free-throwdisparity in the fourth quarter was indefensible. The numbers still don't add up: The Lakers attempted 27 free throws in the deciding period while theKings, the aggressors throughout the best-of-seven series, were rewarded with an underwhelming nine.

Upon reflection and further review, and two recent evenings spent viewing the game tape, not much has changed.

The refs still stunk.

The Kings were still the better team.

There are still no excuses for not winning the seventh game at Arco Arena, for allowing the horrific officiating by Bob Delaney and Ted Bernhardt (and veryfew of the mistakes in Game 6 are attributable to crew chief !%%% Bavetta, by the way) to mess with their minds. There is no ignoring Adelman's failure torecapture his players' focus, channeling their anger at the Lakers, beginning with the opening tip. There is no forgetting the mental hangover in thelocker room before the final game, the whining and what-ifs.

Tim Donaghy, the veteran ref under investigation for allegedly betting on games he officiated, was nowhere near the premises for Games 6 or 7 -- andisn't NBA Commissioner David Stern relieved about that?

Except that now, whenever placing a game tape in the VCR, Donaghy is the ghost in the machine. Every questionable call becomes suspicious. Fan interestcould well reach record highs next season for all the wrong (scandalous) reasons. Convincing the public that the competition is legitimate will take years, notmonths -- and that's assuming Donaghy's actions indeed were those of a rogue ref.

Sacramento fans might prove to be the league's 2007-08 litmus test, in this sense: Since the Donaghy scandal broke, Game 6 has been a featured segmentof the national discussion. It won't go away. Maybe, it shouldn't.

"When that stuff started coming out about (Donaghy), the first thing I heard from people down here was: 'Oh, my goodness. I wonder what they'resaying today in Sacramento?' " related Los Angeles Times columnist Bill Plaschke. "Everybody knows the Lakers weren't the best team thatseries. Die-hard Lakers fans won't admit it publicly, but deep down, they know something was very wrong with that game."

Outside the L.A. area, the assessment of the officiating that night is almost universal. As Jack McCallum of Sports Illustrated wrote on June 5, 2002:"League officials do not gather refs in a room and instruct them about which team they want to win. ... The league has more integrity than that. However,Game 6 of the Kings-Lakers series was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen."

During that night's network telecast, announcers Marv Albert, Steve Jones and Bill Walton repeatedly referenced the questionable officiating. Jonesnoted that the Kings were "going to have to work through tough officiating," and at one point early in the fourth, after Pollard had been called forconsecutive fouls -- one for an alleged moving screen, the other for breathing on Shaquille O'Neal as the Lakers center spun into the lane -- anexasperated Walton blurted, "That's not a foul, I'm sorry."

With both Divac and Pollard on the bench with six fouls, the all-too-fitting finale featured a sequence in which Bryant, while trying to free himself forthe inbound pass, shoved and elbowed Bibby, knocking him to the ground. Delaney, who was positioned on the baseline in front of the play, called the astonishedBibby for the foul, denying the Kings an opportunity for the tying basket.

So I'll say it again. The refs stunk. The officiating was a travesty. The Kings wuz robbed. Until further notice, that's what I believe.

But this Donaghy character makes you wonder. He makes us all wonder.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/297829.html

yeah it seems like basketball is nuttin more than false entertainment SOMETIMES and i really dont get passionate about games like i used to...
lakers all day

I wasn't on NT during the Kings/lakers series but I couldn't believe how horrible that game 6 was. I remember spitting out my drink when Bibby wascalled for that foul.

so if all of Donaghy's reports are confirmed true, what do you think will happen to the league? would you guys still watch the NBA?

Back
Top Bottom