FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

"Har gow"

Way too much damn work. Leave it out at room temp until it's tempered sear and oven. It's just food.
Not a lot of work at all.

Season
Bake
Sear

How is that a lot of work?

Just over complicated.

Set steak on counter for one hour. That way it is warm in the middle and gets juicy.

Set in oven at 400 or so. It doesn't really matter.

Sear in a cast iron pan and put it in the oven. Done in 15 minutes with one messy pan.

Yeah it works as good as anything. For oven time I'd say like 5 minutes. I really never timed it. But it will have a little resistance but not much if you push in it. Like you're pushing on your nose for medium rare.

Anaheim Packing District
The Attic Long Beach
San Pedro Fish Market
Busy Bees San Pedro (subs)

Newport Seafood in San Gabriel on Las Tunas. Bring your fightin gloves too cause that place is a madhouse. I may be reaching here, but one of the best dishes on the menu are their pea sprouts. I know its just pea sprouts, some garlic, and salt, but damn its spot on.

thanks guys :smokin and repped

Last edited:
Sisig Surprise and Sisig Fries frm Toast Deli in Daly City, CA

Chriashi Bowl frm Kansai in Berkeley, CA

Andrew Luck frm Ikes Place in Walnut Creek, CA

Lechon Kawali frm a family party

Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese frm Homeroom in Oakland, CA

Il be in Portland next week (downtown) and was wondering if voodoo donuts worth going to? Also what are some good bars or craft beers to try out there

Took a day trip to the bay, just arrived. Anyone have any favorite spots here in the city that I should try?

recent study  from Boston University and Abraxis LLC, found glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide, present in honey. The study found that both conventional and organic honey contained glyphosate, specifically 62 percent of conventional honey and 45 percent of organic honey. 

Two issues could be causing the contamination of organic honey. First, a single honey bee will travel six miles to find nectar so it’s nearly impossible to avoid all pesticides. Additionally, beekeepers use pesticides to control Varroa mites in beehives. The mites are a parasite that attacks honeybees and can cause disease. When organic beekeepers buy commercially available wax for their hives, it could be contaminated with pesticides. Even though organic beekeepers can’t directly treat their beehives with pesticides. 

According to Scientific American:

To survive a year, a single colony brings in about 250 pounds of nectar- an astounding weight for a small insect. It’s not as though individual flowers are generous with nectar, either. Most yield just the smallest of droplets. A standard jar of honey from the supermarket requires bees to make a million flower visits.

(Bob Peterson, CC BY 2.0)

The widespread use of pesticides like Roundup  makes it’s even more likely that glyphosate will make its way into honey. It should be noted that countries where GM crops were permitted had higher levels of glyphosate in their honey. 

Again, Scientific American:

Organic honey isn’t impossible. It’s just beyond of the ability of most beekeepers. Bee yards situated in isolated spots deep in the Adirondacks, or mountain valleys in sparsely-populated New Mexico, can probably pull off honey free of agrochemicals. Most beekeepers operate within a bee’s flight of pesticides, however, making “organic” honey an illusory proposition.

Because of this, it’s hard for honey to avoid traces of pesticides. But organic honey still contains less pesticides than conventional honey, so it’s worth the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom