FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

For those that dont like food waste. Great app.

Anybody else know of this? My man just texted this to me.

"
Have you ever heard of an app called "too good to go"?

Basically, stores sell you food that they would otherwise throw away at a discounted rate at the end of the day.

The idea is that you are helping to end food waste"

77BE0D51-BB3A-42DC-91A1-CF38312E37ED.jpeg

Nothing wrong with a thermometer.

I don’t know how people cook without one - I’ve said it before that you’re either playing roulette or leaving things in longer “just to be sure” - so you end up with eg dry chicken.

Cooking isn’t that difficult - it’s just time and temperature, but if you don’t know the temperature it becomes much more difficult to get good and consistent food.

I only use one when cooking something big like a Turkey. If you need to use one on a tiny piece of meat you probably dont know how to cook. If youre going for a medium rare rib eye you should probably just cook it on each side for a few mins on high heat. I like my steak medium though.

I don’t use one for small stuff either or steak but I also cooked for a living for years so I’m used to it and I used to use one when I was new.

For the big stuff I always use one. It’s better to use one than waste money.

Imma use a thermometer for my prime rib roast this year for Christmas. And maybe a tri tip roast once I get the jawn.

But for regular steaks, chicken, burgers, etc?.. nah b.

If you can’t grill / cook that stuff to somewhat accuracy without a thermometer, you shouldn’t be cooking it for others yet. You’re still learning how to cook it IMO.

Imma use a thermometer for my prime rib roast this year for Christmas. And maybe a tri tip roast once I get the jawn.

But for regular steaks, chicken, burgers, etc?.. nah b.

If you can’t grill / cook that stuff to somewhat accuracy without a thermometer, you shouldn’t be cooking it for others yet. You’re still learning how to cook it IMO.

You know there are professional grill masters that use thermometers right?

Not even trying to argue but why is using a cooking tool evidence of the lack of knowledge/skill?

You know there are professional grill masters that use thermometers right?

Not even trying to argue but why is using a cooking tool evidence of the lack of knowledge/skill?
That’s because they are professionals b. They have 0 room for error, by necessity. They have a reputation as so much else to worry about other than cooking to the correct doneness.

John Blicky at home doesn’t NEED his burgers at a perfect degree medium well or his reputation is on the line. Thus why I said if you can cook your meats to a relatively close doneness based on you preference, that should be all you need.

If I pulled up to a backyard bbq and some duke pulled out a little thermometer for his burgers I’d probably sad face that like you sad face my posts.

You’re all going to Hell for making fun of that Last Supper pic. Pray to the Lord for forgiveness.

If I pulled up to a backyard bbq and some duke pulled out a little thermometer for his burgers I’d probably sad face that like you sad face my posts.

Interesting because I think the exact opposite.

I would look at it as someone taking the time to ensure they aren't using guesswork. It would be a positive and they were in fact someone that knew what they are doing.

Last edited:
That’s because they are professionals b. They have 0 room for error, by necessity. They have a reputation as so much else to worry about other than cooking to the correct doneness.

John Blicky at home doesn’t NEED his burgers at a perfect degree medium well or his reputation is on the line. Thus why I said if you can cook your meats to a relatively close doneness based on you preference, that should be all you need.

:lol:

Honestly, I am more critical of people that use lighter fluid. When I see THOSE folks, I question their fire manipulation ability than someone that uses a tool meant to measure the doneness of food.

'If you can't play basketball without shoes, basketball ain't really your sport. Yeah professionals wear kicks but that's because they got 0 room for error. But just regular folks meeting up and hooping? Nah, you should be good enough in that situation to get it done without silly shoes.'

Scorching hot take. My thermometer reads 180 on that one; SCORCHING hot.

-foe

'If you can't play basketball without shoes, basketball ain't really your sport. Yeah professionals wear kicks but that's because they got 0 room for error. But just regular folks meeting up and hooping? Nah, you should be good enough in that situation to get it done without silly shoes.'

Scorching hot take. My thermometer reads 180 on that one; SCORCHING hot.

-foe
Makes 0 sense as a comparison.

I thought about it earlier and went with this-

A person grilling steaks or burgers with a thermometer would be like bowling with the rails up. It helps you and guides you but in reality you shouldn’t need them to hit the damn pins. Rails show a sign of inefficiency and you learning how to throw the bowling ball and hit the pins when doing so.

However, if pro bowlers were allowed to use rails I’m sure you’d see every pro bowler using rails because it would make things immensely easier for you as a professional who shouldn’t ever hit a gutter ball.

During a trip to Montreal, U.S. bookseller Steven Elliot decided to troll the downtown looking for a local take on one of his favourite foods, the medium-rare hamburger. Yet in every brasserie, pub and bistro, no matter how many winks and nods he offered, Mr. Elliot was always met with the same reaction: Blank stares, confusion or “we don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said. Mr. Elliot had just experienced the culture shock of any U.S. burger lover who crosses into Canada. In the daily words of servers across the country: “Medium-rare hamburgers are illegal in Canada.”

Canadians will pair their martinis with a plate of raw oysters, load up their plates with cheap sushi and tuck into a steak served Chicago rare – but the pink, medium-rare hamburger remains strictly taboo. Once a staple of Canadian cuisine, for about 40 years a hamburger served anything less than well done has remained a delicacy enjoyed only in a handful of brave establishments and on trips south of the border. It is targeted by health inspectors, feared by restaurant owners and scorned by the public, but the long-misunderstood pink burger may not be nearly as dangerous as we all thought.

mplsdunk mplsdunk

Back
Top Bottom