FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Tommy’s Bbq. Brisket, ribs, and links, baked beans, potato salad, & coleslaw.
825B7B45-654D-46BB-9A33-F90B9DDE8A6C.jpeg
817B55A6-6D7E-45CC-85BB-0A6D120937DA.jpeg

Last edited:

During a trip to Montreal, U.S. bookseller Steven Elliot decided to troll the downtown looking for a local take on one of his favourite foods, the medium-rare hamburger. Yet in every brasserie, pub and bistro, no matter how many winks and nods he offered, Mr. Elliot was always met with the same reaction: Blank stares, confusion or “we don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said. Mr. Elliot had just experienced the culture shock of any U.S. burger lover who crosses into Canada. In the daily words of servers across the country: “Medium-rare hamburgers are illegal in Canada.”

Canadians will pair their martinis with a plate of raw oysters, load up their plates with cheap sushi and tuck into a steak served Chicago rare – but the pink, medium-rare hamburger remains strictly taboo. Once a staple of Canadian cuisine, for about 40 years a hamburger served anything less than well done has remained a delicacy enjoyed only in a handful of brave establishments and on trips south of the border. It is targeted by health inspectors, feared by restaurant owners and scorned by the public, but the long-misunderstood pink burger may not be nearly as dangerous as we all thought.

mplsdunk mplsdunk

I don’t think it’s dangerous and it’s not illegal here but nobody wants those thick burgers anymore.

It’s all double patty thin ones and cooking one of them mid rare wouldn’t be good.

Imagine going to in n out and asking for it mid rare. :lol:

A person grilling steaks or burgers with a thermometer would be like bowling with the rails up. It helps you and guides you but in reality you shouldn’t need them
Naaaah. Gutters were put in place to make the game more difficult. Bumpers are put up to avoid something that was intentionally put in place to make the game more difficult so that now the game is more easy for kids and amateurs. That actually doesn't work as a comparison because raw meat was not put into place to make cooking more difficult.

No matter what the comparison is, the bottom line is that a thermometer is a tool and you think it's a weakness. Another comparison would be side view mirrors on a car. "I drive so good I don't need mirrors. Honestly, I wouldn't drive with someone who needed mirrors. What is this, amateur hour? A good driver shouldn't need mirrors."

It's a tool that you're painting as a weakness.

-foe

That first comparison was god awful.

But what I said earlier still stands. If you need a thermometer to properly cook a ribeye then you just cant cook. Follow some recipes online, watch youtube, or continue to **** em up with trial and error. Better off just cutting into it, but what do I know...

yeah, I don't need it.

if you do though that's fine. better than some dry chicken because the cook didn't think it was done. :sick:

foe if you use meat thermometers just say that famb

I’ll like your posts regardless you know I got you
Again, you're painting something as a weakness when it's really a tool. No one should be 'admitting' that they use thermometers, because that's not something to be ashamed of, which are things that we admit. We admit things that we are ashamed of.
I admit I use a meat thermometer.
I admit I use a hammer.
I admit I use side view mirrors.
I admit I use a watch.

It takes a certain level of false pride to think that tools show incompetence. 🤷‍♂️

-foe

If you need a thermometer to properly cook a ribeye then you just cant cook. Follow some recipes online, watch youtube, or continue to **** em up with trial and error. Better off just cutting into it, but what do I know...
Wayminit, between the option of using a thermometer on a ribeye or cutting it open, you're saying the better option is to cut it open?

I can't with you all right now.

-foe

I only use thermometers on thicker cuts and things like Beef Wellington, rack of lamb, prime rib, etc.

If the steak is 2.5" thick or less I'm just gauging by firmness, and I feel like that's a skill you should have if you're cooking steaks with any sort of regularity.

Never used a thermometer in my life

But if you need it why not

Ramsay is usually spot on - but he's wrong on this one. There's no way to check that chicken is safe without knowing how warm the inside is. Sure with a consistent oven and practice you'll get it - but that's trial and error and you can't do that as a one off.

In all fairness, if you've cooked enough to get on He’ll’s Kitchen you should have enough practice to know what a fully-cooked chicken breast feels like.

Last edited:
Ramsay is usually spot on - but he's wrong on this one. There's no way to check that chicken is safe without knowing how warm the inside is. Sure with a consistent oven and practice you'll get it - but that's trial and error and you can't do that as a one off.
No he’s right in this situation. It’s a pro kitchen setting, an open kitchen ran as a French brigade at that. If I see that as a paying customer in a restaurant I’m second guessing that restaurant even if the food was good. as a chef with experience they should know their temperatures. At home it’s whatever

Last edited:
If you've been cooking for years and years there's no need for a thermometer. You should be able to tell by now if and how a meat is cooked
Same thing with driving. I've been driving since I was a teenager and I don't use my speedometer anymore.

That's been shown to be not true - I've seen a couple of examples of it in life - one is the one you gave, drivers estimating their speed with the speedo hidden, and the other is professional mechanics saying they know how tight a bolt is without a torque wrench - and when it's been tested they've been miles off.

I haven't seen a food temperate version, but it's probably around.

Back
Top Bottom