FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Ended up making reservations to Suraya and Talula’s Garden for dinner.

Gonna try to make Angelo’s my first stop for a hoagie and a cheesesteak. Reading Terminal Market is definitely gonna be a stop as well at some point.

I’ll try to fill some of the gaps with other recommendations I’ve been given.

Thank you to everyone that threw out suggestions.
Suraya and Zahav are on my list for my next Philly trip.

only if the 76ers will stop being bums & win a championship in the near future
Screenshot_20230607-112528.png

B Sox B Sox Comparison Ford Comparison Ford I have never been to Suraya or Laser Wolf but can vouch that Talula's Garden (Stephen Starr :smokin ) and Zahav are both great. Can't wait to hear what you guys think.

Out of curiosity, how far advance were you looking at Zahav that they were booked solid?

I'm in an airport just now (and they're grilling panini which smell really good!). Guy sitting opposite me just got a pie with mashed potatoes. He took the pastry lid off, filled it with ketchup and then ate that part with a spoon. Animal.

Going to Philly this weekend.

Lay da recommendations on me.
all the aforementioned rec's are pretty legit. I didn't see the bok building mentioned. Def check it out since it's in the heart of south philly and provides a unique experience. It's basically an old high school building that houses studios for artists and small businesses. It also has a rooftop bar (Bok Bar) great views, and restaurant (Irwin's Upstairs) intimate lil spot whose head chef I believe is a zahav disciple. Two Persons coffee is also in the building if you need to grab some espresso. If you're into coffee I pretty much can make a list on that alone just lmk lol

other food spots:
-Middle Child (their sandwiches are GOATED), they have the og location in CC but opened up a more diner like jawn in the fishtown neighborhood.
-Double Knot (good spot for dinner and date night vibes) is asian fusion-ish and also doubles as a cafe during the day. I'd rec doing a reservation for downstairs for dinner
-Dalessandro's if you're looking for a cheesesteak but tbh you can find a good one in most parts of the city. This spot is near the outskirts of the city in the upper northwest so might be out the way
-Love and Honey for chicken

random stuff:
-if you do make it to the art museum you can walk down over to the schuykill river trail. It's a nice path that connects back down to center city. You can also just set up and chill on the banks. I'd also recommend just taking a stroll down benjamin franklin parkway, it's a decent walk and seeing the design of the parkway intersecting city hall is pretty dope. You'll see the Rodin and Barnes foundation along the parkway, these museums are sometimes overlooked. You can pretty much keep walking till you hit city hall which is one of the better looking city hall's imo lol. you'll pretty much be back in the middle of center city at this point
-alternately, if you're on the other side of the city on the delaware river, there's a new trail that connects all the different piers and penn's landing that runs along the delaware. I believe cherry st. pier does some flea market/farmers market ish on the weekends
-if you make it out to south st I believe Totem (a clothing shop) is having a block party on saturday. also drop by p's and q's (another clothing shop and they're good folk) since they're on south st as well. Suplex is also on south st but I don't really f with consignment shops like that lol. If you're feeling snobby there's a spot on south st called woodrow's and they make a truffled whiz cheesesteak lol
-If you're shopping for clothing and shoes we also have Lapstone and Hammer and Atmos
-if you wanna do some random day drinking and chill they do this traveling parks thing. this weekend it's at the shofuso japanese garden near the plateau "where everybody goes" lol https://www.parksontap.com/locations

Just some random thoughts off top, hope you enjoy your stay and be safe out there!

Got a notification from Yelp about a place called Mango Mango Dessert. Checked it out earlier today. This is on Bell Blvd, Queens, NY. It's a Chinese dessert spot. I went with the double fromage cheesecake with durian fruit & the fresh banana smoothie.

My sis in law went with the strawberry Mango juice sago & lychee jelly w/Mango ice cream & some bubble tea.My cheesecake was ok the stinky durian fruit was interesting to say the least. My smoothie was fresh but nothing that stood out...it could easily be made at home. Glad I tried it but never again.
20230607_193655.jpg
20230607_193924.jpg
20230607_195902.jpg
20230607_195551.jpg
20230607_195908.jpg

Back
Top Bottom