FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Porkchop
Momofuku noodles
Red cabbage (I overcooked them)

IMG_7165.jpeg

I don’t get the appeal of that sort of stuff.

I’d rather have one good meal than wait around in lines all day for small bites of stuff. It’s a weird concept to me.

The big, 2-3 day ticketed events are almost always bad.

But things like smorgasborg mentioned above that happens on a routine schedule are pretty good

Went down a deep masa rabbit hole lately. Been tired of trash to ok at best tortillas

No one making good fresh ones out here like that

At a minimum will start pressing fresh ones myself using masa harina

But also considering trying to make masa from scratch which is…. a process :lol:

Looks like I'll be in Chicago for the first time in November. Just a couple days and I won't have a ton of time, but I'd like to hit up a pizza place and another 'You HAVE TO go here' spot.
Recommendations? 👀
Please & thanks.

Went down a deep masa rabbit hole lately. Been tired of trash to ok at best tortillas

But also considering trying to make masa from scratch which is…. a process :lol:
No but recently realized they're made different. Like some probably ratio it with something else.

New Lidl food market opened in my neighborhood recently. Some items I grabbed. I'm interested in tasting this blueberry goat cheese log, lets see what it's all about.
20240910_114530.jpg
20240910_123601.jpg

No but recently realized they're made different. Like some probably ratio it with something else.

It’s basically fresh masa vs masa that’s been dried out to form flour (masa harina) and then rehydrated

Most places making tortillas are just using mass produced masa harina. Can still be pretty good that way

But by far the best tortillas are from scratch the traditional way which is far more time consuming

The quality is pretty good so I think so. Works out to be about $2 per package. I rationalize it has a $2 quick meal.

The deep dish I’ve had has been good, but it’s still an inferior pizza style TO ME.

If I was in Chicago I’d gravitate towards tavern-style before deep dish.

not just to you

to our whole city lol

anyone from chi prefers tavern

with that said, deep dish is delicious too but its more of a once in a while thing

if we talking deep dish style Lou's, the Chicago classic on the menu specifically, is the one.

Looks like I'll be in Chicago for the first time in November. Just a couple days and I won't have a ton of time, but I'd like to hit up a pizza place and another 'You HAVE TO go here' spot.
Recommendations? 👀
Please & thanks.

which neighborhood is crucial info

Most Mexican grocery stores sell refrigerated tortilla masa.

The deep dish I’ve had has been good, but it’s still an inferior pizza style TO ME.

If I was in Chicago I’d gravitate towards tavern-style before deep dish.

I agree but tavern style is also fairly boring. I feel like if you've never had either deep dish is more worth the experience

Probably not worth going out of your way for either, though something like Lou's is pretty much everywhere

Recommendations? 👀
Please & thanks.
Lou Malnati's- Any location

Chicago River Tour- Take in the sights & sounds of the gorgeous Chicago River. This is one of my absolute favorite things to do in Chicago

Bang Bang Pies- 2051 N California Ave, Chicago, IL 60647. Delicious pies & comfort food. Some of the most delicious food I've had the pleasure of eating in Chicago

Pequod's pizza- Expect to wait an hour+ for your pizza to get to you

Doughnut Vault- 401 N Franklin St, Chicago, IL 60654. Delicious pillowy donuts, the Mexican chocolate one was insanely good

Shake Shack- 12 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60603. Try their cake shake

Ride Chicago's train called The Loop- "The Loop (historically Union Loop) is the 1.79-mile-long (2.88 km) circuit of elevated rail that forms the hub of the Chicago "L" system in the United States."

Navy Pier- 600 E Grand Ave, Chicago, IL 60611. It's the shoreline of Lake Michigan with waterfront activities & attractions.

Take a drive down on Lake Shore Drive. LSD is an iconic & scenic drive.
"A scenic expressway in Chicago, Illinois that runs along Lake Michigan's shoreline. It's known for its views of the city's skyline and major attractions, and is often called one of the most beautiful roadways in the country."

Epic Burger- 517 S State St, Chicago, IL 60605. Delicious burgers here of epic proportions.

The Bean- Originally known as Cloud Gate is a neat public sculpture that is the centerpiece of Grainger Plaza at Millennium Park in the Loop community area of Chicago. Makes for a cool photo op

Millenium Park- A very cool & hip greenspace that's well-known in Chicago

United Center- 1901 W Madison St, Chicago, IL 60612. Visit the arena the GOAT helped build :emoji_basketball:

Sears Tower- 233 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606. Definitely tour this iconic American Skyscraper & please do not call it the Willis Tower, lol

Magnificent Mile- Walk & shop on Magnificent Mile. Upscale shops, posh hotels, luxe fashion houses. Landmarks include the historic Chicago Water Tower, the neo-Gothic Tribune Tower, the terracotta Wrigley Building skyscraper and the 100-story John Hancock Center, which has a rooftop observation deck with fine dining and panoramic city views

Garrett Popcorn Shops- 4 E Madison St, Chicago, IL 60602. Original Chicago gourmet popcorn brand serving specialty flavored popcorn in tins & party packs. I personally haven't been here but have heard it's really good

If you have time & are a car guy checkout Volo Museum. Established in 1960 by the Grams family, the Volo Auto Museum is an automobile museum and collector car dealer in the Chicago suburb of Volo, Illinois, US. I definitely want to go here next time I'm in Illinois. It's about 55 miles out from Chicago so 1 hr & 40 mins drive.

Cairo Nights Hookah Lounge- 3446 W Foster Ave, Chicago, IL 60625. Chill spot to lounge & relax. You can bring your own food & beverages too if you want.

Giordano's for deep dish

darthska darthska

I forgot to add Buckingham Fountain- 301 S Columbus Dr, Chicago, IL 60605. It's a beautiful water fountain in the center of Grant Park. Built in 1927 & donated to the city by philanthropist Kate S. Buckingham, it is one of the largest fountains in the world. Very very beautiful to look at & take pictures of

BP Pedestrian Bridge- BP Pedestrian Bridge, Chicago, IL 60601. Kool little footbridge that when you walk on it reduces the surrounding noise around you. Basically creates an acoustic barrier from the traffic noise from the adjacent Columbus Drive. The views are phenomenal here

Back
Top Bottom