Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Top 10, Maybe Top 15

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Mediocre at Best

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Not Good at All

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
It's not international though. I'm sad I can't watch get out. I haven't even seen a alternative ways to watch yet

It's not international though. I'm sad I can't watch get out. I haven't even seen a alternative ways to watch yet

Yeah studio indirectly saying a black film would not do well overseas :rolleyes

Last edited:

Yeah studio indirectly saying a black film would do well overseas :rolleyes
Well on a sense it wouldn't. It's a very American/black experience movie. The themes wouldn't work in Asia or much of Europe.

That's not saying they shouldn't just do it because, but the same reason we don't get a lot of films from ex. Korea that may be really popular is that it doesn't translate well. Anyway Get out should easily cross 100 million domestically. Which is still a hit for Blumhouse. That makes 2 in a row. They paid 9 million dollars for Split and 4.5 million dollars for Get Out

Well on a sense it wouldn't. It's a very American/black experience movie. The themes wouldn't work in Asia or much of Europe.

That's not saying they shouldn't just do it because, but the same reason we don't get a lot of films from ex. Korea that may be really popular is that it doesn't translate well. Anyway Get out should easily cross 100 million domestically. Which is still a hit for Blumhouse. That makes 2 in a row. They paid 9 million dollars for Split and 4.5 million dollars for Get Out

Well that's just not true. At all actually. We're not talking movie where a foreign language film where being received in United States were talking Hollywood films playing internationally.

to say that a movie of a black gay experience wouldn't okay well in Europe, I can assume that's not on based on any actual data, just assumption and a poor one, when you can look at that racial make up of Europe right now, and look at the films chronically the black experience in those countries adding that with the films that released their.

If think like a man and 12 years a slave can see high box office returns in Europe and the Middle East, any film with the proper support can

I currently live in Dubai and to say that audiences here can pick up the American experience of hell or high water, Collateral Beauty, Loving, La La Land or the black experience of Fences and Hidden figures, all movies I have seen here in Dubai over the last year, how can you say Get Out wouldn't get that same support.

The idea that black films don't translate is as flimsy as when they said black actors couldn't carry films.

Get Out didn't not have a wide international release and that's the studio choosing not to support it.

I can tell you right now the ads that run here regionally for it but no release will be given to it. Why do you think so many movies have such huge box offices? Because the world goes out to see American movies

Last edited:

Well that's just not true. At all actually. We're not talking movie where a foreign language film where being received in United States were talking Hollywood films playing internationally.

to say that a movie of a black gay experience wouldn't okay well in Europe, I can assume that's not on based on any actual data, just assumption and a poor one, when you can look at that racial make up of Europe right now, and look at the films chronically the black experience in those countries adding that with the films that released their.

If think like a man and 12 years a slave can see high box office returns in Europe and the Middle East, any film with the proper support can

I currently live in Dubai and to say that audiences here can pick up the American experience of hell or high water, Collateral Beauty, Loving, La La Land or the black experience of Fences and Hidden figures, all movies I have seen here in Dubai over the last year, how can you say Get Out wouldn't get that same support.

The idea that black films don't translate is as flimsy as when they said black actors couldn't carry films.

Get Out didn't not have a wide international release and that's the studio choosing not to support it.

I can tell you right now the ads that run here regionally for it but no release will be given to it. Why do you think so many movies have such huge box offices? Because the world goes out to see American movies
I'm not saying black films in general can't do well, I'm saying that movies that need a frame of reference won't necessarily do well. It's not about thinking we can't carry a movie. It's subject matter. 12 years a slave and Hidden figures are much different beasts than Get Out. 1 is a feel good Disney movie and the other is a slavery epic. Both were oscar nominated movies

Think like a man 1,2(4 million international each) fences( 4 million international) moonlight(around 5-6 million)madea etc did not great internationally. I'm not comparing Get out to them subject wise, just saying that not every good movie translates well to bigger audiences internationally. It's possible that it could be a hit in France or Belgium, but probably not

Last edited:
I'm not saying black films in general can't do well, I'm saying that movies that need a frame of reference won't necessarily do well. It's not about thinking we can't carry a movie. It's subject matter. 12 years a slave and Hidden figures are much different beasts than Get Out. 1 is a feel good Disney movie and the other is a slavery epic. Both were oscar nominated movies

Think like a man 1,2(4 million international each) fences( 4 million international) moonlight(around 5-6 million)madea etc did not great internationally. I'm not comparing Get out to them subject wise, just saying that not every good movie translates well to bigger audiences internationally. It's possible that it could be a hit in France or Belgium, but probably not

Hell or high Water, Midnight special special all did little domestically and even worse internationally but they still got a release. So you telling me the number on movie in e country needs a frame of reference to be released internationally? International tickets sales are a cherry on top for studios, you don't spend nearly the amount of money marketing. Also theaters request for movies and the studios make the choice to make available on cases of smaller studio films like fences and Moonlight.

You moving the goalpost too, so hidden figures is a Disney movie that's why it was pushed abroad?

To say black stories don't translate outside of America is just a cop out. Our music and fashion can translate but not our movies? be real bruh

I hate being hot but I do like to travel. I know the wife wants to go to Egypt soon, maybe I can swing going to Dubai next year.

I can tell you a bit for both.

Cairo is beautiful and amazing, but on the real for her she can't go around the city by herself. It's not that she can't I wouldn't recommend a single woman to travel alone especially at night. Other than that it's a cool place to visit

Dubai is built for tourists. While Muslim it's extremely liberal to the point you and here will be shocked how much this place feels like Vegas without the gambling. It's a great city though for couples, the nightlife is huge, the food amazing, shopping is crazy and sightseeing is abundant. PM me if you want info I've hooked up a few Nters that come through before. Mind they were single and ready to mingle so my recommendations will be more tailored to married people :lol:

Just avoid the whole region after May and before October. Hell even April is ugly. The best time is right now, from December to March, weather perfect though a bit cold for the beaches

Saw Logan last night and I loved it, 7.25/8. Definitely in my top 5 CBM after the first watch.

Jackman, Stewart, and Keen were all excellent as Logan, Charles, and Laura and gave some of the best acting performances I've ever seen in a comic book film. Wasn't the biggest fan of using X-24 as a villain but it worked for the most part. The plot flowed really well and the action was great, nothing over the top and it was vicious like a Wolverine movie should be. This was a great send off for Hugh and Patrick and I hope they don't come back, no matter how much money they throw at em. Just ride off into the sunset and let this film take its place as one of the best CBM.

It's just tragic it took these fools at FOX 17 years before we got the Wolverine movie we deserved and they wasted Hugh in so many mediocre films. Imagine if Wolverine origins and The Wolverine in Japan had been done right since they had so much great material to work with and really good casts too, this finale of the trilogy could have hit that much harder.

Keen as Laura better be in New Mutants, it would be a shame to never see her again as that character.

This has bee one of the strongest starts to a film year I've seen in a minute

Agreed. Get Out->Logan

With Hidden Figures in-between, though that came out last year. Hopefully this new King Kong movie keeps up the pace.

I remember hearing that 5th fact before :lol: Definitely saved them from a colossal error. Wolverine is easily not only one of the most popular Marvel characters, but one of the most popular Mutants/X-Men characters, if not the most popular in that latter category. Regardless of the poor final product of the character's last two films, Logan is still one of the few Mutants who can easily hold his own film and solo series.

anyone else thought about...

Alpha Flight greeting the kids at the Canadian border? :lol:

Little fella could be Puck...

I thought more about the kids accents. If they all were born and raised in the lab...Wouldn't they have all spoken Spanish and have an accent? Because cousin Terio sure didn't.

Some of the workers there seems to speak some English so that might contribute into it.

Last edited:
Hey, the fat boy was MOOOOOVIN yo! [emoji]128514[/emoji]

All I heard was Luda "move *****, get out the way!"

Then I heard Sam Jackson yelling "knees to chest" [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Back
Top Bottom