Gangland Vol. Boston...still? Castlegate?

Hey NT Family,
I was just talking with my buddy about the city of Boston, and we got to talking about how big gang culture was (apparently...I have never lived there) back in the day. We were talking about Bulger/Winter Hill, and the great organized crime era. Then we got to talking about Castlegate and the X-Men specifically (later on...80's/early 90's) and the influence that the combination of these gangs' reign of power and the emergence of crack cocaine had on an already racially divided city...possibly one of the most racially divided cities in America. 

I'm specifically interested in Castlegate, as I found that different people I talked to gave me different accounts of who they were...specifically that one guy said that they rock Reds baseball caps and gear, while another guy tried to tell me that they only rock blue and gold Miami heat caps with black tracksuits...blue and gold Miami Heat caps??? Do those even exist? I believe the Reds caps though...what's the word on that?

Basically, I'm wondering...with all the duck tales out there...can anyone clear the air for me? Who is the Castlegate gang and what are they about? Is Boston still doing it re: gangs, or am I straight up out of the loop? I'm not an informant or anything...just a guy with an interest in trying to piece together the country's gang scene and trying to understand how it works. I never can tell out here in the suburbs. 

I don't mean to sound like an herb, but I'm very curious. I appreciate your help as always, NT fam. You guys always come through in the clutch. Happy Saturday evening, men. Stay warm out there. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by kingk777

Hey NT Family,
I was just talking with my buddy about the city of Boston, and we got to talking about how big gang culture was (apparently...I have never lived there) back in the day. We were talking about Bulger/Winter Hill, and the great organized crime era. Then we got to talking about Castlegate and the X-Men specifically (later on...80's/early 90's) and the influence that the combination of these gangs' reign of power and the emergence of crack cocaine had on an already racially divided city...possibly one of the most racially divided cities in America. 

I'm specifically interested in Castlegate, as I found that different people I talked to gave me different accounts of who they were...specifically that one guy said that they rock Reds baseball caps and gear, while another guy tried to tell me that they only rock blue and gold Miami heat caps with black tracksuits...blue and gold Miami Heat caps??? Do those even exist? I believe the Reds caps though...what's the word on that?

Basically, I'm wondering...with all the duck tales out there...can anyone clear the air for me? Who is the Castlegate gang and what are they about? Is Boston still doing it re: gangs, or am I straight up out of the loop? I'm not an informant or anything...just a guy with an interest in trying to piece together the country's gang scene and trying to understand how it works. I never can tell out here in the suburbs. 

I don't mean to sound like an herb, but I'm very curious. I appreciate your help as always, NT fam. You guys always come through in the clutch. Happy Saturday evening, men. Stay warm out there. 
pimp.gif
just wait until the history channel does a gangland episode about them

Originally Posted by go rilla

Hey NT Family,

pimp.gif
I would, man, but I'm not sure they are that big. I mean...didn't the History Channel just get around to profiling BMF? 
I would give them the infamous NT late pass but...wait...aren't they...yeahhh...they're...

The HISTORY channel. Those guys STAY late...often and early. 
laugh.gif

My own logic astounds me sometimes. 

Anybody got any info though?

Gangs are still prevalent, but not near what it used to be, I think. 
Mass Ave Horents have made somewhat of a comeback in recent years. & Orchard Park and Mission Hill along with Columbia Point seem to have some type of rift that has been going on the past few years. But, I don't think any are near 'that life' like the old ones used to be. 

Gangs of past; X-Men, Intervale..I don't think there's much left, if anything. Castlegate is still around, though..Cincinnati Reds gear is correct (I think). What are they about? Same things as always
laugh.gif
. But I don't think it's a case in Boston of any one crew having a significant amount of power/territory or a following. 

* Also, You'll never get a Gangland on that side of Boston. 

Never heard of them lol. I dont think that there is that much gang activity going on now though..all I can think of is Mission Hill and Mozart/Boylston but i think that is over some old @!%@

Idk I live in a safe area so I wouldn't know
laugh.gif

never heard of any serious rag tag gang activity up there, at least from the people i kno who live there. the way i see it, if people generally don't know of any gang activity then it prolly isn't that serious.

Im from Boston.... only heard of the X-men. Born in the 90's fail.

Originally Posted by go rilla

Hey NT Family,

pimp.gif
I would, man, but I'm not sure they are that big. I mean...didn't the History Channel just get around to profiling BMF? 
I would give them the infamous NT late pass but...wait...aren't they...yeahhh...they're...

The HISTORY channel. Those guys STAY late...often and early. 
laugh.gif

My own logic astounds me sometimes. 

Anybody got any info though?

why did you quote each other when you were the first three posts

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Gangs are still prevalent, but not near what it used to be, I think. 
Mass Ave Horents have made somewhat of a comeback in recent years. & Orchard Park and Mission Hill along with Columbia Point seem to have some type of rift that has been going on the past few years. But, I don't think any are near 'that life' like the old ones used to be. 

Gangs of past; X-Men, Intervale..I don't think there's much left, if anything. Castlegate is still around, though..Cincinnati Reds gear is correct (I think). What are they about? Same things as always
laugh.gif
. But I don't think it's a case in Boston of any one crew having a significant amount of power/territory or a following. 

* Also, You'll never get a Gangland on that side of Boston. 
Props both to you and CS for the info, man. You REALLY helped me out with this.
Hearing you describe how they aren't about that life like they used to be makes me think about how huge gang activity used to be. I remember in the early 90s things were LIVE on a national scale. I was never a part of anything, or witness to anything for that matter since I was always out in the suburbs, but it's fascinating to follow, especially in my home state. 

Why do you guys think that gang activity has died down in the 00s? I personally have no explanation. 

Also, I know what you mean about not getting a Gangland about these types of gangs. Come to think of it...they tend to profile gangs who have membership, or impact at the very least, on a national level. 

Much props for the info, AL3xis. 
pimp.gif

its died down because todays kids arent about that life! Simple as that their about skinny jeans and jerk dancin. in the 90s you caught a "gangster" in skinny jeans he was gettin beat down please believe it.

From my experience, it is mostly white people forming "gangs" and fighting for their territory. I'm from a white town and my friends were always involved in turf wars with southie, dorchester (savin hill, neponset etc). Nothing too serious though, never weapons just always fighting. I dont even know what its about I think they just fought for pride lol

I've never really heard of a serious black gang, never heard of x-men. Then again I do live in a safe area, but I did go to a diverse school and still never heard anything even though I was cool with all the crowds

Originally Posted by cs02132

From my experience, it is mostly white people forming "gangs" and fighting for their territory. I'm from a white town and my friends were always involved in turf wars with southie, dorchester (savin hill, neponset etc). Nothing too serious though, never weapons just always fighting. I dont even know what its about I think they just fought for pride lol

I've never really heard of a serious black gang, never heard of x-men. Then again I do live in a safe area, but I did go to a diverse school and still never heard anything even though I was cool with all the crowds
I feel you, man. From what I have heard (and researched...
glasses.gif
) the caucasian gangs ran things in Boston, especially back in the day. Those guys didn't play...I mean all the way up to connections with the highest political offices in the state. 
Also, I do get the sense that Boston is a very proud city. Not in a bad sense, but I can see how that sort of identity could lead to a lot of internal conflict. I have a lot of love for Boston though. It might be my favorite city...although choosing between Boston and New York is like choosing between red and blue as your favorite color...so universally accepted.

I appreciate everybody coming through and dropping knowledge. NT is always so willing with information which you might get flamed (or shot...in real life) for asking anywhere else. Keep doing your thing guys. 

Also for the guy asking for CLIFFS:

-Buddy and I talked about Boston gangs and their influence over society.

-I wanted to know about the smaller neighborhood gangs, specifically Castlegate

-NT fam came through and showed me love. 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
lets just say there are different sides to boston...

and yes gang culture was huge in boston but it was mostly divided up by areas...you had your hood and you protected the drug turf there - then you had beef with certain people and alliances with others...it was never too disciplined tho and dudes would beef within there own set alot

it all depends on what era you are talking about but castlegate was big but not the biggest...you still had Academy, OP, Magnolia, Mozart, Norfolk Kings ( i grew up on Norfolk st) RSO was basically a gang too... then if you wanna spread out you have the southie irish type gangs, go to the spanish hoods and the latin kings are doing their thing etc etc ... Boston is diverse

stuff was bad for awhile but alot of props need to be given to Benzino for this movement...brought some unity of the different hoods

wiseguys.jpg

most of this was back in the day but to say theres no gangs now or it slowed down is
laugh.gif
national gangs like the LK, bloods and crips swallowed up alot of these sets but its just as bad as ever - the murders dropped down for awhile but thats cause boston set records in the 90s...i think they are picking back up- didnt they bring in a federal task force like last year?

Wasn't Roxbury big with the gangs back then. My lil bro lives out there now and said it aint nothing but it used to be crazy

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Wasn't Roxbury big with the gangs back then. My lil bro lives out there now and said it aint nothing but it used to be crazy
thats the thing about boston...theres these neighborhoods then there are the subsets to these neighborhoods...so you can say roxbury and be talking about an area full of college kids living close by but off campus...yuppie couples....or the cape verdeans that are letting AKs off everyweek of the summer...

like i said it has calmed down alot since they brought in the feds a while back but to say its done is crazy

Gotcha Kingtre.

LOL @ Benzino. almost ended Paul Pierce's life over him smashing 'Zino's sis. those were the days

Originally Posted by Kingtre

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

thats the thing about boston...theres these neighborhoods then there are the subsets to these neighborhoods...so you can say roxbury and be talking about an area full of college kids living close by but off campus...yuppie couples....or the cape verdeans that are letting AKs off everyweek of the summer...

like i said it has calmed down alot since they brought in the feds a while back but to say its done is crazy
Lol so true
laugh.gif
Where did you grow up? I live in West Roxbury. Nice to see another Boston NTer

Originally Posted by Kingtre

laugh.gif
lets just say there are different sides to boston...

and yes gang culture was huge in boston but it was mostly divided up by areas...you had your hood and you protected the drug turf there - then you had beef with certain people and alliances with others...it was never too disciplined tho and dudes would beef within there own set alot

it all depends on what era you are talking about but castlegate was big but not the biggest...you still had Academy, OP, Magnolia, Mozart, Norfolk Kings ( i grew up on Norfolk st) RSO was basically a gang too... then if you wanna spread out you have the southie irish type gangs, go to the spanish hoods and the latin kings are doing their thing etc etc ... Boston is diverse

stuff was bad for awhile but alot of props need to be given to Benzino for this movement...brought some unity of the different hoods

wiseguys.jpg

most of this was back in the day but to say theres no gangs now or it slowed down is
laugh.gif
national gangs like the LK, bloods and crips swallowed up alot of these sets but its just as bad as ever - the murders dropped down for awhile but thats cause boston set records in the 90s...i think they are picking back up- didnt they bring in a federal task force like last year?
Thanks a lot for this info, Kingtre. I'm really starting to get a bigger picture of what things are/were about in Boston. It's fascinating in a way, but it's real life all the same...a fine line to tread. I had heard of Mozart before, but Academy, OP, Norfolk, and Magnolia are new to me. The thing I'm wondering is...was all of this to hold down the drug turf, or was a lot of it to have identity/"fit in" on the block...or was it about protection? I hear various things about all of the above in regard to reasons for gang membership, but I'm wondering if you guys could shed a little light on the reasoning in Boston, as Boston is a very unique city.
Also, what's this about Paul Pierce? Was that the stabbing incident back in the day? THAT'S the reason he got jumped?!?! They didn't tell me that on NESN...
roll.gif
at news stations "ability" to "get" stories. But 
frown.gif
 for Pierce. He's still the man.

Was it Benzino who stabbed him or one of his goons? Excuse my ignorance. 

Hey NT Family,
I was just talking with my buddy and we got to talking about how big gang culture was and the influence that the combination of these gangs' reign of power and the emergence of crack cocaine had on an already racially divided city...possibly one of the most racially divided cities in America. 
This is what you inner city youths have discussions about ?
laugh.gif
 J/K

Originally Posted by NYC game

Hey NT Family,
I was just talking with my buddy and we got to talking about how big gang culture was and the influence that the combination of these gangs' reign of power and the emergence of crack cocaine had on an already racially divided city...possibly one of the most racially divided cities in America. 
This is what you inner city youths have discussions about ?
laugh.gif
 J/K
Word. Looking at just that segment of what I wrote you'd think it was a quote from 60 minutes or something
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Really though, anybody want to put me on to what REALLY happened with Paul Pierce's stabbing? Was it really Benzino's crew? Paul Pierce got with Benzino's sister? That's hilarious to me...but the stabbing isn't. 

Also, if anybody has any more info about any of these Boston street gangs, it's much appreciated, especially Castlegate and Mission Hill. 

Oh yeah...did any of these gangs have alliances with each other? 

Back
Top Bottom