Gay Rights slams Kobe-- "what a disgrace" Kobe gets fined 100k

Originally Posted by RATxAxTAT

Method Man wrote:
If there was a like button, I'd like this post. Unfortunately, all of what you've just said will probably go in one ear and out the other of some folks.
And that's to be expected.  The person listening to you isn't always the person to whom you're speaking.  That doesn't make it a wasted effort. 
As I've learned from a good deal personal experience in social justice issues, it's often the case that the people who benefit the most from a discussion don't take part in it directly.  They're generally the ones who are too uncertain about their own feelings to venture an opinion, which makes them interested in actually considering multiple positions rather than simply (often blindly) defending their own.  
The point is im not saying to my straight friend you like men, literally. What im trying to say is that a slur or swear word can be transformed into any meaning you want to be. When I say shut up F*****, Im not saying shut up you like males, I look down upon you because of your sexuality. It can mean anything. Its just the sensitive activists or whoever else that is offended easily have to have a hissy fit over a word. Its just a word.
You're not "transforming the meaning."  You're using it as an insult because you've heard it used as an insult.  Almost certainly, you knew that the word was an insult long before you ever knew what it meant.   Now that you know what it means, can you in good conscience continue to use it with the same naive ignorance as you may have when you were 6 years old?  
Even Kobe's apology smacks of this same sentiment, i.e. "I didn't mean it literally."  And?  When you say, "this test is so gay" are you really describing its assumed sexual orientation?  Interpreting it "literally" in that context is nonsensical.  Simply using "gay" to mean "bad" is offensive in and of itself - and that is how Kobe used it.  

So, in that sense, you're not even transforming it.  You're still using it as an insult.  

Earl Ofari Hutchinson has a great section on racial slurs in The Assassination of the Black Male Image:  
“The Black ‘N’ word defenders miss the point.  Words are not value-neutral.  They express concepts and ideas.  Often, words reflect society’s standards.  If colorphobia is one standard, then a word as emotionally charged as ------ can easily reinforce and perpetuate stereotypes.  The word ------ does precisely that.  It is the most hurtful and enduring symbol of black oppression.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Originally Posted by devildog1776

Originally Posted by Mr Oizo

I don't like how people are trying to say if this was the n word it would be different. Maybe it would be to some but not me. Meth's huge essay on intent and what not is really stupid to me. His example of pushing people in line is completely different than saying this word. I don't care if people say the n word, or this f word. Especially when someone says f***** they're not even thinking of homosexuals. I realize that the word derives from a frown upon homosexuals, but it's completely different now. I'm cool with gay people and I still say gay all the time. If someone really wants to say "Oh that's so Mr. Oizo who is ugly as hell." then be my guest. Want to know why no one will? It's not convenient. This whole thing is really stupid. Let people say what they want and stop being so emotional about it.

Cue applause

How is this applause worthy?

His ideas are clear and distinct. Therefore it must be true . According to Decartes.It's just a word. I use it. Do I hate gays? I used to when I was younger , but I'm ok with whatever you choose to be. Kobe Bryant is a man who is granted the right by God to say whatever he pleases. If human can dictate upon another humans God given right them this world is truly as *€$@"! up as I thought. Not the fact that it can be done but the fact that so many people are at arms and agreement with the people handing out sanctions

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Originally Posted by devildog1776

Originally Posted by Mr Oizo

I don't like how people are trying to say if this was the n word it would be different. Maybe it would be to some but not me. Meth's huge essay on intent and what not is really stupid to me. His example of pushing people in line is completely different than saying this word. I don't care if people say the n word, or this f word. Especially when someone says f***** they're not even thinking of homosexuals. I realize that the word derives from a frown upon homosexuals, but it's completely different now. I'm cool with gay people and I still say gay all the time. If someone really wants to say "Oh that's so Mr. Oizo who is ugly as hell." then be my guest. Want to know why no one will? It's not convenient. This whole thing is really stupid. Let people say what they want and stop being so emotional about it.

Cue applause

How is this applause worthy?

His ideas are clear and distinct. Therefore it must be true . According to Decartes.It's just a word. I use it. Do I hate gays? I used to when I was younger , but I'm ok with whatever you choose to be. Kobe Bryant is a man who is granted the right by God to say whatever he pleases. If human can dictate upon another humans God given right them this world is truly as *€$@"! up as I thought. Not the fact that it can be done but the fact that so many people are at arms and agreement with the people handing out sanctions

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

So because I am saying that the behavior is not appropriate means I don't go to NBA games? Ok Ninja. You got it.

I think he's implying (just as most of everybody else) that this is OD! Literally.

Forget the whole "he should have known better" crap... the camera literally zoomed in and stayed on him for a good 10 seconds.

Which is why the TNT crew even said themselves "Maybe we should take the camera off of him"

In a competitive game, I am pretty damn sure players do NOT care about looking good for the camera, they are there to do their damn job and win!

Rich or not, the NBA did in fact go HAM on him! 100k? Really... Keven Garnett did the same EXACT thing on live television... he did not get fined!

So because I am saying that the behavior is not appropriate means I don't go to NBA games? Ok Ninja. You got it.

I think he's implying (just as most of everybody else) that this is OD! Literally.

Forget the whole "he should have known better" crap... the camera literally zoomed in and stayed on him for a good 10 seconds.

Which is why the TNT crew even said themselves "Maybe we should take the camera off of him"

In a competitive game, I am pretty damn sure players do NOT care about looking good for the camera, they are there to do their damn job and win!

Rich or not, the NBA did in fact go HAM on him! 100k? Really... Keven Garnett did the same EXACT thing on live television... he did not get fined!

[h3]http://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...id=fb3924f54043b14972ffc6af2997bf30#p27599488[/h3]
[h3]NBA fines Kobe $100K - Others NOT fined (Garnett/Kenyon)[/h3]
by Jordan-esque on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:48 pm

-
Kevin Garnett (2008) - Lip Read
Fine = 0

http://www.youtube.com/wa...;feature=player_embedded

Kenyon Martin (2009) - Full Audio
Fine = 0

Kobe Bryant (2011) - Lip Read
Fine = $100,000

----

How it was 10 years ago:

http://articles.philly.com/2001-02-08/living/25319487_1_n-word-usage-linguists
According to Sixers guard Allen Iverson, a spectator in Indianapolis called him an n-word during a game on Jan. 28 against the Pacers.

He responded by calling the man a "(bleep) (gay slur)".

Iverson was fined $5,000 by the National Basketball Association after NBC cameras caught him saying the racial slur on television.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/6344596
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant was fined $100,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for a homophobic slur that commissioner David Stern called "offensive and inexcusable."

After receiving a technical foul during Tuesday's game against the San Antonio Spurs, Bryant stormed to the bench, hit his seat before sitting down, threw a towel and then yelled. Bryant then leaned back and muttered a gay slur.

The Iverson incident was 10 years ago, but that's still a 1,900% increase in inflation. It's basically like seeing gas prices increase from $3.95 a gallon to $75.05 a gallon after 10 years.

The NBA where gay slur towards Ref > gay slur towards Fans happens?

[h3]http://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...id=fb3924f54043b14972ffc6af2997bf30#p27599488[/h3]
[h3]NBA fines Kobe $100K - Others NOT fined (Garnett/Kenyon)[/h3]
by Jordan-esque on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:48 pm

-
Kevin Garnett (2008) - Lip Read
Fine = 0

Kenyon Martin (2009) - Full Audio
Fine = 0

Kobe Bryant (2011) - Lip Read
Fine = $100,000

----

How it was 10 years ago:

http://articles.philly.com/2001-02-08/living/25319487_1_n-word-usage-linguists
According to Sixers guard Allen Iverson, a spectator in Indianapolis called him an n-word during a game on Jan. 28 against the Pacers.

He responded by calling the man a "(bleep) (gay slur)".

Iverson was fined $5,000 by the National Basketball Association after NBC cameras caught him saying the racial slur on television.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/6344596
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant was fined $100,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for a homophobic slur that commissioner David Stern called "offensive and inexcusable."

After receiving a technical foul during Tuesday's game against the San Antonio Spurs, Bryant stormed to the bench, hit his seat before sitting down, threw a towel and then yelled. Bryant then leaned back and muttered a gay slur.

The Iverson incident was 10 years ago, but that's still a 1,900% increase in inflation. It's basically like seeing gas prices increase from $3.95 a gallon to $75.05 a gallon after 10 years.

The NBA where gay slur towards Ref > gay slur towards Fans happens?

Originally Posted by Boi

So MM.. Do you believe fining Kobe 100k was the right decision?
I'm not so sure that was a correct move, I mean regardless of how much cash he has, they just docked him more than double many people's yearly salaries... for saying one word. What makes it worse is that I'm sure he didn't intend to use that word in a derogatory manner, it was a heat of the moment thing.

Imagine if you got fined 6 figures for calling something "******ed", like when you fall down a flight of stairs carrying groceries.

Originally Posted by Boi

So MM.. Do you believe fining Kobe 100k was the right decision?
I'm not so sure that was a correct move, I mean regardless of how much cash he has, they just docked him more than double many people's yearly salaries... for saying one word. What makes it worse is that I'm sure he didn't intend to use that word in a derogatory manner, it was a heat of the moment thing.

Imagine if you got fined 6 figures for calling something "******ed", like when you fall down a flight of stairs carrying groceries.

Method Man wrote:
The point is im not saying to my straight friend you like men, literally. What im trying to say is that a slur or swear word can be transformed into any meaning you want to be. When I say shut up F*****, Im not saying shut up you like males, I look down upon you because of your sexuality. It can mean anything. Its just the sensitive activists or whoever else that is offended easily have to have a hissy fit over a word. Its just a word.
You're not "transforming the meaning."  You're using it as an insult because you've heard it used as an insult.  
I can use it as an insult. But I can use it without using it for its actual meaning. At that point its the equivalent to being any other curse word. If I wanna use it as an insult to someone who's not gay its the equivalent to calling them a b***. Because they're not gay...
Whats funny is the majority of the time that I use it im saying it to my roommate with no intent to insult what so ever. At that point it means nothing. 

Im done with this. Lighten up man.. Everyone else too who is getting worked up over a stupid word.

Method Man wrote:
You're not "transforming the meaning."  You're using it as an insult because you've heard it used as an insult.  
I can use it as an insult. But I can use it without using it for its actual meaning. At that point its the equivalent to being any other curse word. If I wanna use it as an insult to someone who's not gay its the equivalent to calling them a b***. Because they're not gay...
Whats funny is the majority of the time that I use it im saying it to my roommate with no intent to insult what so ever. At that point it means nothing. 

Im done with this. Lighten up man.. Everyone else too who is getting worked up over a stupid word.

If someone said to a non-Jew, stop trying to "Jew" me, is it less offensive. People in this thread aren't getting the point because they continue to look at things from their own narrow perspective.

If someone said to a non-Jew, stop trying to "Jew" me, is it less offensive. People in this thread aren't getting the point because they continue to look at things from their own narrow perspective.

bottomline is whoever thinks 100k is justified is a !#!%++%....plenty of cats have gotten lil to NO fines for da doing da exact same thing on camera...

bottomline is whoever thinks 100k is justified is a !#!%++%....plenty of cats have gotten lil to NO fines for da doing da exact same thing on camera...

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

What does any of that have to do with my point of, Kobe was wrong for saying it? You can't steal a candy bar and get punished by your daddy and then tell of an incident in which someone stole one and nothing happened to them. What does that other incident have to do with what harm you caused? Nothing.

What does any of that have to do with my point of, Kobe was wrong for saying it? You can't steal a candy bar and get punished by your daddy and then tell of an incident in which someone stole one and nothing happened to them. What does that other incident have to do with what harm you caused? Nothing.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

People in this thread aren't getting the point because they continue to look at things from their own narrow perspective.
did you NOT read or get da point that others have gotten lil to NO fines for doing da exact same thing? its one hundred thousand dollars for moving your face muscles....

da SAD THING is kobe could've dead +#$ gotten in a FIGHT with a another player, mad him bleed and STILL get less of a fine...

you trying to hard my good man.  Like dude said let me catch you saying "damn ******" at your job and then i'm gonna call some thirsty handicap organization to hound you. then have your job fine you $100.  Would that seem fair to you?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

People in this thread aren't getting the point because they continue to look at things from their own narrow perspective.
did you NOT read or get da point that others have gotten lil to NO fines for doing da exact same thing? its one hundred thousand dollars for moving your face muscles....

da SAD THING is kobe could've dead +#$ gotten in a FIGHT with a another player, mad him bleed and STILL get less of a fine...

you trying to hard my good man.  Like dude said let me catch you saying "damn ******" at your job and then i'm gonna call some thirsty handicap organization to hound you. then have your job fine you $100.  Would that seem fair to you?

Back
Top Bottom