Giving Tip for Delivery?

That's generally because people who don't tip are tight with their money, and eating out at a nice restaurant is way more expensive than other avenues.

when you sit down to eat im 100% all for tipping

when i think my server has done a great job i tip very well, i actually appreciate good service when i dine

there are actually a handful of stories that are memories because my waitress/waiter really went above an beyond an almost felt like a personal touch

had a guy walk out of the restaurant an give me a high 5 because he was so grateful one time....he just wanted to let me know

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/why-do-people-love-tip-waiters

There's one....mentions that people like tipping because they like the control aspect.
You know I posted this earlier. And I read it, and you probably didn't. The article is a summary of different ideas, and the prominent theme was that statistaically and logically speaking tipping does not really depend on service.

Furthermore: 
 A 2010 paper Azar published in Applied Economics  found that rather than being a strategic move to ensure quality service, tipping is largely the result of psychological motivations--like feeling social pressure, or wanting to preserve a self-image of generosity. Another study found that tipping is a risk sharing  method between a waiter and a customer, ensuring people don't lose too much money on food that could be terrible: "when the meal is unusually bad the diner can choose to withhold a tip and reduce the loss of utility that would otherwise occur," the researcher theorized.
Now, there is also another interesting idea in that article. That people tip to establish 'control'. In essence, they feel good to throw money at someone who is 'serving' them. This idea I feel is even more tricky than that of guilt. Other researchers find that this dates back to middle ages when noble men and high class people would tip poor serveants becaase they felt bad for them (this is not the type of world I like living in).

That's why your arguments will never make sense, out here assuming that I don't tip. I'll tip if I sit down and eat in your establishment, regardless of the service. What I don't I appreciate is the myth mongering and manipuation telling people that tipping ensures proper service, or that waiters don't get paid, etc. Furthermore I don't appreciate when dudes perpetuate the belief that this system of tipping is all well and good when even restaurant owners and the like say that it needs a major reevaluation.

most of the people in here talking about not tipping dont even go out to eat or deal with anyone who they have to tip.. 
roll.gif

thats frank mucus bilbo.
That's generally because people who don't tip are tight with their money, and eating out at a nice restaurant is way more expensive than other avenues.
No, I don't think that it's entirely about being tight with money. 

But, even with that being said...what's wrong with being 'tight' with money?

No, I don't think that it's entirely about being tight with money. 

But, even with that being said...what's wrong with being 'tight' with money
That's why I said "generally", and not "entirely". And I don't see where I ever said being tight with money was wron.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/08/tipping-is-good-or-so-a-reader-claims/278653/

Another one...mentions she likes that how she can show her appreciation through tipping.

Again, I'm not a fan of articles....they can say whatever they want. Just because articles are written by journalists, and posted on the internet, doesn't add any credibility (in my opinion).
you obviously didn't read it. And that is fine.

The lady who was quoted in that article was commenting on this article:

http://qz.com/113597/after-i-banned...he-service-got-better-and-we-made-more-money/

A story I had posted earlier. 
ohwell.gif

They generally make about 10%, yes. But on a 10.60 order....no one would feel shorted if you only tipped a buck. 
I should, however....mention that our take out provides more service than most take out people do in other restaurants (from what I've seen). Our take out workers definitely do more. So maybe other take out spots aren't used to getting 10% average.

They generally make about 10%, yes. But on a 10.60 order....no one would feel shorted if you only tipped a buck. 
I should, however....mention that our take out provides more service than most take out people do in other restaurants (from what I've seen). Our take out workers definitely do more. So maybe other take out spots aren't used to getting 10% average.
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

http://qz.com/113597/after-i-banned...he-service-got-better-and-we-made-more-money/

ohwell.gif
I DID read it....and that's my point. A lot of people disagree with your views. THe reader she is referring to in the article said, "Ummm, ********. I like tipping because it gives me an opportunity to show some appreciation to the various members of the 47%, who as a rule work longer hours than I do for way less money and generally live closer to the edge of survival in every way. I don't like their situation, but this is one small thing I can do to help and which is dignified for both of us. It has nothing to do with control or punishment."

@the person who is a waiter

What are these supposed signs that alert you of good or bad tippers?

If you don't want to "spill the beans" pm me.
LOL...I would only tell you in real life face to face...not through a pm that can easily be exploited, miss quoted, screen shotted etc for all the bad tippers to see.
Just pm me. I can keep secrets.

I'm a trustworthy guy.

srs.

ohwell.gif
I DID read it....and that's my point. A lot of people disagree with your views. THe reader she is referring to in the article said, "Ummm, ********. I like tipping because it gives me an opportunity to show some appreciation to the various members of the 47%, who as a rule work longer hours than I do for way less money and generally live closer to the edge of survival in every way. I don't like their situation, but this is one small thing I can do to help and which is dignified for both of us. It has nothing to do with control or punishment."
But the lady was making absurd assumptions. And if she likes tipping because someone works 'longer hours'...I hazard to say that she is tipping because she feels bad for them (aka as GUILT).

That's why your arguments will never make sense, out here assuming that I don't tip. I'll tip if I sit down and eat in your establishment, regardless of the service. What I don't I appreciate is the myth mongering and manipuation telling people that tipping ensures proper service, or that waiters don't get paid, etc. Furthermore I don't appreciate when dudes perpetuate the belief that this system of tipping is all well and good when even restaurant owners and the like say that it needs a major reevaluation.
But they don't hear you though.

Dude out here rather hold on to how his bias helps him profiles customers so he can decide who he's not going to do his job well for.

Son holding on to who he decides to give bad service to like it's a national secret :lol:

Last edited:
@waiter guy

Is there a such thing as an "over-tip" to you?

If you get over-tipped, do you offer to give some of the money back?

An over-tip to me is a tip that's over 20%

Another thing: I think you said that you'd break the rules of your job to please a customer if they gave you a really good tip.

Isn't that a bad thing?

Have any of your regular customers(who tipped well or better) treated you like a servant because of their previous tips?

Generally, how much intergrity is in your workplace?

Lastly, unrelated but related.

Last edited:

@waiter guy

Is there a such thing as an "over-tip" to you?

If you get over-tipped, do you offer to give some of the money back?

An over-tip to me is a tip that's over 20%

Another thing: I think you said that you'd break the rules of your job to please a customer if they gave you a really good tip.

Isn't that a bad thing?

Have any of your regular customers(who tipped well or better) treated you like a servant because of their previous tips?

Lastly, unrelated but related.

Good post man...you raise a couple interesting questions:

Yes....there is such a thing as an overtip. It happens from time to time because the customer doesn't realize what they were tipping. A few weeks ago this guy's bill was 42 dollars. I picked up the check and I said my usual "I'll be right back with that." He said "No, we're good....keep it." I thanked him and told him to have a nice evening. When I opened the book it had a 100 dollar bill in it. I went to go back to the table but he was already in the lobby, I had to chase him down. I told him "Um...you left a 100 dollar bill in here." He turned white. He said "OH ****...I forgot". He was distracted looking thru his phone when I picked up the check, and he mentioned that he thought he left 50 dollars in there....but then remembered he wanted the 100 dollar broken down for later use so he paid with that instead. But he absent mindedly forgot that he did that, and almost tipped me 58 dollars. I changed out the 100 for him..thumbed out 55 dollars, and left.

Another lady...party of 6...about 2 months ago. Her bill came out to 150. She paid with a credit card, then tipped 150 more, and wrote 300 in the total. I went back to the table and told her, "Thank you very much, but that much is definitely not necessary." She said "Don't worry about it, we'll be back, and ask for you again." LOL I never saw her again.

Joe Rogan comes in often and tips usually about 100 dollars regardless of the bill. His bill is usually about 100 dollars. I always thank him just like everyone else, but there is no point in telling him it's too much because he does it every damn time. 

Another regular sits at the bar and gives 20 dollars to everyone that comes to him. I think that's too much but he owns California Car Cover Co....so I think he just likes spreading it around.

And over 20% happens all the damn time....like several times an evening so I don't see it as an overtip. I'd say anything over 30% is getting pretty ourtrageous.

@AKsuited  mentioned that if the tipping system was broken down, food cost would go up and the level of good service would go down cause people would like customers camp tables so they wouldn't have to work as much during their shift. And that the difference between below average, average, and great service is so big that it wouldn't be fair to pay all servers the same. If you ever worked hourly, you'd understand that there's ****** workers making more than good workers in every industry. That don't make it right but the system would change cause ****** servers would get fired for low production just like anybody else that don't perform their job. Restaurant owners would change their expectations of their servers and they would cull their current work force to get rid of the bad workers. 

I don't see this happening anytime soon or ever but if it ever did happen I'm pretty sure customers and employers would come to embrace the change.

Isn't that a bad thing?

I break rules for customers that tip VERY well. But I don't break any crazy rules. I'm not like comping their meal for them (which I could do by simply telling the manager they didn't enjoy the entree). That would be stealing and I'd probably get fired. But one dude always orders a 25 oz beer (Stella), and a double Jameson on the rocks at the same time. That's technically illegal, and against the rules of the restaurant, but I do it for him because he always tips 40 dollars (his bill is usually like 60). He eats by himself, is a pleasure to serve, and tips crazy....so I bend some rules for him. I offer more bread instead of making him request it. The few times he brings his lady, they like to split a large meal....they request it be done in the kitchen. We aren't allowed to do that because it slows down the kitchen. We are supposed to just bring splitting plates for them. But I'm tight with the chefs, so they'll do it for me. If a manager questions me about it, I'll simply say the gues INSISTED that we split it for them. Worth the risk of being reprimanded in my opinion.

Regular customers have never treated me like a servant because of their previous tips, but they have been very high maintenance. They ask for A LOT. I'm at their table like 50 times before they leave. But they tip huge. THey don't treat me like a servant, aren't rude. They are polite...they just know they require a lot of service. But they compensate for it...so it's all good. Generally people that act the way you describe tip poorly, ironically.

@AKsuited  mentioned that if the tipping system was broken down, food cost would go up and the level of good service would go down cause people would like customers camp tables so they wouldn't have to work as much during their shift. And that the difference between below average, average, and great service is so big that it wouldn't be fair to pay all servers the same. If you ever worked hourly, you'd understand that there's ****** workers making more than good workers in every industry. That don't make it right but the system would change cause ****** servers would get fired for low production just like anybody else that don't perform their job. Restaurant owners would change their expectations of their servers and they would cull their current work force to get rid of the bad workers. 

I don't see this happening anytime soon or ever but if it ever did happen I'm pretty sure customers and employers would come to embrace the change.
Good point but still....you'd have servers doing the bare minimum required so as not to get fired. No one would go above and beyond, ever, for anyone.

We already have servers not worth a damn, and by your logic...they'd should be fired. And in my opinion, they should to. But it doesn't work like that. You can't fire anyone for not being as good as the rest of the over achievers. If they are fulfilling the expectations, then you gotta keep em on board or risk a wrongful termination lawsuit.

The tipping system ensures that servers turn the tables over faster, and give the best service they can. It won't be like that with hourly wages. You'd just turn the tables as fast as you are required to. And you'd only give the level of service that's required.

Last edited:

Good point but still....you'd have servers doing the bare minimum required so as not to get fired. No one would go above and beyond, ever, for anyone.
That's just not true. People go above and beyond because they want to not because they expecting tips in other industries. If the culture of the service industry changes people are still going to be knocking the service out the park cause they love the job their doing. People who do it just for the money won't (just like in other industries).

Back
Top Bottom