Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Jumpers

thats pretty sad. I can't believe its a common occurance
In 2005, documentary filmmaker Eric Steel set off controversy by revealing that he had tricked the bridge committee into allowing him to film the Golden Gate for months, and had captured 23 suicides on film for his documentary The Bridge. In March 2005, San Francisco supervisor Tom Ammiano proposed funding a study on erecting a suicide barrier on the bridge.[2]

We had a guest speaker from San Francisco when I was in high school that survived his attempted suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge. Dude said something like he got to the bridge and had a certain place father down the bridge that he was going to do it. He made the decision that if ONE, SINGLE person smiled at him on his way to the point where he was going to do it when he smiled at them, he wouldn't jump. No one smiled back at him
smh.gif
ohwell.gif

He's alive and well though I believe.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Didn't they add something to the bridge where you can't jump off it anymore, like the Eifel Tower and other tall monuments have? There's a chubby white dude who jumped off and survived. He used to be on the Army homepage during prevent suicide week. I wonder if he's in this documentary.

What does it even do to the body to die like that? I know from altitude, falling into the water can be like concrete but does it bust you open and break bones like concrete would?

My guess is blunt force trauma.  Wikipedia says the jump is about 245 feet and it takes 4 seconds to hit the water moving at 75 mph.  The human body just isn't that strong to withstand that sort of impact, especially if you don't go in feet first. 

And for the folks who do survive the jump, I'd imagine they're still pretty effed up so they end up drowning anyways. 

After a fall of approximately four seconds, jumpers hit the water at some 76 miles per hour (122 km/h). At such a speed, water has proven to take on the properties similar but not equal to concrete. Because of this, most jumpers die on their immediate contact with the water. The few who survive the initial impact generally drown or die of hypothermia in the cold water.

Terrible. I don't know how or why. My jaw dropped watching these people jump.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Didn't they add something to the bridge where you can't jump off it anymore, like the Eifel Tower and other tall monuments have? There's a chubby white dude who jumped off and survived. He used to be on the Army homepage during prevent suicide week. I wonder if he's in this documentary.

What does it even do to the body to die like that? I know from altitude, falling into the water can be like concrete but does it bust you open and break bones like concrete would?

My guess is blunt force trauma.  Wikipedia says the jump is about 245 feet and it takes 4 seconds to hit the water moving at 75 mph.  The human body just isn't that strong to withstand that sort of impact, especially if you don't go in feet first. 

And for the folks who do survive the jump, I'd imagine they're still pretty effed up so they end up drowning anyways. 
JPZ, is the guy Kevin Hines? I googled it and he's the name who keeps coming up, but I don't think this is the same guy the Army had on their site. I used to always click off it because it was an autoplay video, but I remember him being older, chubby, and blonde but I could be wrong.

JPZ, is the guy Kevin Hines? I googled it and he's the name who keeps coming up, but I don't think this is the same guy the Army had on their site. I used to always click off it because it was an autoplay video, but I remember him being older, chubby, and blonde but I could be wrong.
Ahhhh I can't remember his name man. That was a while ago. I wish I could remember it better.

Originally Posted by JediMaster23

They must think Hell is A Vacation,smh
Originally Posted by JediMaster23

COOL STORY BRO, They couldn't think of a more sure fire way to go out? Stupid Attention seekers,smh

Im gonna watch more 4 the laughs.
laugh.gif
 man this must really upset you...

Im not even from Norcal but I thought it was common knowledge how many people jump off that bridge every year
smh.gif
, awful

Even though it's a cowardly way out, that dude in all black with the shades went out like a G, backwards, head first.

I'd go head first for the instant death. Going straight down would probably break your legs and spine and still be alive, then die of drowning.

I got the goosebumps now and I'm supposed to be studying.

those were very sad and I got a feeling they all have families too, whom they never spoke to about their problems.

Damn.
smh.gif

I always thought it was
"Build a bridge and get over it"
not
"Build a bridge and jump the hell off"
laugh.gif

I wouldn't waste any energy to mourn for these people though...
Who knows what actions they committed, being so they can't sleep at night.

But on the other end what kind of world we live in today
where folks even ramble up the thought of jumping off a bridge.....

How many more cows are going to have to jump off the cliffedge before we change the route?

Back
Top Bottom