Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Martin and VanBergen would be stout enough as DTs in a 4-3 scheme. Those 2 with Banks, Sagesse, Patterson, Campbell (who the coaches will not play), Black and possibly Roh is more than enough bodies to attempt to plug the middle. They just haven't even tried it.

Losing Woolfolk in the summer killed our secondary then having Turner and Vlad bounce was no help either. Then again all the attrition and lack of bodies in the secondary are due to RR. He has had 3 classes to try and do this and he hasn't. JT, Vlad, Smith, Witty, Dorsey, Cissoko, Warren,Chambers. All could be here but are not. That is 8 guys in 4 years. Add to it Mike Williams and Troy Woolfolk are done for the year. Who would look at this team and think that secondary would be a strong point, thus putting 5 out there at a time?

Ryan Tannehill broke the Texas A&M single-game passing record in his first career start
pimp.gif

But we also lost C-Mike for the season with a fractured tibia
30t6p3b.gif

Not what you wanna see with our remaining schedule (vs. Oklahoma, @ Baylor, vs. Nebraska, @ Texas)...

Ryan Tannehill broke the Texas A&M single-game passing record in his first career start
pimp.gif

But we also lost C-Mike for the season with a fractured tibia
30t6p3b.gif

Not what you wanna see with our remaining schedule (vs. Oklahoma, @ Baylor, vs. Nebraska, @ Texas)...

Mettenburger supposedly has no interest in Alabama because he's not a fan of Nick Saban...

LSU's to lose.

Also, a snippet from an article I read this morning that struck me as interesting...
Gee, what took so long, Coach Sherman? After watching for half a season as Jerrod Johnson flailed away with a bad wing throwing interceptions and lame duck passes all the while, he finally decided to give Ryan Tannehill a shot as the full-time starter. Of course Tannehill responded with a 449-yard passing performance with 4 TDs against Texas Tech.

I have to wonder if Ags are excited about their future with Tannehill under center moving forward or pissed at Sherman because just about everyone knew this move should have been made at least three games ago? One NFL personnel man who was at the A&M/Tech game texted me and said "Texas A&M is going to be a tough out for every single team they face from here on out and they will beat Baylor and Texas. The Aggies have more good, young talent than Texas does for the first time in years."
I don't know about all that, but it's ridiculous that there might even be a real discussion about it...

Texas' evaluations along the OL and RB have been ridiculously bad for years now. And Garrett Gilbert kinda sucks, too.

Mettenburger supposedly has no interest in Alabama because he's not a fan of Nick Saban...

LSU's to lose.

Also, a snippet from an article I read this morning that struck me as interesting...
Gee, what took so long, Coach Sherman? After watching for half a season as Jerrod Johnson flailed away with a bad wing throwing interceptions and lame duck passes all the while, he finally decided to give Ryan Tannehill a shot as the full-time starter. Of course Tannehill responded with a 449-yard passing performance with 4 TDs against Texas Tech.

I have to wonder if Ags are excited about their future with Tannehill under center moving forward or pissed at Sherman because just about everyone knew this move should have been made at least three games ago? One NFL personnel man who was at the A&M/Tech game texted me and said "Texas A&M is going to be a tough out for every single team they face from here on out and they will beat Baylor and Texas. The Aggies have more good, young talent than Texas does for the first time in years."
I don't know about all that, but it's ridiculous that there might even be a real discussion about it...

Texas' evaluations along the OL and RB have been ridiculously bad for years now. And Garrett Gilbert kinda sucks, too.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Pass rush won't hide horrible DBs.
Bad dbs get beat quick enough to wear a pass rush doesn't even matter.

disagree... bad db's will typically be exposed in a man to man d when receivers are running deep routes... if you have a great pass rush the qb wont have enough time to get out of his 5 step drop to make that throw...

disagree... bad db's will typically be exposed in a man to man d when receivers are running deep routes... if you have a great pass rush the qb wont have enough time to get out of his 5 step drop to make that throw...

Originally Posted by swizzc

You have to bet on your pass rush applying pressure EVERY time the QB drops back. That is asking a lot

You have to bet on your pass rush applying pressure EVERY time the QB drops back. That is asking a lot

Yep newbs, u just are not going to get pressure every play, great defense get what 10-12 pressures per gameand about 2-3 sacks, so 50-60plays are going to not be effected by the rush.
Take it for what its worth that its coming from a guy on a msg board but trust me, that's some statement that I just made up I have played for and have learned from some pretty good coaches with pretty good track records.

Yep newbs, u just are not going to get pressure every play, great defense get what 10-12 pressures per gameand about 2-3 sacks, so 50-60plays are going to not be effected by the rush.
Take it for what its worth that its coming from a guy on a msg board but trust me, that's some statement that I just made up I have played for and have learned from some pretty good coaches with pretty good track records.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

not true, you only have to bet on your pass rush applying pressure when you put your terrible db's in a position to be exposed (in man to man coverage).  its very tough for a db (especially a corner) to be awful playing zone coverage, unless they are just agregiously blowing coverages and leaving deep thirds of the field wide open... you gotta assume that doesnt happen on the college level.. at least from my experience it does not. 

from watching michigan this year their db's blowing zone coverages is not their problem.  they get KILLED on play action, their linebackers cannot cover intermediate routes for the life of them, and their DBs are awful at man coverage...

its not really a point worth arguing about though... just trying to put my 2cents in on a lazy sunday
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Newbs24

not true, you only have to bet on your pass rush applying pressure when you put your terrible db's in a position to be exposed (in man to man coverage).  its very tough for a db (especially a corner) to be awful playing zone coverage, unless they are just agregiously blowing coverages and leaving deep thirds of the field wide open... you gotta assume that doesnt happen on the college level.. at least from my experience it does not. 

from watching michigan this year their db's blowing zone coverages is not their problem.  they get KILLED on play action, their linebackers cannot cover intermediate routes for the life of them, and their DBs are awful at man coverage...

its not really a point worth arguing about though... just trying to put my 2cents in on a lazy sunday
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by SlimK4

griffin is a BEAST
Not when he plays a team that is any good. Most over hyped QB in college football.

Yall can flame away, but TCU and Boise are the most complete teams in the country. Oregon and Auburn play no defense. They are really good teams, but its all on offense. TCU and Boise have the offense, defense, and special teams to beat anyone.

* In last 8 games, TCU's D has given up 57 points. In 8 quarters yesterday, Auburn and Oregon gave up 63 points.

*The Horned Frogs held their opponent to single digits in scoring for the sixth time in nine games this season, including five straight contests surrendering seven points or fewer.

*The Horned Frogs have held their opponent to fewer than 200 yards five times this season, including four times in its five MWC contests.

*TCU allowed 128 yards passing and remains the only team in the nation to surrender less than 200 yards in the air in every game this season.
Can't hate on TCU's defense, they're really good...but Boise St?  Every decent team they've played has put up decent points.  For christ's sake they only beat crappy Vtech by 3 points
eyes.gif

griffin is a BEAST
Not when he plays a team that is any good. Most over hyped QB in college football.

Yall can flame away, but TCU and Boise are the most complete teams in the country. Oregon and Auburn play no defense. They are really good teams, but its all on offense. TCU and Boise have the offense, defense, and special teams to beat anyone.

* In last 8 games, TCU's D has given up 57 points. In 8 quarters yesterday, Auburn and Oregon gave up 63 points.

*The Horned Frogs held their opponent to single digits in scoring for the sixth time in nine games this season, including five straight contests surrendering seven points or fewer.

*The Horned Frogs have held their opponent to fewer than 200 yards five times this season, including four times in its five MWC contests.

*TCU allowed 128 yards passing and remains the only team in the nation to surrender less than 200 yards in the air in every game this season.
Can't hate on TCU's defense, they're really good...but Boise St?  Every decent team they've played has put up decent points.  For christ's sake they only beat crappy Vtech by 3 points
eyes.gif

And CLK with those dumb @!* shotgun tosses vs outside blitzes what the hell was that?!? I'm don't wit USC, I don't understand how Allen Bradford isn't the focal point of that offense. It would set everything else up. Havili as Tailback... Get The #@!! Outta Here
I think CLK overthought the game plan last night.  Play calling was bad on offense.  It wasn't clicking at all.  Seems he was trying to play the conventional field position game when playing against a non-conventional offense.

Should of stuck with the offensive game plan they had for Cal.

I was hoping it wouldn't catch up to him, but Bradford's case of fumbilitis is keeping him from being the focal point of the offense.

that's kind of a chicken / egg argument... they both depend on each other to succeed, which is why i rated them equally... to take the other side of the argument, all the talent in the world can't win without a great scheme and motivation (see: USC this year)
What is this talent you speak of?
laugh.gif

I think our defensive line stepped up big last night agaisnt Oregon, there is only so much a good defensive line can do.  They had constant pressure on Thomas, and stopped several runs by James.  James had huge runs when the LB's were lost and the DB's couldn't tackle.

There is a lot of talent on offense, but we are thin on Defense.  Once all the talent left from the 2008 the cupboard wasn't really filled especially at LB'er.  We have a DE playing MLB (Kennard), and undersized LB who can't shed a block to save his life (Morgan), and our best LB based on instincts hasn't been the same since having back surgery and always seems a step too slow (Galippo).  The secondary has talent according to recruiting services but haven't really put it together.

Keep in mind we lost four very talented LB'ers that Pete was banking on in the past two years: Telfort (Career ending injury), Jarvis Jones (Career ending injury), Vontaze Burfict (Academics, had to attend a JC) and Manti T'eo (Pete wouldn't give his ******, WR playing BFF a schollie, Weis did.).

-I think Kiffin went away from the running game way too early.
-Play calling was bad, led to mistakes and lack of production.
- Barkley missed a few passes, and some huge opportunities.  RoJo was open a few times deep and Barkley didn't see him.
30t6p3b.gif

- Oregon's tempo is really fast, if you have an undisciplined defense they are going to kill you.
- They are really good at ducking hits. Excuse the pun.
- I was impressed by Oregon's DL, they were small but fast, still their LB'ers and DB's are nothing to write home about even though Casey Mathews did well on run support.
- Too many times, our DL got pressure only for our LB's and Safeties to bite and leave the middle wide open.
- Coaches need to learn to be aggressive as hell against Oregon.  Punting on 4th and 1, %%+!  Yes we were in our own 37, but I'm sure we could've got the first down.  Oregon got a big Punt Return and then hit Maehl deep to score anyway. 
30t6p3b.gif
- SC's DB's
30t6p3b.gif
still haven't learned to not let Receivers get behind them.

Games around the Nation:
-Good to see Mizzou and MSU lose, not that I hate those teams just thought they were overrated, didn't deserve their billing.
- Didn't catch much action around the nation, except for that Miami game
laugh.gif

Sorry for the long post, here's a pic for you CFB beasts:

=
81371075.jpg
+ S

And CLK with those dumb @!* shotgun tosses vs outside blitzes what the hell was that?!? I'm don't wit USC, I don't understand how Allen Bradford isn't the focal point of that offense. It would set everything else up. Havili as Tailback... Get The #@!! Outta Here
I think CLK overthought the game plan last night.  Play calling was bad on offense.  It wasn't clicking at all.  Seems he was trying to play the conventional field position game when playing against a non-conventional offense.

Should of stuck with the offensive game plan they had for Cal.

I was hoping it wouldn't catch up to him, but Bradford's case of fumbilitis is keeping him from being the focal point of the offense.

that's kind of a chicken / egg argument... they both depend on each other to succeed, which is why i rated them equally... to take the other side of the argument, all the talent in the world can't win without a great scheme and motivation (see: USC this year)
What is this talent you speak of?
laugh.gif

I think our defensive line stepped up big last night agaisnt Oregon, there is only so much a good defensive line can do.  They had constant pressure on Thomas, and stopped several runs by James.  James had huge runs when the LB's were lost and the DB's couldn't tackle.

There is a lot of talent on offense, but we are thin on Defense.  Once all the talent left from the 2008 the cupboard wasn't really filled especially at LB'er.  We have a DE playing MLB (Kennard), and undersized LB who can't shed a block to save his life (Morgan), and our best LB based on instincts hasn't been the same since having back surgery and always seems a step too slow (Galippo).  The secondary has talent according to recruiting services but haven't really put it together.

Keep in mind we lost four very talented LB'ers that Pete was banking on in the past two years: Telfort (Career ending injury), Jarvis Jones (Career ending injury), Vontaze Burfict (Academics, had to attend a JC) and Manti T'eo (Pete wouldn't give his ******, WR playing BFF a schollie, Weis did.).

-I think Kiffin went away from the running game way too early.
-Play calling was bad, led to mistakes and lack of production.
- Barkley missed a few passes, and some huge opportunities.  RoJo was open a few times deep and Barkley didn't see him.
30t6p3b.gif

- Oregon's tempo is really fast, if you have an undisciplined defense they are going to kill you.
- They are really good at ducking hits. Excuse the pun.
- I was impressed by Oregon's DL, they were small but fast, still their LB'ers and DB's are nothing to write home about even though Casey Mathews did well on run support.
- Too many times, our DL got pressure only for our LB's and Safeties to bite and leave the middle wide open.
- Coaches need to learn to be aggressive as hell against Oregon.  Punting on 4th and 1, %%+!  Yes we were in our own 37, but I'm sure we could've got the first down.  Oregon got a big Punt Return and then hit Maehl deep to score anyway. 
30t6p3b.gif
- SC's DB's
30t6p3b.gif
still haven't learned to not let Receivers get behind them.

Games around the Nation:
-Good to see Mizzou and MSU lose, not that I hate those teams just thought they were overrated, didn't deserve their billing.
- Didn't catch much action around the nation, except for that Miami game
laugh.gif

Sorry for the long post, here's a pic for you CFB beasts:

=
81371075.jpg
+ S

griffin is a BEAST
Who is over-hyping him though outside of Baylor homers? He's a solid, young QB that is still developing and improving. It's not like people are putting him on the same level as a Cam Newton or even Denard Robinson. He's getting some attention because he's the face of a Baylor team that is finally fielding a squad that doesn't completely suck. He used to be way more of a running QB during his freshman year but after coming back from the injury, he's working on becoming a better pocket passer.

griffin is a BEAST
Who is over-hyping him though outside of Baylor homers? He's a solid, young QB that is still developing and improving. It's not like people are putting him on the same level as a Cam Newton or even Denard Robinson. He's getting some attention because he's the face of a Baylor team that is finally fielding a squad that doesn't completely suck. He used to be way more of a running QB during his freshman year but after coming back from the injury, he's working on becoming a better pocket passer.

Back
Top Bottom