Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

call me Homer but I havent seen any FS better than Janzen Jackson all yr

Bowers smelled that NFL money. He put in WORK this yr

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by after h0urs

NakoXL, saw your post in the Rent thread.  Didn't know you live out in NYC.  You go to Galway for SC games?

yeah i've been there a few times but i'm the only sc fan out of my friends (oregon, michigan, penn state, notre dame, cal) so the saturdays i head out i usually end up catching games at one of their places or wherever they all decide to meet up at, usually in the east village.
Yeah I hear you, I usually end up doing same, but try to make it out for the games that start before 8pm.  Hit me up on PM's if you ever plan on going next season.  Even though I've never met a NT'er in person, it'd be good to meet a regular from this thread.

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement...

[h1]U-M athletic director not happy with season, but won't rush decision[/h1][h4]Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News[/h4]
Ann Arbor— Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon is no different than anyone associated with Michigan football, including the fans — he is not happy with how the season ended.

The Wolverines finished the regular season with a 7-5 overall record, 3-5 in the Big Ten, but with consecutive losses to Wisconsin (48-28) and Ohio State (37-7) last Saturday at Ohio Stadium.

They are bowl-bound for the first time in three years under coach Rich Rodriguez. But considering the finish to this season, and Rodriguez's 8-16 record his first two years, speculation continues to swirl regarding the future of Michigan's football coach.

"Had we performed better during the season, it wouldn't be an issue," Brandon told The Detroit News on Monday, referring to Rodriguez's job security. "People are concerned and they're unhappy with the way the season unfolded and particularly the way the season closed, and I understand that.

"No true Michigan fan is happy with where we ended up in the Big Ten and how the season unfolded, particularly the end."

Brandon, a former Michigan player under the legendary Bo Schembechler, said he includes himself among U-M fans unhappy with the season.

"I said when I got this job our expectations are very high," Brandon said. "We want to compete for championships, we want to be among the best, and we clearly did not do that this year. I'm not happy about that, the coaches aren't happy about that, the players aren't happy, the fans aren't happy — nobody is happy with where we ended up this year."

Brandon, however, refuses to change his approach in terms of evaluating Rodriguez and his staff in determining the direction of Michigan football.

He has been consistent in his repeated assertions he will wait until after the season, and that means the bowl game, which has not yet been determined, to evaluate Rodriguez.

"The team has the opportunity to practice 15 days and prepare for a bowl game, which they've earned the right to," Brandon said. "I have so consistently stated what my process is, how I do this, and what is in the best interest of the program. That's what I do, and that's what I'm going to do. All of this desire for information sooner, all this speculation is fueling curiosity — it doesn't change how I'm doing my job.

"Back when we were 5-0, I said (this would be the evaluation process), along the way, I've said it, after exciting wins I've said it. This is how I'm going to do my job. I have not equivocated on that at all. Just because people out there are stirring the pot, that's not going to deter what I'm going to do."

Brandon has fielded calls from fans and former players, he has had in-person interaction, and he said he has received e-mail, although not as much as you might think.

"I get a lot of input from a lot of different places, in a lot of different ways," said Brandon, adding he listens to and processes all of the conversations.

Michigan is destined for a bowl game in either late December or Jan. 1 — the likely options are the Insight Bowl (Dec. 28), the Texas Bowl (Dec. 29) and the Gator Bowl (Jan. 1) — so Brandon's evaluation clearly will take place after that game.

But does waiting create an issue with recruiting and potential recruits who want to know whether Rodriguez will be coaching the Wolverines in 2011 or if there will be another head coach? The national signing period begins Feb. 2.

Brandon does not believe the delay in determining the direction of the program will affect recruiting.

"I have 27 sports, and I evaluate the performance at the end of the season," Brandon said. "It's the appropriate time to do it. It's when the coaching is over, and you can sit down and focus on what we've learned.

"Recruiting is a 12-month-a-year process. There will always be recruiting going on in one fashion or the other. It's a dynamic process. There's no good time, bad time, better time as it relates to how you manage the situation."

Will delaying the evaluation until after Jan. 1 affect Michigan's ability to bring in a top coach if the decision is made to release Rodriguez? There are various schools of thought. By waiting until after the bowl season, some coveted head coaches will be more available after they've coached their bowl.

The hottest name making the rounds regarding Michigan and a potential coaching opening is former U-M quarterback Jim Harbaugh, now the head coach at Stanford. Some projections have Stanford playing in the Orange Bowl on Jan. 3.

Regardless of the growing speculation, however, Brandon said he wants the Wolverines and Rodriguez to focus on their upcoming bowl game.

"They've got a game to play," Brandon said. "I understand there's an enormous distraction, and a lot of people are enjoying stirring the pot. They need to prepare for the game, and that's what I want them to do."

[email protected]

Originally Posted by The Swoosh

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement...

tresselheartrip.gif

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

But at the same time on that, the Big East does absolutely nothing to help their recruitment of Texas kids on the football field...
I disagree, they can sell Automatic Bid for a National Title. 

You can go to Texas win out and be in Nat't Title game but now  you can come to TCU win out and get the same reward.
Completely agree. Teams like Baylor, Tech, A&M, were all telling recruits that TCU is on the outside looking in at the BCS and all that mess. They can no longer use that against TCU.
I mean, sure... But they're still starting from behind the 8-ball... Playing Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt doesn't exactly excite anybody.

If Texas A&M capitalizes on this year and keeps the ship going in the right direction and Tuberville can get the tide turned at Tech, TCU is still gonna have a tough time out-recruiting them.

[h3]Why Stanford is better than your team[/h3]

Stanford is better than your team because it's got a better quarterback than your team. Stanford is better than your team because your team hasn't shut out three BCS conference opponents this year. Stanford is better than your team because its offensive line would make your defensive front cry uncle. Stanford is better than your team because it's ranked eighth in the nation in scoring offense and 11th in scoring defense, and no other BCS conference team can match that.

And, finally, Stanford is better than your team because its coach can kick your coach's butt.

[+] Enlarge
Ezra Shaw/Getty ImagesAndrew Luck finished the season with more than 3,000 passing yards and 28 touchdowns.
Stanford is 11-1 playing against the nation's eighth toughest schedule in the nation's toughest conference, according to the highly respected Sagarin Ratings. Its only loss came at Oregon, which is No. 1 in all the major polls and No. 2 in the BCS standings.

Ewwww. Yuck. Heads just exploded everywhere outside the West Coast.

Are we being intentionally provocative and just a bit disingenuous? Yes. Why? Because those who follow Pac-10 football get to be provocative and disingenuous at this time every year because you get so much lunkheaded and disingenuous analysis that questions the quality of the nation's toughest conference.

No, we are not saying the Pac-10 is the nation's "best" conference. It's the toughest because it plays by different rules, and Stanford's stunning success playing by those rules sets it apart.
  • The Pac-10 plays nine conference games, which no other conference does. That means five more defeats are guaranteed to be scattered throughout the conference every season, thereby making it a mathematical fact that it's more difficult to become bowl eligible in the Pac-10 than any other conference.
  • The Pac-10 plays the most challenging nonconference schedule among the BCS conferences. Not only has it played six top-17 teams in the current BCS standings, it played five of them all on the road. And that list doesn't include Iowa, Texas, Notre Dame, Tennessee and BYU.
That combination of nine conference games and tough nonconference scheduling also leads to this: No Pac-10 team played fewer than five road games this year. Seven played six -- including Oregon and Stanford -- and USC played seven.

Contrast that with other top-10 BCS programs: Auburn (four road games), Wisconsin (five), Ohio State (four), Arkansas (four), Michigan State (four), Oklahoma (five) and LSU (four).

If you don't believe playing two fewer road games a season is a huge advantage, you know nothing about college football.

This is a long setup to this: Stanford critics point out it has only beaten three teams with a winning record. That sounds like a meaningful critique. But again reference the bullet points above.

Then consider this: There are 19 other bowl-eligible BCS conference teams that are 6-6 or 7-5. How many would not be bowl eligible if they played an extra conference game, another road game (or two), one fewer nonconference patsy and one more tough nonconference game?

[+] Enlarge
Ezra Shaw/Getty ImagesJim Harbaugh's only loss of the season was against No. 1 ranked Oregon.
Arizona State likely will finish tied for seventh in the Pac-10 if it loses Thursday at Arizona. Yet the Sun Devils were good enough to push Wisconsin to the brink before losing 20-19 on the road.

UCLA will finish ninth in the conference if it loses to USC on Saturday. Yet the Bruins were good enough to beat Texas and Houston. Sure, those teams fell well short of preseason expectations, but which team finishing second to last in a BCS conference has a better nonconference resume?

In other words, 5-7 in the Pac-10 is much different than it is in the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and ACC. That's what the non-biased Sagarin Ratings take note of when it rates the Pac-10 ahead of other conferences.

And that's what Stanford emerged from -- with a 22.5-point average margin of victory.

Of course, proving the quality of Stanford is only part of the issue. Most who aren't blinded by fandom recognized early on that the Cardinal were an elite team. But it's also fair to say that the Cardinal is not an elite team in terms of attendance, which is why Stanford might not have received a BCS bowl berth if it hadn't climbed to No. 4 in the BCS standings, which earned it a guaranteed spot.

It's worth noting that Stanford fans turned out last year for the Sun Bowl, which set a stadium and game record with 53,713 fans in attendance.

But the Cardinal this year also has two of the biggest drawing cards in the country, for ticket sales and TV ratings: quarterback Andrew Luck and coach Jim Harbaugh. Those two will attract not only college football fans, but also NFL fans who are curious about the top-rated college quarterback and a coach who is on a lot of wish lists -- college and pro.

The honest truth is that we do not know if Stanford is better than your team. We just typed that to make you mad. Sorry.

What we do know is Stanford belongs. It has earned a berth in a BCS bowl game because it is an elite team.

And what we suspect is the Cardinal will have proven that when the bowl season ends.

Stanford is ranked right where they should be right now, but some good points in that article, especially for those who always spew out that %+%%#%!@ that the Pac-10 is the Pac-1...

I've always felt Stanford's "rise" this year is very similar to Cal's rise in 2003-2004. Their season this year is eerily similar to Cal's 2004 season where they finished the regular season with one loss (to USC on the road)-Stanford's one loss is at Oregon. They had one of the best QBs in college FB (Rodgers) too, whereas Stanford has Luck. In my unbiased opinion, I think Stanford has a better chance at sustaining the success better than Cal because Harbaugh is simply a more mentally tough coach than Tedford (assuming Harbaugh stays, which may not be the case)

I was the OSU/Stanford game this past weekend, that stadium is dope as hell. not a bad seat in the house.

and Luck was straight up playing with the OSU defense
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

NakoXL, saw your post in the Rent thread.  Didn't know you live out in NYC.  You go to Galway for SC games?

yeah i've been there a few times but i'm the only sc fan out of my friends (oregon, michigan, penn state, notre dame, cal) so the saturdays i head out i usually end up catching games at one of their places or wherever they all decide to meet up at, usually in the east village.
Yeah I hear you, I usually end up doing same, but try to make it out for the games that start before 8pm.  Hit me up on PM's if you ever plan on going next season.  Even though I've never met a NT'er in person, it'd be good to meet a regular from this thread.

no doubt

just came to me that Brotzman is the Bill Buckner of Boise State, recieving death threats for blowing a possible championship for a team that hasn't had the chance ever.
just hope it'll turn out the way it did with Buckner, making a return 20 years later and finally being accepted.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Stanford is ranked right where they should be right now, but some good points in that article, especially for those who always spew out that %+%%#%!@ that the Pac-10 is the Pac-1...
@#$%^ please, this year it's the pac 2 and nothing else.  Oregon and Stanford are great, the rest of that conference is TRASH.  Two other teams in that conference got winning records, and you all want respect for it or what? 
grin.gif
  Sec got 7.  Big ten 7.  Even the friggin Big East has 5 and they suck too.  ACC 7, and we suck.  Big 12 got 8. 
SC has ran the sport for several years, they hurtin because of their sanctions and PC leaving, otherwise they would be just fine, but don't get all salty and demand respect when they get beat like a mule by the God damn Oregon St Beavers of all teams, and then the Beavers go out and get blanked 38-0. 

You all wanna live on your Pac -10 is so tough, Oh they're so tough,  and other bunch of circle jerk nonsense, it's ridiculous.  Arizona loses to Stanford, Oregon, and SC, I ain't mad at that, and then they lose to Oregon St.  The same team that loses to Washington, Washington St and UCLA. 
eyes.gif

It's a bunch of average teams that go out and beat each other while you all clamor for respect.  Over beating each other. 
laugh.gif
  You have 2 ranked teams, period.  (though I think Arizona is a solid team this year, they lost a couple tough games to tough teams, I can't blast them too much) but the rest of these programs? 
grin.gif

Oregon has a chance to shut me up, I like that Stanford squad, but next year when Luck is gone, they probably go right back to 6-6 land.  The Ducks have a chance to acually have some fun for a few years if they keep up the pace. 

So like it or not, it's still a Pac 1 until Oregon makes it to the big boy table, if that happens, then we can talk, til then you're asking for props on a bunch of "well, they almost beat so and so, and they kept a game close til the 3rd quarter and a whole bunch of other bs. 

Quit bein so sad all the time cuz your conference gets called out.  When other teams start helpin out USC on a regular basis, THEN you can call me out for the Pac-1, but not a minute before. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

@#$%^ please, this year it's the pac 2 and nothing else.  Oregon and Stanford are great, the rest of that conference is TRASH.  Two other teams in that conference got winning records, and you all want respect for it or what? 
grin.gif
  Sec got 7.  Big ten 7.  Even the friggin Big East has 5 and they suck too.  ACC 7, and we suck.  Big 12 got 8. 
SC has ran the sport for several years, they hurtin because of their sanctions and PC leaving, otherwise they would be just fine, but don't get all salty and demand respect when they get beat like a mule by the God damn Oregon St Beavers of all teams, and then the Beavers go out and get blanked 38-0. 

You all wanna live on your Pac -10 is so tough, Oh they're so tough,  and other bunch of circle jerk nonsense, it's ridiculous.  Arizona loses to Stanford, Oregon, and SC, I ain't mad at that, and then they lose to Oregon St.  The same team that loses to Washington, Washington St and UCLA. 
eyes.gif

It's a bunch of average teams that go out and beat each other while you all clamor for respect.  Over beating each other. 
laugh.gif
  You have 2 ranked teams, period.  (though I think Arizona is a solid team this year, they lost a couple tough games to tough teams, I can't blast them too much) but the rest of these programs? 
grin.gif

Oregon has a chance to shut me up, I like that Stanford squad, but next year when Luck is gone, they probably go right back to 6-6 land.  The Ducks have a chance to acually have some fun for a few years if they keep up the pace. 

So like it or not, it's still a Pac 1 until Oregon makes it to the big boy table, if that happens, then we can talk, til then you're asking for props on a bunch of "well, they almost beat so and so, and they kept a game close til the 3rd quarter and a whole bunch of other bs. 

Quit bein so sad all the time cuz your conference gets called out.  When other teams start helpin out USC on a regular basis, THEN you can call me out for the Pac-1, but not a minute before. 
Did you read the article?  Your opinions vs facts, figures and Sagarin ratings...hmmm...tough choice
roll.gif

JM

Supposedly Harbaugh will interview for the Michigan job Thursday when he'll be in town for a banquet honoring the 85 Michigan team.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

But at the same time on that, the Big East does absolutely nothing to help their recruitment of Texas kids on the football field...
I disagree, they can sell Automatic Bid for a National Title. 

You can go to Texas win out and be in Nat't Title game but now  you can come to TCU win out and get the same reward.
Completely agree. Teams like Baylor, Tech, A&M, were all telling recruits that TCU is on the outside looking in at the BCS and all that mess. They can no longer use that against TCU.
I mean, sure... But they're still starting from behind the 8-ball... Playing Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt doesn't exactly excite anybody.

If Texas A&M capitalizes on this year and keeps the ship going in the right direction and Tuberville can get the tide turned at Tech, TCU is still gonna have a tough time out-recruiting them.

I mean yeah. That is alot easier said than done. If TCU keeps up the trend of going to BCS games while A&M, Tech, and Baylor dont, its not going to be a problem. Recruiting will only be better from this point on.

Originally Posted by CP1708

grin.gif

eyes.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif

chipkellyjpg-856ff5423398e73b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom