Google Glass Thread UI Revealed

I actually worked there a couple of years ago, and remember the internal beta testing/prototyping. The scary/impressive thing to me is how quickly Google went from those early stages to product release in approx. 2 years.
I would be pleasantly surprised if these are anything more than a niche novelty in the immediate future. Just the practicality alone of wearing a $1500 computer on your face every day will be a barrier for 99% of the population. Many, if not all of the functions can be done the same as taping an iPhone5 to your head and barking commands to Siri.
However, the most impressive feat, to me, is Google's ability to capture the public's imagination. The technology (natural language processing, image recognition, etc.) will transfer over into other devices that may be more practical. Big kudos to Google tho.

I believe there will be some level of success with the product, the possible tough part is to have people accept this concent of computing because its so out of the ordinary and the wow factor that something like this even is real and also so close to actually being released. I believe though that once developers get there hands on this and its been out for a while it could take off. The strength of mobile products now are apps and if developers like this and make some cool creative apps i dont see why people wont buy it. But the simple fact that they were able to go from that prototype concept to the almost finished product thats being shown now and what the device actually is, i think it really is something revolutionary and the first step into the possible future of mobile products and computing.

I actually worked there a couple of years ago, and remember the internal beta testing/prototyping. The scary/impressive thing to me is how quickly Google went from those early stages to product release in approx. 2 years.
I would be pleasantly surprised if these are anything more than a niche novelty in the immediate future. Just the practicality alone of wearing a $1500 computer on your face every day will be a barrier for 99% of the population. Many, if not all of the functions can be done the same as taping an iPhone5 to your head and barking commands to Siri.
However, the most impressive feat, to me, is Google's ability to capture the public's imagination. The technology (natural language processing, image recognition, etc.) will transfer over into other devices that may be more practical. Big kudos to Google tho.

only reason I`m copping is to look like a douche because I know the hood wont be on these for a min after they drop

Damn on the real I want one. Google can definitely take on apple if the innovate and pump out amazing products and take chances like this. Damn could u imagine it taking a X-ray and seeing which female is wearing panties and which one is going commando.

google being compared to apple is an insult to google. google's engineering > apple's. and its not even close. lettuce be cereal improving the iphone with dated features for the past 5 yrs isn't innovative. ultra hi res laptops? big deal.

google innovates on w.e. autonomous cars, google maps+ recent expansion, software services, google fiber, android, etc. they are OD, their X lab just engineers random ****, and this Glass project is just one item from there.

as an engineer myself id work for google all day over apple.

google being compared to apple is an insult to google. google's engineering > apple's. and its not even close. lettuce be cereal improving the iphone with dated features for the past 5 yrs isn't innovative. ultra hi res laptops? big deal.

google innovates on w.e. autonomous cars, google maps+ recent expansion, software services, google fiber, android, etc. they are OD, their X lab just engineers random ****, and this Glass project is just one item from there.

as an engineer myself id work for google all day over apple.

totally agree with this, and you're right, I'm confident many other engineers would agree. Breaking down Google's core software services, cloud infrastructure/platform to it's nuts and bolts algorithms would run circles around Apple. Apple may not be top 5 when it comes to raw computer science, intellectual horsepower. Generally speaking, i'd rank several mainstream competitors (in no order) Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook over them. However, their UX, UI and Industrial Design teams set the bar, in my opinion.

Editor from the verge
Just like I thought, you're gonna have to look out the corner of your eyes to see it.  Granted, that's the most reasonable placement, but I can see my eyes hurting and getting headaches from focusing on it too much...

Just like I thought, you're gonna have to look out the corner of your eyes to see it.  Granted, that's the most reasonable placement, but I can see my eyes hurting and getting headaches from focusing on it too much...

The design can be changed overtime though.

im excited about these and I'm not sure why but I want them. lol I'm interested in how they stay charged/on.
I need to go ahead and brainstorm an app for this for maximum profit.

My thing is data connectivity, Carriers are gonna hit a lick with this, and I`m straight on having a wireless radio on my head UNLESS this syncs to your smartphone via bluetooth, but idk how that would transmit images, unless its a tether and carriers aint having that without getting their cut

Back
Top Bottom