Government Shutdown 2013-2014 My Civil Servant Brethern...what you think

Healthy people don't go to the doctor? No one gets check ups? :lol: :rofl: What is this fantasy world some of you live in?

Healthy people KNOW they're healthy by GOING TO THE DOCTOR. Insurance makes this CHEAPER.

Young People want insurance in case **** happens (the reason most people get insurance). Bones break, flu gets caught, etc. Logic is severely lacking here :lol: This is how insurance, in general, works. Car, home, life, even your cell phone. Common sense ain't so common, man.

I don't think Repubs or Dems are necessarily better than one another but I do think the Tea Party needs to be ejected as a whole into the upper stratosphere. Realistically, the GOP should separate themselves more from the radical left if they want to steal more votes from the Dems next cycle. This furlough, if it continues for too long will hurt regular people that support both parties. In an area like where I live that has a LOT of military (all branches are in the Hampton Roads area, plus Northrop Grumman Shipyard, and some more ****) that are feeling effects.

You literally just made up most of what you said. In this country most people go to the doctor when there is something wrong. Healthy people rarely go to the doctor for annual check ups.

Young people don't usually get health insurance because they are usually very healthy and don't see the need for spending extra money. Especially since it isn't mandatory...well not anymore.

It really sucks that the government shut down. I've been hurt by it cause my mom lost her job and all. They are telling workers to apply for unemployment.

Even with all of that I want ACA to go through no matter way. If anything that link posted shows people want it and need it. Yes there will be bugs at first but this kind of things take some ironing.

isnt unemployment paid.... by the government?

what would happen if this were to go on for weeks/months hypothetically?

Unemployment is paid by your employer. Your employer pays into a pool for each state. When the state pool runs dry, they borrow from Uncle Sam. Theres more into it, too late to explain.

Healthy people don't go to the doctor? No one gets check ups? :lol: :rofl: What is this fantasy world some of you live in?

haven't seen a doctor in 20 years here - but my whole fam works in the medicinal field so im probably one of the few.

Last edited:
I agree with the the healthy people idea. For it to work they will need more people who don't go to the doctor to sign up. If all they have are people that see the doctor regularly, obamacare will implode and end up being another entity draining the blood of Uncle Sam.

I dont go to the doctor and I have health insurance through my job.

Fo this to really work they need to go to get rid of Health insurance companies and opt for real Universal Health Care.

I agree with the the healthy people idea. For it to work they will need more people who don't go to the doctor to sign up. If all they have are people that see the doctor regularly, obamacare will implode and end up being another entity draining the blood of Uncle Sam.

Haven't been up to speed on the matter but as I understand, the program must basically tax healthy folks so that sick folks can be subsidized?

...moral hazard?

It really sucks that the government shut down. I've been hurt by it cause my mom lost her job and all. They are telling workers to apply for unemployment.

Even with all of that I want ACA to go through no matter way. If anything that link posted shows people want it and need it. Yes there will be bugs at first but this kind of things take some ironing.

Unemployment is paid by your employer. Your employer pays into a pool for each state. When the state pool runs dry, they borrow from Uncle Sam. Theres more into it, too late to explain.

:pimp: i learned something from this thread, nice post. srs. repped.

You literally just made up most of what you said. In this country most people go to the doctor when there is something wrong. Healthy people rarely go to the doctor for annual check ups.

Young people don't usually get health insurance because they are usually very healthy and don't see the need for spending extra money. Especially since it isn't mandatory...well not anymore.

yea somewhat true. but the concept of insurance is in case something does happen. in any case, AMA is mostly aimed at those who need insurance but couldn't get it before.

then we make a trip to the house/john boehner like

nas-mask.gif

The ACA, and the entire idea of reforming healthcare/insurance in our country is to change the status quo. When you say young people don't go to the doctor until they are sick, that's something that is a problem in our society. Preventive care is very important, and many young people don't go to the doctor not only because they're healthy, but because they don't have access to health insurance. There is no reason that healthcare should be tied to your employment, yet for now, that is how our system works. The ACA is not the ideal solution to our problem, but it is a step in the right direction. Young people will now be able to purchase relatively cheap/affordable insurance and we as a society can become more aware of our health and healthcare system. There is no reason why the United States can't have a successful UHC system like many developed nations in the world--it's time that we realize this.

This is simply false, most "young people" couldn't afford insurance in the old system. Cobra is ridiculously expensive, and if you wait til some thing is wrong to go to a doctor then its going to be really expensive without insurance. I don't knw how old you are, but I have a hard time believing that you really believe this nonsense they telling you.

They don't get it because it was ridiculously expensive. You see it all the time, ask a young person what there most excited about after landing there first real job, they will almost always hit you with "and I get health insurance/benefits"

And I'm all for protecting the people from **** that could ruin there rest of their young lives. A huge medical bill can definitely do that.

You guys are all ignoring the invincibility complex of young people. We believe nothing bad will happen to us. I'm 23 and do have health insurance but never go to the doctor. I have A1 health (as far as I know). My peers who are recent college grads and the number one thing I hear them say is they're happy to finally have a "real" job that will allow them to move out of their parent's home. Especially where I live, it is very expensive in Northern Va to be self sufficient. A decent apartment in a good area (within close proximity to D.C. and a metro station) could probably run you $1200/month for a one bedroom.

Not only that, the freedom you get from not being tied down to an employer because of health insurance. A lot more people are willing to take risk and pursue whatever endeavor they choose.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-26/obamacares-battle-to-sign-up-young-healthy-americans

The Obamacare Battle for the Young Invincibles
By Stephanie Armour September 26, 2013

Steven Binko is young. He’s healthy. So he doesn’t see any reason he should be required to have health insurance. “I’m not in a position to afford any insurance at all,” says the 25-year-old Los Angeles resident who is unemployed. He has coverage through his stepmother’s plan, but he’ll be forced off it when he turns 26 in February. After that, he’ll just do without. “For young people just learning to take care of themselves, it’s foolish we have to take care of our older generation,” he says.

Young invincibles, which is what the insurance industry calls people like Binko, are at the center of a pitched battle between backers of the Affordable Care Act and its opponents. There are an estimated 15.7 million Americans age 19 to 29 who lack insurance, according to the Commonwealth Fund, a New York-based foundation that works to expand access to health care. The White House has said it needs 2.7 million young adults to buy insurance through the government-run marketplaces that open on Oct. 1. Without this group, premiums for seniors with costlier health problems will rise, and the health-care reform may falter.

The conflict is playing out on television and the Internet, on college campuses, and in door-to-door campaigns waged by volunteers across the U.S. FreedomWorks, a group with ties to the Tea Party, is urging young adults to burn their “Obamacare draft cards” by skipping the exchanges. Americans for Prosperity, a conservative group backed by the Koch brothers that pushes for limited government, in July announced a $1 million ad campaign aimed at women and people under 35. “Obamacare is an awful deal for young people,” says Evan Feinberg, president of Generation Opportunity, an Arlington (Va.)-based advocacy group for 18- to 29-year-olds that supports less government. “We’re talking about stealing from young people during our leanest years. We don’t have the money to be footing the bill for older generations’ health care.”

Enroll America, an independent advocacy group led by a former Obama campaign field director, works with partners to educate college students about health insurance exchanges. In Texas, they’ve held more than a dozen back-to-college events and health fairs. In Florida, they’ve organized backpack giveaways. Campaigns on Twitter and Facebook (FB) have reached 2 million users, according to Enroll America. “All the research has shown that young people value health insurance and want it,” says Jessica Barba Brown, a spokeswoman for the group.

Young adults may balk at buying coverage because they are healthy and assume they don’t need it or because they can’t afford it.
Either way, they will have to pay a penalty, which in 2014 will be $95 a year or 1 percent of household income, whichever is greater. “This demographic is critical,” says Caroline Pearson, a vice president at Washington consulting firm Avalere Health. Without them, mostly high-risk people gain coverage, and premiums go up. “It becomes a death spiral,” she says. If insurance rates climb because not enough younger and healthier Americans sign up for coverage, higher costs may lead to new attacks on the law.

It’s not yet clear who is winning over young Americans. About 56 percent of those age 18 to 29 said they approved of the law in a September survey by the Morning Consult, a Washington media company. When asked if they were almost certain or very likely to buy a plan on the public exchanges, about 35 percent said yes. Shane McClelland, 27, a family lawyer in Columbus, Ohio, who buys insurance on the individual market, is likely to go through an exchange. “I don’t have a problem paying my dues in society,” he says. “If it brings more people into having coverage, I’m OK with it.”

Others say the ads and outreach efforts aimed at young adults won’t sway them. Ethan Rutten, 21, of Davenport, Iowa, has insurance through a full-time job at Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) while he takes a year off from his studies at Augustana College. “It’s not fair that young people are being forced to help subsidize costs for older people,” he says. “I don’t think people should have to have insurance and be penalized if they don’t.”

The bottom line: The White House needs at least 2.7 million young Americans to sign up for health care to make reform work.

These same mutha****as *****ing about how they can't afford it will spend their monthly premium at the bar in a week, or doing some other irresponsible ****.

People are acting like insurance is some material possession or they live in a bubble immune to disease and injury.

When these same young adults go to the ER, us "older adults" are the ones paying for you. Why is it ok for us to pay for you, yet you can't pay for yourself?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-26/obamacares-battle-to-sign-up-young-healthy-americans

Steven Binko is young. He’s healthy. So he doesn’t see any reason he should be required to have health insurance. “I’m not in a position to afford any insurance at all,” says the 25-year-old Los Angeles resident who is unemployed. He has coverage through his stepmother’s plan, but he’ll be forced off it when he turns 26 in February. After that, he’ll just do without. “For young people just learning to take care of themselves, it’s foolish we have to take care of our older generation,” he says.
Young invincibles, which is what the insurance industry calls people like Binko, are at the center of a pitched battle between backers of the Affordable Care Act and its opponents. There are an estimated 15.7 million Americans age 19 to 29 who lack insurance, according to the Commonwealth Fund, a New York-based foundation that works to expand access to health care. The White House has said it needs 2.7 million young adults to buy insurance through the government-run marketplaces that open on Oct. 1. Without this group, premiums for seniors with costlier health problems will rise, and the health-care reform may falter.

The conflict is playing out on television and the Internet, on college campuses, and in door-to-door campaigns waged by volunteers across the U.S. FreedomWorks, a group with ties to the Tea Party, is urging young adults to burn their “Obamacare draft cards” by skipping the exchanges. Americans for Prosperity, a conservative group backed by the Koch brothers that pushes for limited government, in July announced a $1 million ad campaign aimed at women and people under 35. “Obamacare is an awful deal for young people,” says Evan Feinberg, president of Generation Opportunity, an Arlington (Va.)-based advocacy group for 18- to 29-year-olds that supports less government. “We’re talking about stealing from young people during our leanest years. We don’t have the money to be footing the bill for older generations’ health care.”

Enroll America, an independent advocacy group led by a former Obama campaign field director, works with partners to educate college students about health insurance exchanges. In Texas, they’ve held more than a dozen back-to-college events and health fairs. In Florida, they’ve organized backpack giveaways. Campaigns on Twitter and Facebook (FB) have reached 2 million users, according to Enroll America. “All the research has shown that young people value health insurance and want it,” says Jessica Barba Brown, a spokeswoman for the group.
Young adults may balk at buying coverage because they are healthy and assume they don’t need it or because they can’t afford it.
Either way, they will have to pay a penalty, which in 2014 will be $95 a year or 1 percent of household income, whichever is greater. “This demographic is critical,” says Caroline Pearson, a vice president at Washington consulting firm Avalere Health. Without them, mostly high-risk people gain coverage, and premiums go up. “It becomes a death spiral,” she says. If insurance rates climb because not enough younger and healthier Americans sign up for coverage, higher costs may lead to new attacks on the law.

It’s not yet clear who is winning over young Americans. About 56 percent of those age 18 to 29 said they approved of the law in a September survey by the Morning Consult, a Washington media company. When asked if they were almost certain or very likely to buy a plan on the public exchanges, about 35 percent said yes. Shane McClelland, 27, a family lawyer in Columbus, Ohio, who buys insurance on the individual market, is likely to go through an exchange. “I don’t have a problem paying my dues in society,” he says. “If it brings more people into having coverage, I’m OK with it.”

Others say the ads and outreach efforts aimed at young adults won’t sway them. Ethan Rutten, 21, of Davenport, Iowa, has insurance through a full-time job at Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) while he takes a year off from his studies at Augustana College. “It’s not fair that young people are being forced to help subsidize costs for older people,” he says. “I don’t think people should have to have insurance and be penalized if they don’t.”

The bottom line: The White House needs at least 2.7 million young Americans to sign up for health care to make reform work.
gee...i thought this was only a fox news talking point....
laugh.gif

These same mutha****as *****ing about how they can't afford it will spend their monthly premium at the bar in a week, or doing some other irresponsible ****.

People are acting like insurance is some material possession or they live in a bubble immune to disease and injury.

When these same young adults go to the ER, us "older adults" are the ones paying for you. Why is it ok for us to pay for you, yet you can't pay for yourself?

It all boils down to freedom my dude.

A lot of people don't like the feeling of not having freedom(s).

once democrats caved to ben nelson (a blue dog conservative democrat who was mauled

in da 2010 GOP sweep) to remove da public option in obamacare, it turned da bill into a big stinker...

We're already paying for you old folks social security benefits. So when you retire at 65 or whenever those nice little checks you get will be because my generation are working. As far as I'm concerned we do enough for you guys. I can only hope that social security is at least halfway solvent by the time I reach the age of retirement...in 40+ years. :smh: :smh:

Last edited:
Ok, I haven't been keeping with this because I don't think I'm affected. But is welfare, SS checks, food stamps, unemployment or any other government aid being affected by all this as of now?

once democrats caved to ben nelson (a blue dog conservative democrat who was mauled

in da 2010 GOP sweep) to remove da public option in obamacare, it turned da bill into a big stinker...
Ben Nelson wasn't voted out in 2010. He retired from the Senate in January.

We're already paying for you old folks social security benefits. So when you retire at 65 or whenever those nice little checks you get will be because my generation are working. As far as I'm concerned we do enough for you guys. I can only hope that social security is at least halfway solvent by the time I reach the age of retirement...in 40+ years. :smh: :smh:

Social security is not enough to live on, it'll still be around, but you need to fund your own retirement. Same thing with your health care right now.

gee...i thought this was only a fox news talking point....:lol:

Once again you read only what you see, comprehend only what you wish, and try to shut down points that only you ever thought existed. Then pat yourself on the back and claim victory.

All the while looking like a fool.

I said that was a basic principle of insurance, and the everyone knows that. You harping on it like it was some HUGE unique thing was a Fox News talking point.

Last edited:
Also, if the public option was still there, do you honestly believe the GOP/tea party would be fine with that? Give me a break.

I can't believe people still don't understand how insurance works and still bash ACA

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are all ignoring the invincibility complex of young people. We believe nothing bad will happen to us. I'm 23 and do have health insurance but never go to the doctor. I have A1 health (as far as I know). My peers who are recent college grads and the number one thing I hear them say is they're happy to finally have a "real" job that will allow them to move out of their parent's home. Especially where I live, it is very expensive in Northern Va to be self sufficient. A decent apartment in a good area (within close proximity to D.C. and a metro station) could probably run you $1200/month for a one bedroom.

And THANKS to Obamacare, healthy young adults up to age 26 can be covered under their Parent's insurance!

Tell me how that is a bad thing?

Back
Top Bottom