Greg Oden is trash thread...vol 1 man hacking machine

just because people compared him to all time greats doesnt mean you have to believe them. that's your own damn fault.

a player's progression isnt dependant on the things analysts say and the comparisons they make. their expectation (and by extension, many of yours) areskewed by hype.

oden has always just played. scouts saw him and decided to compare him to greats. that doesnt mean he was going to be.

the people who thought he was going to be an offensive force obviously are the people that only read the artcles.

players, no matter how hyped, and especially big men, dont always blow up right away. especially after missing an entire season.

yao took a few years. so did jefferson and randolph, j.o. took 5.

if you actually watch him play you can easily see he's got a ton of physical talent. granted his mental game needs work, but he's doing fine.

Give him time...??? Please dude is a certified "Kwame Brown bust" He's been hurt, lacks heart and desire for the hype he's gotten through outhis high school and college days...if he wanted time he should have kept his sorry @%# in college.

Put him in the NBADL maybe he can find his game there...just a suggestion.

coming of a serious knee injury, i still believe that oden can be a force, all he need to do is be patient and work on his conditioning coz i think hisconditioning has been lacking that's why he get's so many fouls and get out of position a lot.

Originally Posted by sam23air

Give him time...??? Please dude is a certified "Kwame Brown bust" He's been hurt, lacks heart and desire for the hype he's gotten through out his high school and college days...if he wanted time he should have kept his sorry @%# in college.

Put him in the NBADL maybe he can find his game there...just a suggestion.
Aight u mgith be right, he could be a bust, but thats where the give him time thing comes in...
after a big injury and only 20 games into his career, u cant give u on dude that quick.....
lets see what happens...
if this time next year hes still a bad player, then hes a kwame brown x 2

Calling him trash or saying he's a bust might be too harsh at this point, but the OP does makes some valid points. There are rookies who are currentlyplaying at or beyond their expectations this year (as if they've been in the league for a few years already) yet Oden doesn't seem comfortable outthere most of the time he plays. He's foul-prone, clumsy and timid most of the time. Give him time sure, but he should be playing at a higher level no ifsands or buts.

I
Originally Posted by NaSmatic I

Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez deserve to go to the Rookie-Sophomore game over Greg Oden at this point.
No doubt about that. Lopez in particular.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

just because people compared him to all time greats doesnt mean you have to believe them. that's your own damn fault.

a player's progression isnt dependant on the things analysts say and the comparisons they make. their expectation (and by extension, many of yours) are skewed by hype.

Sorry but...thats the reputation that comes along with being a professional basketball player. If you don't live up to the standards placed upon you thenobviously the player is going to be the one to blame.

By your logic then there is no such thing as a bust...

Yao didn't take a few years at all...he had already cemented himself as an all star by his second year and he was the runner up for ROY in hisfirst. Jefferson sat on the bench for a playoff team...most HS players DONT get burn in that type of situation. Randolph and Jermaine O Neal both had to sitbehind better players at their position.

These are the same people who said brandon Roy would never be anything more than a mid level player given the fact that after 4 years in college he had nocieling . . .right?

I've yet to see anything to believe that, given the circumstances(1 year removed from H.S., surgery that takes 2 years to recover), Oden can't one daybe a franchise center.

If you think he's gonna be a bust because you believe he'll have an injury plagued career then I have no problem with that. But some of you soundstraight up stupid using games where he got into immense foul trouble as proof or even as any sort of argument as to why Oden will be a bust. People who knowball don't make stupid proclamations like that. If he got into foul trouble every single game I'd see you but since it only happens sporadically andsince he HAS shown the ability to improve in that area I fail to see why that would ever be a major problem down the road.

Kudos to whoever posted the rookie years for other all-time great C's, I had no idea all those guys came out after their first year, I also had no idea allthose bigs were in the process of going through an injury that limits their athleticism their first year. How relevant. AGAIN, Greg is NOT the athlete now thathe will be next season, and he's still got more bounce than most bigs right now.

I'm also not willing to believe he's going to be a bust because he often plays "timid". Who gives a ###! about that @%@$@$ +$+@ you think a$*%%$@+*%!*$ like ME gives a +$+@ about a $*%%$@+*%!*$ like Greg actin timid when he's a @%@$@$ rookie that has the potential to ball the ###! out of hismind the way he did against Toronto(damn I'm an internet g . .)

28 min.
5-7 fg, 6-6 ft: 16 pts
7 off rb, 3 def rb: 10 reb
a couple blocks

There's been games that he's had where if you recorded just one and played it in front of an NBA exec he'd say "franchise center".He's also had games where that same exec would say "project at best". So anyone thinking they have any sort of crystal ball in this matter needsto pipe down, you don't know anything.

Also, before you call me biased, if anyone was willing to make a "Rudy Fernandez = Bust" thread I'd be a VERY vocal supporter. Right now thatguy's just a chucker who doesn't even attempt to get in the lane.

Clutch and Exile are gettin my blood pressure up..........

laugh.gif
roll.gif

These are the same people who said brandon Roy would never be anything more than a mid level player given the fact that after 4 years in college he had no cieling . . .right?

Roy was the most NBA ready cat in that draft, and a team like Houston knew this.

Enough so that they wanted him bad. So bad, that when he was drafted like a spot or two ahead of where Houston selected that year, Houston wasn't eveninterested in anybody anymore, and traded away the draft rights to Rudy Gay for Shane Battier

Originally Posted by franchise3

These are the same people who said brandon Roy would never be anything more than a mid level player given the fact that after 4 years in college he had no cieling . . .right?

Roy was the most NBA ready cat in that draft,
Basically... I dont know what this guy is talkin about

Originally Posted by Exile On Ivy St

I've yet to see anything to believe that, given the circumstances(1 year removed from H.S., surgery that takes 2 years to recover), Oden can't one day be a franchise center.

If you think he's gonna be a bust because you believe he'll have an injury plagued career then I have no problem with that. But some of you sound straight up stupid using games where he got into immense foul trouble as proof or even as any sort of argument as to why Oden will be a bust. People who know ball don't make stupid proclamations like that. If he got into foul trouble every single game I'd see you but since it only happens sporadically and since he HAS shown the ability to improve in that area I fail to see why that would ever be a major problem down the road.

Kudos to whoever posted the rookie years for other all-time great C's, I had no idea all those guys came out after their first year, I also had no idea all those bigs were in the process of going through an injury that limits their athleticism their first year. How relevant. AGAIN, Greg is NOT the athlete now that he will be next season, and he's still got more bounce than most bigs right now.

I'm also not willing to believe he's going to be a bust because he often plays "timid". Who gives a ###! about that @%@$@$ +$+@ you think a $*%%$@+*%!*$ like ME gives a +$+@ about a $*%%$@+*%!*$ like Greg actin timid when he's a @%@$@$ rookie that has the potential to ball the ###! out of his mind the way he did against Toronto(damn I'm an internet g . .)

28 min.
5-7 fg, 6-6 ft: 16 pts
7 off rb, 3 def rb: 10 reb
a couple blocks

There's been games that he's had where if you recorded just one and played it in front of an NBA exec he'd say "franchise center". He's also had games where that same exec would say "project at best". So anyone thinking they have any sort of crystal ball in this matter needs to pipe down, you don't know anything.

Also, before you call me biased, if anyone was willing to make a "Rudy Fernandez = Bust" thread I'd be a VERY vocal supporter. Right now that guy's just a chucker who doesn't even attempt to get in the lane.

the *+$# are u yacking about?

Starters Min FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast TO Stl BS BA PF Pts

K. Brown 32:28 4-5 0-0 1-3 +1 3 4 0 0 1 2 0 1 9

G. Oden 12:38 2-3 0-0 0-1 -14 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 4 4

smh.gif

last 3 games for Oden
18 pts, 9 rebs, 12 fouls, 1 block

he still needs time

dude is so trash its not even funny. u watch him play and its the same skills set as when u seen him on ESPN for his high school games. some players have ITand some players dont have IT

oden bum *+! doesnt have IT

Kwame Brown and Michael ABCDEFGHIFK will welcome u with open arms oden to the hall of big men bust

laugh.gif
at he still needs time.

*5 years from now* "he still needs some time"

*15 years from now* "any day now......"

*20 years* "oooohhh, oohhoo, he had 10 and 6, you can see it, you can see it"

From the looks of dude, he's time's father.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

a player's progression isnt dependant on the things analysts say and the comparisons they make. their expectation (and by extension, many of yours) are skewed by hype.

oden has always just played. scouts saw him and decided to compare him to greats. that doesnt mean he was going to be.

the people who thought he was going to be an offensive force obviously are the people that only read the artcles.

players, no matter how hyped, and especially big men, dont always blow up right away. especially after missing an entire season.

if you actually watch him play you can easily see he's got a ton of physical talent. granted his mental game needs work, but he's doing fine.

Sounds a bit like my Bargnani defense.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom