Guardians of the Galaxy (Film) - 8/1/14 - Starring Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Benic

Shazam makes sense because it's how he gets his powers and Acronym of the gods.

They probably didn't want the confusion with Marvel and Shazam is a more memorable name since it's more odd if that makes sense.

They probably didn't want the confusion with Marvel and Shazam is a more memorable name since it's more odd if that makes sense.

Yeah the confusion was there when I first heard of him. Real question, what did they change the rest of the Marvel Family to?

So is his name Shazam or Cpt Marvel? I always thought it was Cpt. Marvel. When did they start calling him Shazam?

Shazam is a stupid ****** name.
His name was Captain Marvel originally. Then after DC acquired him after some time they lost the trademark to his name. Then Marvel created Mar-Vell and the Captain Marvel title. They had it for years. DC had a chance to take it back after the Captain Marvel title with Genis-Vell was canceled in the late 90s but didn't. Then very recently Marvel made Ms. Marvel Captain Marvel and when DC rebooted with New 52 and wanted to bring back their Captain Marvel in to the limelight they were forced to call him Shazam.

Yeah the confusion was there when I first heard of him. Real question, what did they change the rest of the Marvel Family to?
Nothing. Most of them aint really established. I guess they're still called the Marvel family, as awkward as that is in DC :lol:

Last edited:
I think he means what happened to people named Mary Marvel and others who had "Marvel" in their name. Is she Mary Shazam?

With good reviews Id see that movie. Saw the animated one and Black Adam reminds me of Apocalypse with a different agenda so I **** with him.

Last edited:
Not sure, I do think they still call her Mary Marvel or just Mary if it's implied they are talking about her.

View media item 1095811

Did Iron Man matter in 08?

Iron man did matter in 08, he's always mattered, because he was one of Marvels flagship heroes. I like the guardians but have never been too fond of them. I'm not one of these people that's gonna act like the guardians have always been loved or are the coolest heroes. This movie will make them look great and integrate them into main stream comic stardom but before last years comic com who was even mentioning the Guardians in any comic shop? I only knew 2 people who read any of their comics but I'm not too keen on many Marvels cosmic heroes, they're a little cheesy to me

Last edited:
How's the new 52 going? I stopped right after Damien got the axe :smh:

The only two things I am reading:

Batman - Glad Zero year JUST finished. :smh: It was nowhere near on par with the pre Zero Year stuff.

Batwoman - Stopped reading when they cut off the creative team, presumably because of DC's hate for unconventional characters (i.e. blacks, gays, latins or anyone without blue eyes) but the first 23 issues with the original creative team was on point.

Iron man did matter in 08, he's always mattered, because he was one of Marvels flagship heroes. I like the guardians but have never been too fond of them. I'm not one of these people like the guardians have always been loved. This movie will make them look great and integrate them into main stream comic stardom but before last years comic com who was even mentioning the Guardians in any comic shop? I only knew 2 people who read any of their comics but I'm not too keen on many Marvels cosmic heroes, they're a little cheesy to me

Ironman was loved by who? All 12,000 of his fans?

Last edited:
Ironman was a nobody before RDJR.

Nobody should pretend otherwise. I scoffed when I heard the plans for IM, Cap, and Thor. Comics wise he was still a nobody as far as his solo title goes. He got some recognition around the time of Civil War and his Ellis' Extremis arc.
How's the new 52 going? I stopped right after Damien got the axe :smh:
Stopped reading Batman after the disappointing end to Death of The Family.

Left Batwoman with the creative team getting the boot.

The event with the Crime Syndicate got old quick. I still haven't read the end.

Stopped JLA when they had them move to Canada and renamed it JLU.

Stopped Earth 2 when they gave Robinson the boot. He's at Marvel now.

DC got me to stop reading their New 52 books quick.

Last edited:

9fE7BK.gif

Ha. Perfect gif for that. Swagtista [emoji]128526[/emoji].

Iron man was a nobody before RDJ?

Interesting... Me and Ghostface Killah disagree

Last edited:
Before 2008, iron man was not a mainstream hero. I remember this clearly. It was the movie that made him popular.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to explain this same thing to guardians of the galaxy fans in 6 yrs. . 'see kids, before the first movie came out, no one knew who TF star lord was..'

Last edited:
Iron man did matter in 08, he's always mattered, because he was one of Marvels flagship heroes. I like the guardians but have never been too fond of them. I'm not one of these people that's gonna act like the guardians have always been loved or are the coolest heroes. This movie will make them look great and integrate them into main stream comic stardom but before last years comic com who was even mentioning the Guardians in any comic shop? I only knew 2 people who read any of their comics but I'm not too keen on many Marvels cosmic heroes, they're a little cheesy to me

View media item 1095811
Ohhhhhkay. Iron Man didn't matter before 08. Period. No one cared about him like they do now. You will get an anonymous agreement about that. Of course his seven fans before 08 will disagree.

Last edited:
Before 2008, iron man was not a mainstream hero. I remember this clearly. It was the movie that made him popular.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to explain this same thing to guardians of the galaxy fans in 6 yrs. . 'see kids, before the first movie came out, no one knew who TF star lord was..'

They'll say he was a guy named Andy on Earth and worked for Amy Poehler.

A very plausible conversation before may 2008:

A: You want to see that new iron man movie coming out?

B: maybe, it looks kinda cool. It looks like it night be kinda corny though if they do it wrong. A billionaire in a flying suit. How are they going to pull this off?

A: Trust me. If there's anyone who can do it, it's RDJ, he's the goods

B: Didnt he do drugs? Isn't he washed up? Wasn't he in rehab for forever? When was the last time he did a movie?! I don't know, they probably should've picked somebody else, anybody but him

June 2008:

A: RDJ DA GAWD

B: RDJ DA GAWD

Last edited:
View media item 1095811
Ohhhhhkay. Iron Man didn't matter before 08. Period. No one cared about him like they do now. You will get an anonymous agreement about that. Of course his seven fans before 08 will disagree.

Iron man may not have "mattered" to casual movie goers and those that aren't really into comics but I PROMISE you he was a well known hero. People may not have known who happy hogan is or have ever heard of "Demon in a bottle" but I could've went to any Toys R Us in '03, '04, '05 and find iron man action figures for kids. He's had and appeared in multiple marvel cartoons with the other "popular" marvel heroes like Hulk and Spiderman since the mid 60's. Now I ask you when did you ever see any Groot toys for children? Any Rocket Raccoon appearances in a cartoon or anything before 2011? Guardians have been out since the 70's and got a revival in '08 and still weren't relevant until Kevin Feige became obsessed with them and capcom followed marvels plans to make rocket and nova playable characters in their ever so popular crossover fighting game. Their are plenty of heroes that were synonymous with Marvel before they started dropping huge budget films. I swear iron man was one. I swear the Guardians weren't one

A very plausible conversation before may 2008:

A: You want to see that new iron man movie coming out?

B: maybe, it looks kinda cool. It looks like it night be kinda corny though if they do it wrong. A billionaire in a flying suit. How are they going to pull this off?

A: Trust me. If there's anyone who can do it, it's RDJ, he's the goods

B: Didnt he do drugs? Isn't he washed up? Wasn't he in rehab for forever? When was the last time he did a movie?! I don't know, they probably should've picked somebody else, anybody but him

June 2008:

A: RDJ DA GAWD

B: RDJ DA GAWD

Yes, the iron man comic and his relatable titular character that was arrogant and addicted to depressants was the perfect role for RDJ to play in a film and this SAVED his career. Nobody was checking for RDJ before iron man. RDJ is cool now because of iron man, not the other way around

Last edited:
Iron man may not have "mattered" to casual movie goers and those that aren't really into comics but I PROMISE you he was a well known hero. People may not have known who happy hogan is or have ever heard of "Demon in a bottle" but I could've went to any Toys R Us in '03, '04, '05 and find iron man action figures for kids. He's had and appeared in multiple marvel cartoons with the other "popular" marvel heroes like Hulk and Spiderman since the mid 60's. Now I ask you when did you ever see any Groot toys for children? Any Rocket Raccoon appearances in a cartoon or anything before 2011? Guardians have been out since the 70's and got a revival in '08 and still weren't relevant until Kevin Feige became obsessed with them and capcom followed marvels plans to make rocket and nova playable characters in their ever so popular crossover fighting game. Their are plenty of heroes that were synonymous with Marvel before they started dropping huge budget films. I swear iron man was one. I swear the Guardians weren't one

Yes, the iron man comic and his relatable titular character that was arrogant and addicted to depressants was the perfect role for RDJ to play in a film and this SAVED his career. Nobody was checking for RDJ before iron man. RDJ is cool now because of iron man, not the other way around

dude it doesn't matter what we the comic readers think. like at all.

nobody knew who iron man was in the mainstream, and the movie, and the stregth of RDJ sold them.

all that matters now is the movie and the casting, because other than Spiderman/batman/superman/x-men no one is going to see a movie of the strength of their comic book notoriety. :lol:

It really doesn't matter if Iron Man had a die hard cult following prior to the movie release. Of course, he did. He had to have a loyal following to be around as a character all these years prior to 2008.

Casual fan interest matters. Cuz they are always going to outnumber the die hards.

Last edited:
The comics basically amount to a Research and Development arm pf the movie studios.

stories that pop will be considered for film story lines. regardless of thje historical popularity of the charcters.

Im hoping we will get to see the recent 3 thors god butcher story line on film eventually.

Old King Thor :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom