Haitian Jack (Strange but possibly true tales in hip hop)

Back in the late 80's and early 90's gangstas didn't want to be rappers, they wanted to extort rappers.

This represented a pretty big paradigm shift in the music business. In the 80's, the G's around the way looked at rappers with the side-eye.

They were dudes that were from the same hood, that were doing all this music and running around like stars, but they weren't making any REAL money comparitively.

As rap exploded in the late 80's, early 90's, rappers did start to make real money. And those same G's started to move into the music business.

There are a LOT of dudes that are in the music industry today that put out MASSIVE rap records in the 90's that won't touch rap now. And they will tell you the reason for that is that the goons jumped in.

And they ran a LOT of people out of the rap game that couldn't handle the pressure.

Shawn Pen :lol:......I remember him as Little Shawn, of "Hickies On Your Chest" fame.....

There are a LOT of dudes that are in the music industry today that put out MASSIVE rap records in the 90's that won't touch rap now. And they will tell you the reason for that is that the goons jumped in.

And they ran a LOT of people out of the rap game that couldn't handle the pressure.
Interesting. Like who?

Interesting. Like who?

Mostly executives and label owners. If you look at certain labels that were once big in hip hop/rap (mostly indies), a lot of them haven't released any in ages.

Tommy Boy is probably the biggest example. They even had a clothing line at one point that was aimed at the hip hop audience.

And Mase :lol:

Last edited:
Except the part about him being a thug. He was more of a thug spokesman/motivational speaker.

Last edited:
Mostly executives and label owners. If you look at certain labels that were once big in hip hop/rap (mostly indies), a lot of them haven't released any in ages.

Tommy Boy is probably the biggest example. They even had a clothing line at one point that was aimed at the hip hop audience.

And Mase :lol:
\\

I remember my man Coo Coo Cal got signed to them right before the label went under. I pretty much knew even back then that was the end of "milwaukee rappers"..... Ahh well at Rico Love claims the city.

Funny how Haitian jack had his hands in everyone's pockets I would be surprised in 10yrs this becomes a big movie w all the ties he had and connections

I appreciated this quote in the Shawn Pen interview

See, when you dealing with street dudes, man, there’s a whole ‘nother mentality that the average person can’t understand. It’s just like that whole snitching thing. Yo, dude, if your mother gets mugged, and she’s never done anything illegal, and she’s worked all her life and she’s retired, and she gets mugged and she goes and picks out [her mugger from a lineup], that’s not [snitching]. She’s not a rat. She’s not snitching. Like, she’s not a criminal, how could she be accused of snitching? So you got a bunch of people talking about that that don’t know anything about that. And I don’t respect that.

I appreciated this quote in the Shawn Pen interview

See, when you dealing with street dudes, man, there’s a whole ‘nother mentality that the average person can’t understand. It’s just like that whole snitching thing. Yo, dude, if your mother gets mugged, and she’s never done anything illegal, and she’s worked all her life and she’s retired, and she gets mugged and she goes and picks out [her mugger from a lineup], that’s not [snitching]. She’s not a rat. She’s not snitching. Like, she’s not a criminal, how could she be accused of snitching? So you got a bunch of people talking about that that don’t know anything about that. And I don’t respect that.

Pretty much my thoughts on the term "hater".

What started as the term "player hater" and it's definition has been bastardized to the point where a "hater" is just someone who disagrees with you or doesn't like you.

Even though you may be a fool or unlikeable. HA!

Last edited:
This represented a pretty big paradigm shift in the music business. In the 80's, the G's around the way looked at rappers with the side-eye.

They were dudes that were from the same hood, that were doing all this music and running around like stars, but they weren't making any REAL money comparitively.

As rap exploded in the late 80's, early 90's, rappers did start to make real money. And those same G's started to move into the music business.

Shawn Pen :lol:......I remember him as Little Shawn, of "Hickies On Your Chest" fame.....

Its funny you say that. Take a look at the West (I don't know about now) and how the hood dudes made they way in. Most of the independent labels you see (Thizz, Sick Wid It, Livewire) most of those dudes got one foot if not both firmly planted in the streets. And like you said its not the rappers, they don't have the money, its the heads of these labels who got they money by hook or crook and decided to get into the music.

I used to work with alot of artists in the bay and it was funny to me, cause you would have guys with only a small following, but they had the money, cars, women like they were big time and thats was due to the people behind him (the real gangsters with money).

Thizz :smh:

Its funny you say that. Take a look at the West (I don't know about now) and how the hood dudes made they way in. Most of the independent labels you see (Thizz, Sick Wid It, Livewire) most of those dudes got one foot if not both firmly planted in the streets. And like you said its not the rappers, they don't have the money, its the heads of these labels who got they money by hook or crook and decided to get into the music.

I used to work with alot of artists in the bay and it was funny to me, cause you would have guys with only a small following, but they had the money, cars, women like they were big time and thats was due to the people behind him (the real gangsters with money).

Right. Look at Suge and Eazy as well.

Once these guys felt they could make real paper in music, they rushed the door. Became label "owners", managers etc.

So not only do they make money off music, but if they still have one foot in the street, they can also wash a lot of money that way as well.

Right. Look at Suge and Eazy as well.

Once these guys felt they could make real paper in music, they rushed the door. Became label "owners", managers etc.

So not only do they make money off music, but if they still have one foot in the street, they can also wash a lot of money that way as well.

Man I got some stories when I get time I'ma post some for yall about this **** in Cali :smh:

My good friend did some graphic work with the Thizz Ent. dudes and all of them except Kilo are pimping in Vegas and Diggs is on that powder.

mean.gif
 lol

Back
Top Bottom