Halal Stand on 53rd and 6th Appreciation

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

It's a yogurt/cucumber based sauce of Greek origin.

Yep, it's called Tzatziki. Stuff is so good, I had a Falafel gyro with extra Tzatziki for lunch today. Too good man.
The white sauce at 53rd and 6th is NOT tzatziki sauce. The halal sauce is mayo based.

And yes, the cart across the street (the south east corner of the intersection) is the same food.

Yeah it's not Tzatziki. It's definitely mayo based. I've heard people say there is probably some ranch dressing in there as well.

And the cart across the street is NOT the same food.....I don't need more people figuring that out.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Yep, it's called Tzatziki. Stuff is so good, I had a Falafel gyro with extra Tzatziki for lunch today. Too good man.
The white sauce at 53rd and 6th is NOT tzatziki sauce. The halal sauce is mayo based.

And yes, the cart across the street (the south east corner of the intersection) is the same food.
Yeah it's not Tzatziki. It's definitely mayo based. I've heard people say there is probably some ranch dressing in there as well.

And the cart across the street is NOT the same food.....I don't need more people figuring that out.

sick.gif

mayo based?
I've had these all over NY and never one with a mayo based sauce.

I think all the fatties may just eb attracted to the mayo.
laugh.gif

Similar to how McD's and BK fry their fries with beef flavor additives in the oil.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

justhotkicks wrote:

Destination Kicks wrote:

sick.gif

mayo based?
I've had these all over NY and never one with a mayo based sauce.

I think all the fatties may just eb attracted to the mayo.
laugh.gif

Similar to how McD's and BK fry their fries with beef flavor additives in the oil.

%%+? I didnt know that. I even used to work there.

During the day the 53rd and 6th cart is in a different place than in the picture dirty posted. It's on the opposite side of 6th ave (opposite the hilton).They also have a 2nd cart during the day on 53 and 7th in the far left corner if your walking from 6th. You can tell its them by the yellow bags with redwriting on them or the yellow shirts (the fake guys during the day also started wearing yellow shirts but don't have writting on them). Their umbrellasalso say like halal guys or something.

They are the most popular cart but haven't been the best for some time...Check out midtownlunch.com for some of the better carts...Also the venddy's

For those wondering, if it's a halal stand, it may have mayo but mid-east and south asian foods use a lot of plain yogurt in foods so that may be the mainingredient to that base sauce... just a guess (for all i know it is 90% mayo at that stand
laugh.gif
)
definitiely NOT greek based

This appreciation post has been a long time coming
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
But the guys directly on the other side of 6th avenue wear the same shirts andserve the same food.

Originally Posted by ptrakarn23

Originally Posted by Nako XL

"ok $6."

"$6?? son, you ain't even give me double meat or nothing!"

"$6."

"i'll give you 5..."

"$6!!"

"Look man, derka derka $5."

"what?? derka derka what??"

"derka derka, muhammed, jihad...?"

"ohhhhh, derka derka derka. $5!"

oh %*++.....
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by UrbenYouth

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Curious--

How does one go about becoming a vendor of Halal food. I mean, first, you clearly need to know how to make the food and all. What I am interested in knowing is whether there are rules on who can become a vendor. Do you need a license, is it some kind council and/or society of vendors. I ask because it looks like a very lucrative business venture and I would think more people would try to exploit, or rather--invest, in the opportunity/business.

I was reading that they need to pay rent on their locations and popular locations have a very expensive rent. The hot dog stand in front of the Museum of Natural History, for instance, pays almost $600,000 a year to have that spot. It's crazy. Yeah and I'm pretty sure you need a license.

Wait...so that would mean that these guys are clearing minimum $600,000 a year...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And that's for the hot dog cart, which charges what--$2.50 for a dog. These figures make you wonder just how much these Halal vendors are clearing now considering the majority charge anywhere from $5 to $8 a platter.

Business is struggling now though. It's pretty serious though. Here is an article similar to the one I read.
http://blog.taragana.com/n/nyc-hot-...utside-museum-over-whopping-rent-bill-134619/

You guys talking about the stand near Jamaica Hospital. are you guys talking about the guy that is infront of Planet fitness? I've never tried it but itdoes smell really good.

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!!!! Is the one across the street the same or not?? Dont tell me Ive been getting duped this whole time!!!
smh.gif

Ive always hear it was the same. It taste mad good too, so *%+??

you guys are killing me haha.. never tried the joint on 53rd and 6th yet, but this thread got me in the mood for it. Only place i tried by me in brooklyn.It's alright but im sure theres better out there. Any1 know of any good spots in brooklyn? i dont even get a dam pita at this place
laugh.gif
(ave u and 16thbtw)

If you didn't know. The one across street is the same food/same people minuse the lines. I don't ever wait on that stupid line. There are a few but theone that you walk up towards the line, across the street is the same. Don't waste your time waiting in that line, %%%$ is for tourists. I remember I tookmy cousin there and he wouldn't believe it's the same because people weren't waiting in line.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom