Half a million millenial men are missing from the labor market

Wanting to he paid enough for your work is a valid complaint. Not working because the pay isn't enough isn't.

We know what an entry level job is. The problem is like stated earlier, the high majority of entry level jobs want way too many requirements that make it go beyond an entry level job. The high majority of people aren't going to school expecting their degree to not land them a job. People aren't that dumb.

And employers are ripping you off. If you don't think that, you wilin. You're paid scraps compared to the profit that is made. While the standard of living goes up, wages barely rise with it.
But if they go beyond an entry level job, they must be hiring somebody. So it always comes down to, how do you make yourself more appealing to the company than the person they want to hire. A lot of it has to do with colleges not really prepping people properly for finding work.

Employers are paying you exactly what you are able to negotiate you are worth. Don't like it? Upgrade your skills and learn how to negotiate better. Blaming society for your own problems won't get you anywhere

But if they go beyond an entry level job, they must be hiring somebody. So it always comes down to, how do you make yourself more appealing to the company than the person they want to hire. A lot of it has to do with colleges not really prepping people properly for finding work.

Employers are paying you exactly what you are able to negotiate you are worth. Don't like it? Upgrade your skills and learn how to negotiate better. Blaming society for your own problems won't get you anywhere

Negotiating your salary is rarely successful and who is going to want to risk doing that in such a **** job market. You're right, blaming society won't do nothing, that doesn't mean there still isn't a problem.

Negotiating your salary is rarely successful and who is going to want to risk doing that in such a **** job market. You're right, blaming society won't do nothing, that doesn't mean there still isn't a problem.
So how do people who move from entry level jobs into high paying jobs pull it off? There are hundreds of books and videos where people can learn hard and soft skills that will make them more valuable and therefore be able to demand higher pay, most people are just not willing to put in the extra effort.

If you don't want to work for a big corporation, join a startup, if you don't want that create something of value and start your own business. There are lots of options to make money if you work hard and work smart.

Best thing is to work smart, not hard. Have a side hustle or alternative means of generating income outside of the work paycheck.

The employer has all the power, best thing employees can do is to minimize their dependency on their job. Some of the people that do all that extra unnecessary stuff working extra hours, working on their days off etc do it because they need the job and are in fear of losing their job.

At my current job, it’s a few older heads up there who’s wife or husband makes good money so the job is moreso secondary income to them. They’re so laid back and relaxed when at work and their approach is such a healthy approach to have.

Until employees as a whole smarten up and play hardball when it comes to wages and benefits in larger numbers, the company is going to have employees by the balls fighting and competing for jobs which aren’t worth all that competition for.

Best to do whatever you can to have options and leverage in this ultra competitive job market.

So how do people who move from entry level jobs into high paying jobs pull it off? There are hundreds of books and videos where people can learn hard and soft skills that will make them more valuable and therefore be able to demand higher pay, most people are just not willing to put in the extra effort.

If you don't want to work for a big corporation, join a startup, if you don't want that create something of value and start your own business. There are lots of options to make money if you work hard and work smart.

Depends on the job. Most people get bumped up because of how long they're there. I don't believe hard work solely equates to rising up the ranks because we all know that most supervisors are **** at their jobs and we wonder how they got in the place they're in.

Yup, work a job if you need to but save some money and put in the research work to start generating passive income.

When you find your first few jobs, focus on learning as much as you can and building a story around your career to really sell yourself and stand out from the others. Usually working for smaller companies/startups will mean you are required to get your hands on a bunch of different types of tasks allowing you to learn a lot and also prove yourself to be someone that they cant replace easily. When talking about potential salary, always give a 5-10k range at least. Startups might even be open to giving you equity if they can't pay you as much as a bigger company can.

Depends on the job. Most people get bumped up because of how long they're there. I don't believe hard work solely equates to rising up the ranks because we all know that most supervisors are **** at their jobs and we wonder how they got in the place they're in.
It is hard work and smart work. If you are stuck in the same job for years doing the same thing, you are not working smart enough. Take a look at your coworkers who did manage to get a promotion or a better gig at a different place and try to break down what they did differently.

So I get a job while you sit at home unemployed

This mentality of wanting everything to be easy is just flat out lazy and entitled.
You conveniently fail to explain why its lazy and entitled to want a fair wage and not have to devote all your time to a company. I am fortunately employed because I have a high demand skill set.

You conveniently fail to explain why its lazy and entitled to want a fair wage and not have to devote all your time to a company. I am fortunately employed because I have a high demand skill set.
Because people have different views of what constitutes a fair wage. If someone is willing to put up with less pay and extra hours to get their career started, why is that wrong?

300-500 a month for student loans. 800 a month for an apt w/o a roomate. If you finance a car 300 a month for a car note about another 150 a month for full insurance. Then there's gas, utilities, laundry, food, phone
Thats about 2200 - 2500 a month in bills alone and that's if you dont have a drug habit.. Which as a millenial you find of need. To cover you need to make at least 3000 a month.
Entry level jobs paying you anywhere from 15-20 hr w/exp or a degree if you're lucky.

Most of these pull yourself up bum type responses translate into
Just be White ..... or a minority female

TBH the state I currently live in I moved here with a STEM degree... didn't stop HR from calling me derogatory terms based on my appearance this was when the recession hit

Currently getting another STEM degree

If you already have 300-500 in student loans, why get another STEM degree and pay a school money to learn a skill?

Why not get a roommate to reduce rent costs?

Is there a cheaper way for transport that won't cost you 450 + gas per month?

That is a very luxurious entry level job lifestyle

Because people have different views of what constitutes a fair wage. If someone is willing to put up with less pay and extra hours to get their career started, why is that wrong?
Because it sets the precedent that this is acceptable, and it leads to the situation we're in where wages have become stagnant. I don't think I should have to dedicate my life to work just because someone else is willing to do that.

Because it sets the precedent that this is acceptable, and it leads to the situation we're in where wages have become stagnant. I don't think I should have to dedicate my life to work just because someone else is willing to do that.
So you think you deserve a job even though someone else is willing to work harder and for less money for it. How is that not being lazy and entitled?

Especially when there are people immigrating from countries where what you consider to be not enough and too much work is seen as an amazing opportunity beyond anything they could imagine back home.

What is the reason a company should hire you?

A Federal jobs guarantee is not a take over of the means of production. Instead it would force bosses to do what they have demanded of workers, to step up and do better.

sounds good on paper except it would unfairly compete with private companies, which would cannablize w/e job people were doin cuz it wouldn't be able to complete with da government option.

Part of the problem is that it’s an “employers market” so to speak. People are fighting to work for them and not the other way around. Now they get to cut benefits and pay

not anymore, now there's way morw jobs than people looking for em which sure enough pushes wages up to find good talent, or to poach em from other places.

So you think you deserve a job even though someone else is willing to work harder and for less money for it. How is that not being lazy and entitled?

Especially when there are people immigrating from countries where what you consider to be not enough and too much work is seen as an amazing opportunity beyond anything they could imagine back home.

What is the reason a company should hire you?
I think I should be able to make a living without dedicating my life to a company. Take a look at the definitions for the words "lazy" and "entitled" and let me know how they're applicable to that.

Do you think outsourcing and automation are good for the United States?

I think I should be able to make a living without dedicating my life to a company. Take a look at the definitions for the words "lazy" and "entitled" and let me know how they're applicable to that.

Do you think outsourcing and automation are good for the United States?
Well if someone is willing to work harder and ask for less, by definition they are less lazy and less entitled than you are.

There are pros and cons, outsourcing and automation are great for creating cheaper and better products for consumers which means the overall quality of life is higher than it was 30-40 years ago. Of course it also results in a loss of jobs for people in the US, but there are still plenty of jobs to go around. It is just the nature of living in one of the greatest countries in the world, people from all over the world want to come to get a better life and are usually willing to do more and put up with more than a lot of people who have grown up with a sense of entitlement thinking they need to have an amazing job and amazing life right out of college.

If you owned a business, and had to choose between two equally qualified people would you hire the cheaper one or the more expensive one?

sounds good on paper except it would unfairly compete with private companies, which would cannablize w/e job people were doin cuz it wouldn't be able to complete with da government option.

If we had enforced anti trust laws over the last 40 years, we would have more competition among private sector employers and we’d have higher wages. Creating a public option for employment would offset the lower of wages due to consolidation among companies and the monopsonic power which they have come wield.

And what would the government hire all these people to do? Where would the money needed to pay all these people come from?

And what would the government hire all these people to do? Where would the money needed to pay all these people come from?

We need to fix infrastructure, we need more teachers, we need more teacger’s assistants we need more social workers, we need more public defenders, we need public civil litigators, we need a lot roles to be filled so that we can have a decent and humane society for everyone. We get people to do those jobs for 15-30 dollars an hour (plus student debt forgiveness if applicable). It forces private sector bosses to pay their workers more (don’t telling me that corporate America can’t afford it, they are taking in record profits) and it also makes it easier for businesses to make more in revenue because unemployment would be near 0 and wages and disposable incomes would be increasing.

So we’d pay for it the same way we pay for everything else we do, we print the money and if inflation is a problem, we collect some taxes.

We need to fix infrastructure, we need more teachers, we need more teacger’s assistants we need more social workers, we need more public defenders, we need public civil litigators, we need a lot roles to be filled so that we can have a decent and humane society for everyone. We get people to do those jobs for 15-30 dollars an hour (plus student debt forgiveness if applicable). It forces private sector bosses to pay their workers more (don’t telling me that corporate America can’t afford it, they are taking in record profits) and it also makes it easier for businesses to make more in revenue because unemployment would be near 0 and wages and disposable incomes would be increasing.

So we’d pay for it the same way we pay for everything else we do, we print the money and if inflation is a problem, we collect some taxes.
So basically you want America to adopt the Venezuela playbook :lol:

A lot of americans seem to lack empathy and there's definitely a culture of victim blaming in this country. The hypocrisy is that the majority of people who judge others for not having a job got their job through connections, yet they look down on people without connections who have to find opportunities the hard way by sending out dozens of resumes and filling out bs on job boards and end up getting these hard jobs with sky high turnover rates at crooked companies that are trying to get Americans to race towards the bottom and compete with undocumented immigrant labor

Back
Top Bottom