Has Allen Iverson's career been underrated?

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Attitude does not effect what the man HAS done on the court.

He's neither under or overrated...

His attitude has affected what he has done on the court. You don't think someone's attitude can have an effect on their success? Think about yourstatement.

AI and Gil have the exact same game and I think he is still as talented (or more) as Gil is right now....why ain't Arenas coming off the bench?

He's the product of "What happens when analysts and critics DON'T know what they are talking about" syndrome.

Great player, you couldn't ask for more from the dude, the Knicks are idiots for not picking him up.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

AI and Gil have the exact same game and I think he is still as talented (or more) as Gil is right now....why ain't Arenas coming off the bench?
Not one person here is questioning AI's talent or game. He just refuses to adjust to the team. The team had to adjust to him earlier in hiscareer by shipping off potential second fiddles for role players who fit AI's style play. Now he's in the later stages of his career, where teamscan't afford to build a team around him without sacrificing young talent. It isn't worth it for them anymore.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Because he signed a $111M contract and is 27
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Fro B Giant

His attitude has affected what he has done on the court. You don't think someone's attitude can have an effect on their success? Think about your statement.
laugh.gif
Okay...

Has Iverson always been successful ON THE COURT? Yes.

Has Iverson always had a poor attitude OFF THE COURT? Yes

So do you have a point? No.

We're not talking about a player who had a poor attitude which prevented them from being great...we're talking about a player who many agree is a surething Hall of Famer.
Iverson has had one hell of a career if he never plays another minute in the NBA.

So think about your statement.

Originally Posted by Fro B Giant

His attitude has affected what he has done on the court. You don't think someone's attitude can have an effect on their success? Think about your statement.
laugh.gif
Okay...

Has Iverson always been successful ON THE COURT? Yes.

Has Iverson always had a poor attitude OFF THE COURT? Yes

So do you have a point? No.

We're not talking about a player who had a poor attitude which prevented them from being great...we're talking about a player who many agree is a sure thing Hall of Famer.
Iverson has had one hell of a career if he never plays another minute in the NBA.

So think about your statement.

He has NOT always been successful on the court.
laugh.gif

And yes, we ARE talking about a player who had a poor attitude which prevented him from being great.

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif

And yes, we ARE talking about a player who had a poor attitude which prevented him from being great.
So now you're trying to tell me that Iverson wasn't a great player? I've heard it all now
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

So now you're trying to tell me that Iverson wasn't a great player? I've heard it all now
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
What makes him GREAT? He was really good, but I wouldnt call him great. No titles, only came close once (which he carried that team himself) andwas one of the most selfish players in decades.

How is he great?

There's something called individual success, and then there's another thing called team success.

Look em up.

There's something called individual success, and then there's another thing called team success.

Look em up.

Individual success and team success makes you great. Big fish in a small pond does nothing.

Iverson was a big chucker.

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
What makes him GREAT? He was really good, but I wouldnt call him great. No titles, only came close once (which he carried that team himself) and was one of the most selfish players in decades.

How is he great?

Just because he has a piss poor attitude doesn't take away anything he's accomplished. He's a great player to suggest otherwise is quite stupid

I think he's greatly overrated.
Edit: Actually, now that I think about it he's the most overrated player of this era.
/thread

And whoever said he's pound for pound the best is
pimp.gif
some crack.

He was a one man wrecking machine at 150lbs soaking wet. Yeah, he's appreciated.

But that said, the tail end of his career has been a disaster. Too bad he couldn't keep his ego in check.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
What makes him GREAT? He was really good, but I wouldnt call him great. No titles, only came close once (which he carried that team himself) and was one of the most selfish players in decades.

How is he great?

Just because he has a piss poor attitude doesn't take away anything he's accomplished. He's a great player to suggest otherwise is quite stupid

His attitude on the court and the way he carried himself directly affects who he was as a player. He was an awful teammate, took HORRIBLE shots, refuses tolisten to any coach other than Larry Brown and simply did not care about the game. He was a GOOD player, but in no way was he even close to GREAT. Save thatterm for people who actually were great. Calling Iverson great is a slap in the face to all the other players who truly were great.

Theres a good reason why hes only refered to as "The best little man to play the game". He wasnt an all time great, so the media needed a reason togive him praise. Thats what they came up with. hes not called "one of the best to every play", and hes not even listed among the best players athis position. His term of endearment had to be fabricated.

Bottom line is he was good, realllly good but if you had to start a team Allen Iversons name would be no where near your list of guys to choose. If you did,you wouldnt be winning a thing. He's a great poster boy for " me first, team second"

Iverson is a great player and his career isn't even close to being underrated.

My only knock on him is that he got a Ho attitude, just like Kobe at times.

Great scorer, not a great player. Dude could score whenever he wanted but did not make anybody else better.

AI was one of my favorite players ever. ill miss his early 2000s run.

People hate on him for obvious reasons . but in that Finals AI out shinned kobe in every way possible.

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

How is he great?

durden 7, you are obviously stupid. Any avid basketball fan (or any person who claims to know/watch basketball) will tell you that Iverson was great. Hell,maybe even greater than great. Suggesting anything other than this, would be terribly dumb.
Now, to say that he isn't great because he didn't win a ring, is of course, a very dumb (and common) argument. there are many great players whohaven't won rings, and there are many mediocre/lame ones who have won one.
In his prime, Allen Iverson was the best player in the league--dude is shorter than 6 feet, and was taking on and abusing guys 6 or 7 inches taller, and 50-70pounds heavier than him. Sure, he took a lot of shots, but really, he was surrounded with garbage for a lot of his career. He wasn't afraid to drive tothe basket like a lot players are these days, nor was he afraid to actually shoot over people.
To me, in his prime, Iverson was like a shorter version of Kobe Bryant, but a more skilled version also. Yall must have forgot how great dude actually was. Infact, I'd probably rate him as the 2nd best player of the late 90s-2000s, after Kobe.
To make the claim that Iverson wasn't great cannot be justified by any means....unless you're some 12 year old kid from like madagascar, who justhappened to stumble across basketball two years ago, and as such, decided to adopt the celtics as your favorite team. Otherwise, you have no excuse for suchan outlandish statement.

I don't think AI is underrated. He was recognized for his accomplishments. League MVP, Scoring Champ, revolutionized NBA image/trends ala Cornrows, thesleeve, tattoos, yada yada. It's more like the what has he done lately. And lately I mean like 2003 and beyond, he's been The Cancer instead of TheAnswer. He never evolved his game. He relied primarily on his talent (finding a way to score) instead of working on other areas (being a leader, better passer,defender). If he would only evolve his game where he contributes in other ways like a Steve Nash or Chauncey Billups then he would certainly still be astarter. If AI ever realized that, then he wouldn't be where is right now.

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

How is he great?

durden 7, you are obviously stupid. Any avid basketball fan (or any person who claims to know/watch basketball) will tell you that Iverson was great. Hell, maybe even greater than great. Suggesting anything other than this, would be terribly dumb.
Now, to say that he isn't great because he didn't win a ring, is of course, a very dumb (and common) argument. there are many great players who haven't won rings, and there are many mediocre/lame ones who have won one.
In his prime, Allen Iverson was the best player in the league--dude is shorter than 6 feet, and was taking on and abusing guys 6 or 7 inches taller, and 50-70 pounds heavier than him. Sure, he took a lot of shots, but really, he was surrounded with garbage for a lot of his career. He wasn't afraid to drive to the basket like a lot players are these days, nor was he afraid to actually shoot over people.
To me, in his prime, Iverson was like a shorter version of Kobe Bryant, but a more skilled version also. Yall must have forgot how great dude actually was. In fact, I'd probably rate him as the 2nd best player of the late 90s-2000s, after Kobe.
To make the claim that Iverson wasn't great cannot be justified by any means....unless you're some 12 year old kid from like madagascar, who just happened to stumble across basketball two years ago, and as such, decided to adopt the celtics as your favorite team. Otherwise, you have no excuse for such an outlandish statement.
Greater than great? What the hell is that? Dont call me stupid and make ignorant statements like that.

Iverson was the best player in the league in his prime?? He was the best player in 2000-2001 and thats it.

What does his size have ANYTHING to do with this? People talk him up just because hes small when that has no bearing on this at all. He was under 6 feet, ok,so what? He doesnt get any more credit because he was under 6 feet.

Players now are afraid to drive to the basket? What NBA games are you watching?

More skilled than Kobe? You cant be serious. Im no Kobe fan by any means, but Iverson is no where near Kobes level. So Iverson is a shorter, more skilledKobe yet you rank him behind Kobe in the decade? I really hope youre adding rings into that comparison. If you are, it also nullifies your previous statementabout Iverson not winning a ring.

Iverson didnt have amazing players on his teams, but he didnt have scrubs every year either. He took the 2001 team on his back to the finals, but other thanthat he didnt take them anywhere.

If Iverson is great id love to know what you classify guys like Russel, Wilt, Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Bird as. Iverson isnt even sniffing their level.

Im obviously not the only one who thinks hes overrated. He had soooo much potential, showed signs of if but blew it because he's dense in the head.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

How is he great?

His attitude on the court and the way he carried himself directly affects who he was as a player. He was an awful teammate, took HORRIBLE shots, refuses to listen to any coach other than Larry Brown and simply did not care about the game. He was a GOOD player, but in no way was he even close to GREAT. Save that term for people who actually were great. Calling Iverson great is a slap in the face to all the other players who truly were great.

Theres a good reason why hes only refered to as "The best little man to play the game". He wasnt an all time great, so the media needed a reason to give him praise. Thats what they came up with. hes not called "one of the best to every play", and hes not even listed among the best players at his position. His term of endearment had to be fabricated.

Bottom line is he was good, realllly good but if you had to start a team Allen Iversons name would be no where near your list of guys to choose. If you did, you wouldnt be winning a thing. He's a great poster boy for " me first, team second"

LOL so many fallacies in this post. If this is what you truly believe in your heart nothing I am gonna say will change it

Back
Top Bottom