Have Jordans jumped the shark?

They've almost become too commercialized and over-saturated.
They used to be very exclusive, and popular to a certain culture, and I think that added to the mystique. They still represent expensive footwear/style in most cases.
They hurt themselves when they started making the jumpman, watered down joints. I get that they wanted more money but it was kind of a sellout move. Reminds me when Facebook went from college students only to any and everyone.

You have to be kidding.

When were Jordans ever exclusive?

Not commercialized? The sneaker that they used to have national commercials for, featuring the most popular athlete on the planet?

How have they hurt themselves? They have a bigger share of the market and are making more money than ever.

ive never understood how this is something to be ashamed about. JB/ Nike is not the first or only brand to have a product where its success spans decades and people are loyal to it.

actually i do understand it, because largely people are sheep and let claims like this dictate their actions.

our parents
our grandparents
our aunts and uncles
they all have products that they've been loyal too since they were young

Kangol
Members Only jackets
Dooney/ Coach handbags, wallets, and purses
classic Polo shirts
classic Lacoste shirts

interesting that no one laughs at that.

you can buy the same basic Navy/ Red Polo for 30 years and no one bats an eye, i think that speaks volumes about the types of people quick to make these claims.

i understand the quality and pricing complaints with JB, aside from those if a person can afford it and dont care about quality why does it matter?
so what you are saying is you are a culture vulture

They used to be very exclusive, and popular to a certain culture, and I think that added to the mystique. They still represent expensive footwear/style in most cases.
They hurt themselves when they started making the jumpman, watered down joints. I get that they wanted more money but it was kind of a sellout move. Reminds me when Facebook went from college students only to any and everyone.

this only makes sense if you equate owning Jordans with wealth or status

3's weren't even da first sneaker with that midsole, it was...

nike-air-revolution-the-beatles-commercial-ad-lawsuit.jpg

not to mention they have air bubbles, and da nike air tabs.

do you realize how much of a ******* geek you sound like right now :lol:

nobody cares about this **** man

when they walk into the store they say "you got the new J's"

nobody walks in asking "yo you got the descendants of the Air Revolutions"

people are aware they are owned by nike but don't consider them nikes

it's a separate brand like converse

just because a few silhouettes have the swoosh or nike air doesn't mean people think of them as Nikes

giphy.gif

i never met anyone young or old who didn't know Jordans = Nikes

if they sport nike branding on da boxes, da shoes, etc. it is what it is... doesn't take a seasoned sneaker head to know that.

Converse IS a separate company own by Nike, Jordan isn't.

Converse style numbers dont even intersect nike/JBs ones.

Jordan's tapped into who we though was cool

At 27, part of why I wanted Jays when I was a kid was because the cats I looked up to had them

I have buddies my age with kids that are around 9-12, and their kids want Jays partially because they see older cats with them, though it's definitely died down a bit

But the same thing will happen when they get into their early 20s: they'll see shoes their parents wouldn't buy them, and will have the money to cop.

Then the following generation will see them. There will be some natural dilution in brand.

I feel that's the main reason why it'll stick around for a couple more generations.

But all the Jordans we care about are the ones we want them to put Nike air back on

You have to be kidding.

Not commercialized? The sneaker that they used to have national commercials for, featuring the most popular athlete on the planet?

How have they hurt themselves? They have a bigger share of the market and are making more money than ever.

Maybe limited is a better word to use instead of exclusive. 400 people outside, 12 pair to a store. That's going to create some allure because everyone wants it but only a few can get it. Not to mention the price.

And considering the price, yes, these can be looked at ad somewhat of a luxury item/status symbol;in reference to the other guy that quoted me.

As ugly as they are kids nowadays want the stars shoes they see on TV over Jordans. You got Hardens shoe selling out at $160 but I guess that's a bargain compared to Js.

They look decent for balling I guess but I was expecting them to be like $110. Curry's have gone up considerably over the years too. Kyrie is about the most affordable but they just regressed with the 3s.

The "off brands" Adidas/UA and more expensive than Nike signatures and selling better :lol:. WATTBA

Last edited:
I think of the Jordan Brand separately from Nike -Ye shrug

gotta be a young people thing...most of da memorable Jordan ads were part of da Nike Zeitgeist.

But all the Jordans we care about are the ones we want them to put Nike air back on

this.

even da XI's got nike air in da insoles again.

you can't go to Niketown to pick up Converse sneakers like u do with Jordans so I don't see this comparison...

guess some of ya bought that Team Jordan "brand Jordan" rhetoric whole cloth. :lol:

You have to be kidding.

gotta stress this too... million dollar ads too.

Jordans were for of their existence, WIDELY available...they were deemed exclusive cuz of their price points, and back then tgeir pinnacle of basketball tech/luxury not cuz of their quantity.

Last edited:

Hate to break it to you but you're no longer the target market. Jordan ain't marketing to mid 20s to 30s dudes.

Outside of these sneaker groups, people give less of a **** about that type of stuff.

Hate to break it to you but you're no longer the target market. Jordan ain't marketing to mid 20s to 30s dudes.

Outside of these sneaker groups, people give less of a **** about that type of stuff.
i agree.

asides from my age

JB priced me out of the target market.

I ****** around and ordered some tb3s last night drunk and high... lol. I clicked mad fast then was like "I haven't bought Jays in 7 or 8 years"... lol. Can't wait for them to come in

sad that that had to be pointed out

gotta be a young people thing...most of da memorable Jordan ads were part of da Nike Zeitgeist.
yeah see i probably wasnt even born when this was airing

by the time my generation got into jordans we were into them moreso bc of rappers than Jordan himself

To be honest with everyone the only jordan's i care about are the pairs that I seen him him win rings in 6,7,8,11,12,and 13s. Then the others that follow suit are only the ones that he laced up for the Bulls. The Wizards joints stunk.

btw lol at 190 being "on sale"...

JB is still wining

I remember saving up to buy them as a young ***** when they came out at 160...

what pairs are sitting in everyones mall so i have a general idea of what to expect next time i go to the mall...

i beg to differ, jacking up MSRP prices because there are packaging da kicks in heritage box design and harking back to da golden era are a classic Nostalgia grab cuz da Original fans have more disposable income.

da kiddies aint care bout nike air branding, da OGers were da ones clamoring for em.

Back
Top Bottom