HBO: "Watchmen"...Season 1 Discussion...Season 2 Up in the Air... :)

Wanna dislike white ppl, go watch this is us

I still can’t get past the first 20 mins.. you know how the story ends.. and it’s just going put you in a place you don’t need to be in

but I think every white person should be forced to watch it

Do y'all even understand how much of a mind**** this all is?

All this time I was waiting on a major Veidt/Manhattan reveal and the biggest twist of the show is the little race riot survivor that could.

And at the same time it's a MASSIVE retcon of the OG book that actually ****ing fits without squinting.

AND it's the biggest, take a step back and look at your delusions, deconstruction of the superhero genre at large.

What if the foundations of superheroes was simply opportunistic or overlooked white people mythologizing themselves based off black human beings seeming like superheroes to them.

But that simple truth being so unbearable existential, that it's better to erase all trace of it.

That his homosexuality could become public knowledge but his RACE couldn't, is so ****ing telling.

Gay? Deniable.

Jewish? Erasable.

Black? HOLD ON NOW... We can't do anything with THAT. Don't you go giving them ideas!

The police are meant to protect the public. But from whom? Superheroes are supposed to right wrongs, and save the world and defeat evil. But what if the world is evil? What if the wrongs are endemic to the people? What if right is simply leaving it all behind like Dr. Manhattan did?

What if the modern KKK was wearing masks, after their idol, Rorshach, who only wore one after his idol...a black man in whiteface.

Think of how old Superman and Batman comics are? What would white America in the 1930s even know what to make of a LeBron James. He'd be some freak King Kong sideshow to them, because if it's not white, it's a threat to the established hierarchy.

This show is EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
The POV hanging scene was intense.

Episode was awesome. Don't understand how this all gets tied up in 3 episodes whatsoever.
Yeah. A flashback episode, while a great one, just isn’t the best thing to do with 3 episodes left

Do y'all even understand how much of a mind**** this all is?

All this time I was waiting on a major Veidt/Manhattan reveal and the biggest twist of the show is the little race riot survivor that could.

And at the same time it's a MASSIVE retcon of the OG book that actually ****ing fits without squinting.

AND it's the biggest, take a step back and look at your delusions, deconstruction of the superhero genre at large.

What if the foundations of superheroes was simply opportunistic or overlooked white people mythologizing themselves based off black human beings seeming like superheroes to them.

But that simple truth being so unbearable existential, that it's better to erase all trace of it.

That his homosexuality could become public knowledge but his RACE couldn't, is so ****ing telling.

Gay? Shameful.

Liberal? Traitor.

Jewish? Invader.

Black? HOLD ON NOW... Don't you go giving them ideas!

The police are meant to protect the public. But from whom? Superheroes are supposed to right wrongs, and save the world and defeat evil. But what if the world is evil? What if the wrongs are endemic to the people? What if right is simply leaving it all behind like Dr. Manhattan did?

What if the modern KKK was wearing masks, after their idol, Rorshach, who only wore one after his idol...a black man in whiteface.

Think of how old Superman and Batman comics are? What would white America in the 1930s even know what to make of a LeBron James. He'd be some freak King Kong sideshow to them, because if it's not white, it's a threat to the established hierarchy.

This show is EVERYTHING.
U really have o negative blood???

This is 'Hodor = Hold the Door' level brilliance.

I don’t think hold the door was that brilliant at all.. sure it was cool enough

but like so many other things just means bran discovered he had powers to change the past and didn’t.. well except for ruining hodor’s life

with this we have a character heavily involved in the show and telling his story.. and we don’t know the larger impact of things told within his past story

I don’t think hold the door was that brilliant at all.. sure it was cool enough

but like so many other things just means bran discovered he had powers to change the past and didn’t.. well except for ruining hodor’s life

with this we have a character heavily involved in the show and telling his story.. and we don’t know the larger impact of things told within his past story
Wasn't that deep. :lol:

They both took something prominently hiding in plain sight and with a simple bit of backstory, both elevated and changed it and it's meaning forever.

Or not. :lol:

It does for me.

Wasn't that deep. :lol:

They both took something prominently hiding in plain sight and with a simple bit of backstory, both elevated and changed it and it's meaning forever.

Or not. :lol:

It does for me.

You literally, quite well, explained how well and the depth of what was done here

meanwhile the other one the more I think about it was another fumble of D&D not being able to swim on their own without the books

1574688646167.gif

Watchmen going down as GOAT superhero show. I’m calling it now.

I’ve read the OG book and last nights episode only reinforced how dope this story is.

While I don't know if it will be the greatest superhero show, the new wave of relatable, flawed superheroes is a rejuvenating take on the superhero world...

But hell, eps 6 in relation to real world reality was just too damn close to not consider it some of the best writing/story telling told in an episode of a TV series. Reminded me a lot of that feeling I felt during "free churros" on bojack

Highly debatable. I’d take Lindelof over Hawley.

Too much to digest over the last two episodes. I need to sit with both back to back.

I love how each episode has been able to pretty much focus on one character.

Sidenote: when I was wrestling with the idea of Calvin being Manhattan, I thought it could be a great allegory for how Jesus was whitewashed, based off of the way Veidt depicted Manhattan in his play. I think they managed to tell the same kind of angle to that story even better going through young Will Reeves.

Sidesidenote: Jovan Adepo (Leftovers alumni) killed it.

Legion is cool. The trick of it got old to me by s2.

One thing I like about this series is even though he doesn't approve, at all, this still feels like a part of Moore's world of Watchmen and still hits on some of the themes.

Back
Top Bottom