HBO's Series: Game of Thrones (4/17, 9:00-10:05 p.m. ET/PT)

I'm just breaking balls. I agree though. I like that no character is safe. I want to take on the novels, but I'm embroiled in the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough, hitting about 1000 pages a rip.

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

For the people that have read the book how is Stannis described as looking like? Im guessing the only fairy in the family is Renly while Stannis and Robert were warriors?
Spoiler [+]
yeah, renly is the only ayo in the family

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

For the people that have read the book how is Stannis described as looking like? Im guessing the only fairy in the family is Renly while Stannis and Robert were warriors?
Spoiler [+]
yeah, renly is the only ayo in the family

i must have not paid attention all that much (smh at me) but why is Kings Landing going to have to deal with the other 2 forces? (other then the Darthraki [sp]and obviously the Starks)
some one mentioned them to be as Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon of Dragonskull why are they going to war with the Lannisters?

i must have not paid attention all that much (smh at me) but why is Kings Landing going to have to deal with the other 2 forces? (other then the Darthraki [sp]and obviously the Starks)
some one mentioned them to be as Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon of Dragonskull why are they going to war with the Lannisters?

Originally Posted by Spidermachine916

those guys are next in line for being king after Robert died
this is their opportunity
they don't like the lannisters
There are other reasons which I am not going to go over

Originally Posted by Spidermachine916

those guys are next in line for being king after Robert died
this is their opportunity
they don't like the lannisters
There are other reasons which I am not going to go over

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Wow the book A Game of Thrones came out in 1996?

Being the nerd that I am how the hell had I never heard of the book series until the show got made?

30t6p3b.gif
at me

This and the Eye of the World series are what I read throughout junior-senior high. 
pimp.gif
 Definitely helped with English classes. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Wow the book A Game of Thrones came out in 1996?

Being the nerd that I am how the hell had I never heard of the book series until the show got made?

30t6p3b.gif
at me

This and the Eye of the World series are what I read throughout junior-senior high. 
pimp.gif
 Definitely helped with English classes. 
laugh.gif

^
laugh.gif

Ned
frown.gif
I still can't even hear about this show without getting pissed, so of course everyone everywhere chose now to talk about it.

I guess that means it worked.
30t6p3b.gif

^
laugh.gif

Ned
frown.gif
I still can't even hear about this show without getting pissed, so of course everyone everywhere chose now to talk about it.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by MrONegative

^
laugh.gif

Ned
frown.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Yo,

There's a little bit of swearing but I hope none of you guys report me.
laugh.gif
I'm pretty sure we all were acting like this when it went down.

Which NTer is this btw?
laugh.gif

"That N didn't even make it to the season finale"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by MrONegative

^
laugh.gif

Ned
frown.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Yo,

There's a little bit of swearing but I hope none of you guys report me.
laugh.gif
I'm pretty sure we all were acting like this when it went down.

Which NTer is this btw?
laugh.gif

"That N didn't even make it to the season finale"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

From an artistic standpoint I love that they kill a central character, this is not Star Trek, where only the guy in red dies. I like because the Death of a good man, great warrior and loving Father of six children happened and it happened swiftly at the hand of a capricious tyrant.

Such an outcome is in line with my view of the World, the one shared by both the the Ancient Greeks and Romans and that of my own Germanic ancestors (Anglo-Saxon, Rhinelander, Bavarian and Visigothic alike). Life is fundamentally a tragedy, we all die, we all could get killed or crippled or injured at any moment, physical and emotional pain are everywhere, old age is a time of pain and debilitation and is not one's "golden years." If you are successful, people will envy that success and someone is always out there wanting to take what you have There will always be people looking to kill, maim, rape, humiliate, subjugate you and your family (even if you have never meet them or never have wronged them in any way) and that in one form or another Winter is always coming.

I also like how we get to see the ugly and unvarnished world of absolute monarchy and the perils of win or politics. The poverty and insecurity and lack of dignity that is heaped on the shoulders of the masses, the results of the feuds between Aristocrats, is on full display and while this is listed as part of the Fantasy Genre, I hope that GoT thrones might change the minds of people who complain about how bad it is to live in a world of generally constrained government and generally unconstrained economic growth. The blandness and sameness of of our comfortable post industrial revolution, middle class lives are small prices to pay to live in a world where all but a lucky few live colorfull lives of misery, toil and poverty in rural villages and small provincial towns.

It is also one of life's tragedies that this season of GoT is so damn short.

BTW

I do not think that Cierci is worried about the Dothdraki yet. Earlier in the season she told Robert that they have no ships and no armor and no castles (and presumably no siege instruments) or discipline. Ned Stark also said that he would worry about the Dothdraki when their horses learned to gallop over the sea. Also keep in mind that Westros has formidable Naval power, it crushed the rebellion of the Iron Isles so the Dothdraki might have some trouble if the Westros Navy finds them sailing in troop transports and they have no Naval cover of their own.

Cierci was already worried about the battle with Stannis and she wanted an alliance with the North, which she described as too big to be conquered and governed. Even without an alliance with the North, she wanted them to at least just stay out of the war for King's Landing (and she will be even more disheartened to know that half of the Lannisterian forces were destroyed by Robb's army and that Jaime is a prisoner). If she wanted to avoid a war, she should have simply said that Ned Stark could leave, without bending his knee to Joffrey and just go to Winterfell and keep Sansa and Arya as hostages (to keep the North allied or at least be neutral) and when Ned dies, have Sansa marry Joffrey as was originally planned.

Maybe a little depressing, but I can't disagree with anything you said.  Very good post, as usual.  

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

From an artistic standpoint I love that they kill a central character, this is not Star Trek, where only the guy in red dies. I like because the Death of a good man, great warrior and loving Father of six children happened and it happened swiftly at the hand of a capricious tyrant.

Such an outcome is in line with my view of the World, the one shared by both the the Ancient Greeks and Romans and that of my own Germanic ancestors (Anglo-Saxon, Rhinelander, Bavarian and Visigothic alike). Life is fundamentally a tragedy, we all die, we all could get killed or crippled or injured at any moment, physical and emotional pain are everywhere, old age is a time of pain and debilitation and is not one's "golden years." If you are successful, people will envy that success and someone is always out there wanting to take what you have There will always be people looking to kill, maim, rape, humiliate, subjugate you and your family (even if you have never meet them or never have wronged them in any way) and that in one form or another Winter is always coming.

I also like how we get to see the ugly and unvarnished world of absolute monarchy and the perils of win or politics. The poverty and insecurity and lack of dignity that is heaped on the shoulders of the masses, the results of the feuds between Aristocrats, is on full display and while this is listed as part of the Fantasy Genre, I hope that GoT thrones might change the minds of people who complain about how bad it is to live in a world of generally constrained government and generally unconstrained economic growth. The blandness and sameness of of our comfortable post industrial revolution, middle class lives are small prices to pay to live in a world where all but a lucky few live colorfull lives of misery, toil and poverty in rural villages and small provincial towns.

It is also one of life's tragedies that this season of GoT is so damn short.

BTW

I do not think that Cierci is worried about the Dothdraki yet. Earlier in the season she told Robert that they have no ships and no armor and no castles (and presumably no siege instruments) or discipline. Ned Stark also said that he would worry about the Dothdraki when their horses learned to gallop over the sea. Also keep in mind that Westros has formidable Naval power, it crushed the rebellion of the Iron Isles so the Dothdraki might have some trouble if the Westros Navy finds them sailing in troop transports and they have no Naval cover of their own.

Cierci was already worried about the battle with Stannis and she wanted an alliance with the North, which she described as too big to be conquered and governed. Even without an alliance with the North, she wanted them to at least just stay out of the war for King's Landing (and she will be even more disheartened to know that half of the Lannisterian forces were destroyed by Robb's army and that Jaime is a prisoner). If she wanted to avoid a war, she should have simply said that Ned Stark could leave, without bending his knee to Joffrey and just go to Winterfell and keep Sansa and Arya as hostages (to keep the North allied or at least be neutral) and when Ned dies, have Sansa marry Joffrey as was originally planned.

Maybe a little depressing, but I can't disagree with anything you said.  Very good post, as usual.  

For those that have read the book...
Spoiler [+]
Does the blond headed chick (the khaleesi) really carry the dragon eggs into a fire and come back out with baby dragons under her arms? (or something like that. That's how it was explained to me.)

For those that have read the book...
Spoiler [+]
Does the blond headed chick (the khaleesi) really carry the dragon eggs into a fire and come back out with baby dragons under her arms? (or something like that. That's how it was explained to me.)

has the show mentioned how Robert Baratheon used to be a badass in his prime?
Spoiler [+]
robert-vs-rhaegar-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-zorya.jpg

pimp.gif
dat helm

has the show mentioned how Robert Baratheon used to be a badass in his prime?
Spoiler [+]
robert-vs-rhaegar-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-zorya.jpg

pimp.gif
dat helm

Back
Top Bottom