HBO's Series: Game of Thrones (4/17, 9:00-10:05 p.m. ET/PT)

Originally Posted by KOD843

Yea I just finished the first book earlier this week and there's no mention of Renley being gay at all that I can remember. Stannis is the one described as the "man's man" though. They said he never smiles or even laughs...lol

BTW, another thing the show left out that I thought was important was the fact that the dude the Hound jumped in to fight at the Tournament of the Hand to save the Knight of Flowers was actually his brother Gregor "The Mountain". His brother is the one who gave him the scars on his face and they have a crazy history. The Hound is actually quite fond of Sansa in the book and tells her the story.

On another note, the 2nd book is over 900 pages!

There is a minor mention of this in book 2 I think or book 3 maybe.  But it's very minor and if you don't pick it up then you might have just missed it.  It's definitely there though.

Yea I just finished the first book earlier this week and there's no mention of Renley being gay at all that I can remember. Stannis is the one described as the "man's man" though. They said he never smiles or even laughs...lol

BTW, another thing the show left out that I thought was important was the fact that the dude the Hound jumped in to fight at the Tournament of the Hand to save the Knight of Flowers was actually his brother Gregor "The Mountain". His brother is the one who gave him the scars on his face and they have a crazy history. The Hound is actually quite fond of Sansa in the book and tells her the story.

On another note, the 2nd book is over 900 pages!

There is a minor mention of this in book 2 I think or book 3 maybe.  But it's very minor and if you don't pick it up then you might have just missed it.  It's definitely there though.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

yeah Stannis definitely brings it up. Plus the whole Rainbow Guard thing 
roll.gif

A Storm of Swords is even longer than A Clash of Kings. I'm just starting A Feast for Crows now. The length is not a deterrent at all. if anything they're not long enough. The lore is sooo deep you just can't put it down.

yeah Stannis definitely brings it up. Plus the whole Rainbow Guard thing 
roll.gif

A Storm of Swords is even longer than A Clash of Kings. I'm just starting A Feast for Crows now. The length is not a deterrent at all. if anything they're not long enough. The lore is sooo deep you just can't put it down.

BTW, another thing the show left out that I thought was important was the fact that the dude the Hound jumped in to fight at the Tournament of the Hand to save the Knight of Flowers was actually his brother Gregor "The Mountain". His brother is the one who gave him the scars on his face and they have a crazy history.
That was in the show, and I've never read the books.

BTW, another thing the show left out that I thought was important was the fact that the dude the Hound jumped in to fight at the Tournament of the Hand to save the Knight of Flowers was actually his brother Gregor "The Mountain". His brother is the one who gave him the scars on his face and they have a crazy history.

Can someone who read the books explain how Robert got the throne in the first place?  After Jamie killed the mad king, why didn't the Lannisters swoop the throne?

Maybe I just don't get overall how a different house takes over the throne...

Can someone who read the books explain how Robert got the throne in the first place?  After Jamie killed the mad king, why didn't the Lannisters swoop the throne?

Originally Posted by truthmain

Knight's Guard members can't hold land or honors like that once they are sworn in, but he could have technically if he wanted to.  Ned could have sat upon it as well as he was in King's Landing before Robert.  But because Robert was the main leader of the rebellion, he was the obvious one to take over the throne upon completion of the rebellion.

Knight's Guard members can't hold land or honors like that once they are sworn in, but he could have technically if he wanted to.  Ned could have sat upon it as well as he was in King's Landing before Robert.  But because Robert was the main leader of the rebellion, he was the obvious one to take over the throne upon completion of the rebellion.

I didn't know the actor who played Jamie was the lead guy in New Amsterdam.  Did not recognize him at all.  That show was interesting, wish it lasted another season.  Another casualty of Fox, the show killing network.

I didn't know the actor who played Jamie was the lead guy in New Amsterdam.  Did not recognize him at all.  That show was interesting, wish it lasted another season.  Another casualty of Fox, the show killing network.

Robert's Rebellion:
The conflict began when Brandon Stark, who was about to be married to Catelyn Tully, learned that his sister, Lyanna Stark, had been kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaryen. Despite the pleading of Hoster Tully for patience, Brandon rode to the city of King's Landing. There, he went into the Red Keep shouting for Prince Rhaegar to come out and die. King Aerys II had Brandon arrested for threatening the crown prince, and summoned Rickard Stark, Brandon's father and Lord of Winterfell, to King’s Landing to fight in a trial by combat for his son’s treason. Aerys had Brandon and Rickard killed, with two hundred of Lord Stark’s best men.

Along with the Starks, Brandon's companions, Jeffory MallisterKyle Royce, and Elbert Arryn (nephew and heir of Lord Jon Arryn of the Vale), were accused of treason, and when their fathers came to King’s Landing to answer for their sons’ indiscretions, they were all killed after perfunctory trials by King Aerys. Brandon's squire Ethan Glover, however, was not killed along with his companions. When Aerys demanded that Jon Arryn release Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark so that they too could be executed, Jon instead raised his banners in revolt. However, many of Jon's bannermen sided with the King, chief among them Lord Grafton, who called the other loyalists to aid him in barring Jon and Robert from entering his port of Gulltown. After the fall of Gulltown's defenses, Robert was able to return to Storm's End, while Eddard returned North. Both men called on their own bannermen.

House Tully was recruited to the rebels when Eddard and Jon married Catelyn and Lysa respectively, the daughters of Hoster Tully, Lord of Riverrun.[sup][1][/sup] The other great houses, Tyrell and Martell stayed loyal to the throne. There is no information about the choice of House Greyjoy.

Robert's Rebellion:
The conflict began when Brandon Stark, who was about to be married to Catelyn Tully, learned that his sister, Lyanna Stark, had been kidnapped by Rhaegar Targaryen. Despite the pleading of Hoster Tully for patience, Brandon rode to the city of King's Landing. There, he went into the Red Keep shouting for Prince Rhaegar to come out and die. King Aerys II had Brandon arrested for threatening the crown prince, and summoned Rickard Stark, Brandon's father and Lord of Winterfell, to King’s Landing to fight in a trial by combat for his son’s treason. Aerys had Brandon and Rickard killed, with two hundred of Lord Stark’s best men.

Along with the Starks, Brandon's companions, Jeffory MallisterKyle Royce, and Elbert Arryn (nephew and heir of Lord Jon Arryn of the Vale), were accused of treason, and when their fathers came to King’s Landing to answer for their sons’ indiscretions, they were all killed after perfunctory trials by King Aerys. Brandon's squire Ethan Glover, however, was not killed along with his companions. When Aerys demanded that Jon Arryn release Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark so that they too could be executed, Jon instead raised his banners in revolt. However, many of Jon's bannermen sided with the King, chief among them Lord Grafton, who called the other loyalists to aid him in barring Jon and Robert from entering his port of Gulltown. After the fall of Gulltown's defenses, Robert was able to return to Storm's End, while Eddard returned North. Both men called on their own bannermen.

House Tully was recruited to the rebels when Eddard and Jon married Catelyn and Lysa respectively, the daughters of Hoster Tully, Lord of Riverrun.[sup][1][/sup] The other great houses, Tyrell and Martell stayed loyal to the throne. There is no information about the choice of House Greyjoy.

Robert and the Baratheons/Lannisters are not true heirs to the throne. Robert usurped power from the ruling Targaryens, which is where Daenrys fits in her quest to regain control of her throne. Like Biggie said, Jaime (the man who slew King Aryes Targaryen) was a Kingsgaurd knight, and so he can't inherit any land. Lord Tywin Lannister however did set himself up to take advantage of the situation. Cersei was wed to Robert, sealing his family interests in the throne

Robert and the Baratheons/Lannisters are not true heirs to the throne. Robert usurped power from the ruling Targaryens, which is where Daenrys fits in her quest to regain control of her throne. Like Biggie said, Jaime (the man who slew King Aryes Targaryen) was a Kingsgaurd knight, and so he can't inherit any land. Lord Tywin Lannister however did set himself up to take advantage of the situation. Cersei was wed to Robert, sealing his family interests in the throne

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Well I must have missed that then cause I watched that episode again to check.

Jamie was sitting on the throne like he was tempted to take it but Ned made him get up. Ned could have taken the throne too but his honor and loyalty wouldn't let him betray Robert.

Jamie was sitting on the throne like he was tempted to take it but Ned made him get up. Ned could have taken the throne too but his honor and loyalty wouldn't let him betray Robert.

@ 1:21

Back
Top Bottom