HBO's Series: Game of Thrones (4/17, 9:00-10:05 p.m. ET/PT)

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

HBO is already kicking out 60 mil a season, no way they gonna add more episodes
Damn.  They better put out the a dvd with the quickness after this season.  With a budget like that, we'll be lucky if they get to season 3.  They can probably cut some costs by having all the attractive female characters naked.  
devil.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

http://www.hollywoodrepor...hrones-by-numbers-178659
The Game of Thrones's budget has been compared to that of Rome.[12] The pilot reportedly cost HBO between US$5 - 10 million,[4] and the total budget for the first season has been estimated at US$50 – 60 million.[13]

So how does HBO make money on these shows if they're dishing out so much?
I mean they must be making a lot since they seem to always spend 

The Game of Thrones's budget has been compared to that of Rome.[12] The pilot reportedly cost HBO between US$5 - 10 million,[4] and the total budget for the first season has been estimated at US$50 – 60 million.[13]

so i just caught up with ep 6
i just wanna know one thing... they keep toying with the dragon eggs, and i just wanna know....will we see a dragon?
nerd.gif

so i just caught up with ep 6
i just wanna know one thing... they keep toying with the dragon eggs, and i just wanna know....will we see a dragon?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SCuse7

How much do you think a TV show costs? Just about every drama on primetime is $1-2 mil an episode and those are regular everyday people.
With HBO, it doesn't matter how many people watch a show. It matters how much acclaim their shows get, and what different kind of people the show gets to subscribe to HBO. So Treme can stay on TV for years, because it gets a completely different kind of subscriber than Boardwalk Empire or Games or True Blood.

HBO makes money, because they, by themselves have the pull to get $15 bucks a month for only their channels.

The big networks don't have subscribers, they have affiliates, ads and advertisers. So every show has to fend for itself. That's why a show like Battlestar Galactica that had all that acclaim and hype almost got cancelled before it's last season, because it cost too much money. HBO is basically an indie film studio that doesn't have to worry about big opening weekends or distribution.

They like ratings, but they care more about subscribers.

My only thing with this show is...there's 5 books...and they keep getting bigger? And the guy's not done with the story yet?...so there could be 6 or 7 seasons and that's not even the end of the show? Iono if anyone could keep this on for a decade.
ohwell.gif
 Eventually whoever's watching it, is who's gonna watch it. And they'll have other ideas for that crowd.

How much do you think a TV show costs? Just about every drama on primetime is $1-2 mil an episode and those are regular everyday people.
With HBO, it doesn't matter how many people watch a show. It matters how much acclaim their shows get, and what different kind of people the show gets to subscribe to HBO. So Treme can stay on TV for years, because it gets a completely different kind of subscriber than Boardwalk Empire or Games or True Blood.

HBO makes money, because they, by themselves have the pull to get $15 bucks a month for only their channels.

The big networks don't have subscribers, they have affiliates, ads and advertisers. So every show has to fend for itself. That's why a show like Battlestar Galactica that had all that acclaim and hype almost got cancelled before it's last season, because it cost too much money. HBO is basically an indie film studio that doesn't have to worry about big opening weekends or distribution.

My only thing with this show is...there's 5 books...and they keep getting bigger? And the guy's not done with the story yet?...so there could be 6 or 7 seasons and that's not even the end of the show? Iono if anyone could keep this on for a decade.
ohwell.gif
 Eventually whoever's watching it, is who's gonna watch it. And they'll have other ideas for that crowd.

They might've made that money back already. New subscribers due to hbo go and selling thrones episodes abroad for 2.5 mill an episode? dvds and blu rays not even out yet? they good. I imagine post run syndication will even be more beastly.

They might've made that money back already. New subscribers due to hbo go and selling thrones episodes abroad for 2.5 mill an episode? dvds and blu rays not even out yet? they good. I imagine post run syndication will even be more beastly.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

ohwell.gif
MrONegative - Spot on. DVD sales and merchandising for franchise shows like The Sopranos, True Blood, Sex and the City are HUGE money makers as well. Most people never even caught on to The Wire until word of mouth boosted DVD sales.

And for those that don't know, HBO makes SUBSTANTIALLY more per subscriber compared to Showtime and Starz. It's not even close.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

ohwell.gif
MrONegative - Spot on. DVD sales and merchandising for franchise shows like The Sopranos, True Blood, Sex and the City are HUGE money makers as well. Most people never even caught on to The Wire until word of mouth boosted DVD sales.

And for those that don't know, HBO makes SUBSTANTIALLY more per subscriber compared to Showtime and Starz. It's not even close.

Now has was Daenerys able to pick up that red hot Dragon egg without a single burn. I know she ended with "Fire can't kill a dragon, but that was surprising"

Now has was Daenerys able to pick up that red hot Dragon egg without a single burn. I know she ended with "Fire can't kill a dragon, but that was surprising"

^She also wasn't hurt by that near boiling water she bathed in in one of the earlier episodes.

Apparently if you're a true "Dragon" heat and fire can't harm you.

^She also wasn't hurt by that near boiling water she bathed in in one of the earlier episodes.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

you aren't about that life right?just wanted to make sure

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

you aren't about that life right?just wanted to make sure

Back
Top Bottom